Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ever Polished a Cast Iron Skillett??

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone Ever Polished a Cast Iron Skillett??

I am considering my cast iron skillet gone. Haven't seen it since we moved 19 years ago.
    I looked at the Lodge skillets and they are rough as cobbs. There are YouTUbe vids of folks who have polished them with good results. Any first hand results to share??
    Mine was pretty darn smooth to begin with and after seasoning food didn't stick.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

I would not make smooth. Just season. I think you will be happy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Noticed the same thing on my "newer" cast cookware. Don't have an answer for you. Kind of interested, myself. I did have a wok & a cast iron fry pan that had curved or "domed" bottoms. Didn't make for a good heat / contact transfer from the electric range. It was the devil grinding them flat so they would sit in contact with the heating surface. My old stuff is much better.

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone Ever Polished a Cast Iron Skillett??

Yep, polished one new Lodge. I've been fighting sticking ever since. Tried one new out of the box, works great. I regret polishing it up.

Perma-Banned
    never felt the need or saw a reason to. as long as it's cleaned right & seasoned good it'll be fine. and that rough inside finish will be smoothed out before ya know it. the she-griz's cheapo Chinee skillet was rough enough to use for a rasp when it was new & now with just a little nudge and a shake eggs just slide right around in it.

Boolit Grand Master

Its the roughness that holds the oils and greases as it seasons. As it seasons the low areas fill in with the seasonings and it becomes smoother and much slicker. Doing away with the hills and valleys takes away the oil holding capabilities making it stick with foods.

Moderator Emeritus

I use the old stuff daily (Griswold).

A few years ago, My Dad bought a new Lodge pan with Ribs (to create grill marks), besides the Ribs, it had the lodge bumpy finish. He gave it to me, after he decided, he didn't like it. I used it once, and let me tell you, that thing was a bugger to clean, I suspect my Mom cleaned off the seasoning? I seen no real use for it, for my type of cooking, so I donated it the local thrift store with a bunch of other stuff.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I won two new cast iron fry pans last summer at a shoot. One, I smoothed up, the other was left rough. I seasoned both exactly the same, and have used them equally. The rough one definitely has seasoned best.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    There is one called a Stargazer that is smooth and expensive. Same with Field Company. Smooth as a modern pan. Caries the price tag.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Electric drill, some polish paste, and a polishing ball. Mother's is a brand of wheel polish, works well. Afterwards, clean well and season.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Yep, polished one new Lodge. I've been fighting sticking ever since. Tried one new out of the box, works great. I regret polishing it up.
    Sorry to hear that. Just doesn't make sense to me, but I guess you can't argue with experience. Why should polishing work if done by the manufacturer, but not by the owner?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Moderator Emeritus

I have one of those grill pans with the ridges... PITA(Pain in the....) to clean and everything sticks and I never took the factory seasoning off.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I use the old stuff daily (Griswold).

A few years ago, My Dad bought a new Lodge pan with Ribs (to create grill marks), besides the Ribs, it had the lodge bumpy finish. He gave it to me, after he decided, he didn't like it. I used it once, and let me tell you, that thing was a bugger to clean, I suspect my Mom cleaned off the seasoning? I seen no real use for it, for my type of cooking, so I donated it the local thrift store with a bunch of other stuff.

Vendor Sponsor

I have both new and old, rough and smooth. I have lots of vintage nice old Griswold and Wagner pans, old 3 notch Lodge, Wapak, National, Puritan, among others. New Lodge works best if left alone and just cooked on. I have a new Lodge griddle that I have stuck over the 135,000 BTU Bayou Classic gas burner until it was gray and dang near red hot, to blacken salmon on. Afterwards, cleaned it up even with soapy water and a stainless scrubbee, then oiled it and put it away. I used it tonite for cooking some Indian flat bread, no sticking, no evidence it has ever been that hot, it's best used just like it came from Walmart...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I bet the makers polished with coarser abrasives, leaving the surface more open. Metal polish or buffing tends to "wipe the pores over", for lack of a better term, which could interfere with retaining seasoning. Just a theory, though.

Boolit Master

The older quality iron had higher nickle content than the new stuff, making it more machinable and filling in the pores in the iron. I think that machining modern iron just opens more pores for things to stick to.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

I wish I had a lathe big enough to mount my cast iron skillets in to smooth / flatten the inner surface of the bottom.

Not that I think it would necessarily work better for cooking, but I just wish I had a lathe that big.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 03-10-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Banned
    I've never run across a pan that was new that was worth anything. You need one that 40 or 50 years old. I won't agree with polishing because from what I have seen it has been a hindrance instead of a help. Keep em old keep them rough and keep them seasoned.

Boolit Master

I have sanded a Lodge recently, and it is working well. I used an orbital sander with 6" disc, 100 grit. Didn't go totally smooth, just what felt right. I wanted a few large pores left, but the surface was too sharp and pointy as delivered.

I then seasoned with peanut oil in the oven per usual methods, except I did it twice and the second time got distracted and left it in there about 2 hours.

It works well, better than the original seasoning and no fingers on a chalkboard sound when moving something across it to turn food.

I would do it again, it worked for me.

Bulldogger

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I've never run across a pan that was new that was worth anything. You need one that 40 or 50 years old. I won't agree with polishing because from what I have seen it has been a hindrance instead of a help. Keep em old keep them rough and keep them seasoned.
    Absolutely. The Lodge that I had was a LOT smoother than the ones I ran my hand over at Fleet Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    I have sanded a Lodge recently, and it is working well. I used an orbital sander with 6" disc, 100 grit. Didn't go totally smooth, just what felt right. I wanted a few large pores left, but the surface was too sharp and pointy as delivered.

I then seasoned with peanut oil in the oven per usual methods, except I did it twice and the second time got distracted and left it in there about 2 hours.

It works well, better than the original seasoning and no fingers on a chalkboard sound when moving something across it to turn food.

I would do it again, it worked for me.

Bulldogger
    Still deciding. Like you, It won't be mirror smooth, just take the pyramid sharp spots down a bit.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master
    I never made stew or chili in my old pan. I used it for frying. Breakfast, porkchops and steaks in winter, and a lot of home fries with onions.
    Advice on making chili or stew. Does that dissolve the seasoning layer??

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast