RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: refinishing a gunstock

Boolit Mold

refinishing a gunstock

After you have removed the old finish from the checkering, what finish do you use to protect that area, how do you keep the new finish from clogging up the checkering?
    Stay Safe!!!

I like Formby's satin poly varnish. I apply it lightly with a toothbrush and really spread it on thin. Be careful with this if your wood is still filled so far as the grain is concerned, it will only take a smidgin to do the job. The reason I like it is more for new checkering where it soaks into the wood and several coats are needed. In that situation it hardens the wood and strengthens the checkering, and doesn't build up.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    I cut TruOil with a 1 to 1 ratio with mineral spirits to thin it, then do what leftiye said. Thin coats!
    Selmerfan

Boolit Master
    A good thick masking tape- I use 3M brand. I cover the pattern with one layer then get it to stick real good by taking a brass "toothbrush" and going all over the pattern. Follow the lines both ways with the brush. Then take a razor blade or xacto knife and run around the boarder line of the pattern to trim the tape. With good quality tape you can sand lightly over the checkering without going through the tape. After finishing is done, take the razor blade and run it along the boarder lines again before peeling off the tape. This is to prevent pulling up any finish around the checkering pattern with the tape. After removing the tape I take a checkering tool and clean out the boarder line, then take a little thinned finish and brush it in the whole pattern, just like leftiye and selmerfan.