Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a little windy?

Boolit Master

Just a little windy?

Well my little corner of paradise got hammered with epic winds today, the whole state of MI as a matter of fact, bother has no power, sister and Grandfather no power, my aunt lost a piece of roof, the way some areas gusted up to 70 mile an hour, straight line winds here of high 60s! Lots of poles and trees down, my people are all okay and self reliant so no worries for them and it did solve one of my problems; a huge pile of burnable spring clean up yard waste has blown several parceles down wind! Just kidding we will pick it all back up! Thoughts and prayers for anyone traveling or who sustained damage! The wind is supposed to pick up again tomorrow, next few days I may take off work for fire wood getting! Stay safe!

We got some of that last weekend....had to saw our way out of the driveway/road, and had to help saw the neighbor out. Walked the property earlier this week...probably 30-40 trees down, but thankfully no property damage. One pine missed the corner of the house literally by inches. We are blessed!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I watched tractor trailer rigs getting shoved part way onto the shoulder and fighting to get back on track and maintain control on I-96 and decided the old 2 lane route with some trees and houses to break the wind was a better choice. Wife called work to tell me no power. Wonder if she will buy I'm in the garage smelting lead so the burner can help keep the house warm? Pretty soon will be generator time if power doesn't come back.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Prayers to you, Brother. I have family in that area. Better reach out to them and see if they're okay.

Sounds like ya'll getting it a bit worse than we did. Hope you have supplies laid in.....imagine you do. Make the best of it...we always call it a 'hurricane party' when we get a storm and power goes down. Takes the edge off for the kids and we make the best of it.

Prayers up for a quick recovery.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Wood, water, food, good book, adult beverage and checker board, Check! Guest bedroom opened so it warms up and it's open to whom ever needs it as is the couch bed !

Moderator Emeritus

Used to high winds here in SW MN and they build the power system to take it. I had a couple small 5 minute outages as lines slapped together but power stayed on. My weather station recorded a 70mph gust last night...

Well played, Nagant..... Heck, if it wasn't such a long drive, I might take you up on that offer!

In Remembrance
    We get winds all the time here, but keep in mind I live in higher altitude in what we call semi-arid plateau and normal. Winds come and go with the climate, whenever the seasons change we get wind. We have a wind generator that sounds like a Cessna ready for take-off and you aren't sleeping at night when that happens.

I have a spot of roofing that needs to be repaired, let me say that having lead ingots around pays off. Those lead ingots will hold things down till it lets up and I can re-roof that little section of roof.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

We got lucky. basically, everybody on the west side of Saginaw county has lost power but, us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Batavia, NY reports a train-railroad train-blown over by winds. Wallyworld garden store in Gates_Rochester suburb-lost its roof.
    Gusts to near 80 according to Airport reports.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Wood, water, food, good book, adult beverage and checker board, Check! Guest bedroom opened so it warms up and it's open to whom ever needs it as is the couch bed !
    Probably doesn't get any better than that.

Boolit Buddy
    I went to the range. Didn't shoot rifle haha... it was nuts. There was a tree down in the entry to the club. The kids who pull skeet weren't pulling, so they got to play w/ chain saws

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    We get winds all the time here, but keep in mind I live in higher altitude in what we call semi-arid plateau and normal. Winds come and go with the climate, whenever the seasons change we get wind. We have a wind generator that sounds like a Cessna ready for take-off and you aren't sleeping at night when that happens.

I have a spot of roofing that needs to be repaired, let me say that having lead ingots around pays off. Those lead ingots will hold things down till it lets up and I can re-roof that little section of roof.
    I know this end of the world, Grumpa. Lived in Prescott Valley for years, and we 'vacationed' up your way quite a bit. Actually got engaged to my bride in Snowflake.

Pretty windy on the Wisconsin side of lake Michigan too. Neighbors shingles were laying all over our yard when I got home from work. Right now they're at their 2nd. home in Tennessee and I'm banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to contact them to let them know part of their roof is gone.

Boolit Master
    In North Dakota if the wind stops you think there is a problem, last night it hit a high of 74 mph gusts.

Yup. Power is out here too. Power company is predicting to regain power on the 11th LOL.

Generator is running, going to pick up a few extra space heaters to help keep the missus warm

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    I know this end of the world, Grumpa. Lived in Prescott Valley for years, and we 'vacationed' up your way quite a bit. Actually got engaged to my bride in Snowflake.
    Snowflake is the town we have to go to in order to do our grocery shopping. That in itself is a 2 1\2hr round trip without stops, but give me the remote life any day and I'm happy. I don't know when you were here last, except for some cosmetic improvements, and a WallyWorld they built in Taylor not much has changed since 93.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Well my little corner of paradise got hammered with epic winds today, the whole state of MI as a matter of fact, bother has no power, sister and Grandfather no power, my aunt lost a piece of roof, the way some areas gusted up to 70 mile an hour, straight line winds here of high 60s! Lots of poles and trees down, my people are all okay and self reliant so no worries for them and it did solve one of my problems; a huge pile of burnable spring clean up yard waste has blown several parceles down wind! Just kidding we will pick it all back up! Thoughts and prayers for anyone traveling or who sustained damage! The wind is supposed to pick up again tomorrow, next few days I may take off work for fire wood getting! Stay safe!
    Our prayers are with you. We north Texans know wind- unfortunately it's often the rotating variety. Those straight lines & down shears are no fun either. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    I live in northern Michigan and I put my .17hmr to the test today: 30-45 mph cross\sustained winds and can still put a hurting on a golf ball at 100 yards with a dead center hold every time. I'm liking the 17 hmr round more and more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast