Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New TC Renegade 1" Factory 27" 60 cal Smooth bore barrel

Boolit Master

New TC Renegade 1" Factory 27" 60 cal Smooth bore barrel

Just picked up a new never fired TC 56 cal smooth bore barrel ,mainly because I never knew they existed and more shot means more squirrels . Anyone own one ,and does a 590 round ball sound right ? I have a bid on a Lyman mold but there does not seem to be a lot of choice in Lee molds . Attachment 190030 Thanks Ed
    Last edited by Edward; 03-18-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is always Jeff Tanner and his custom RB molds. I got a couple from him and they are pretty inexpensive and extremely well made.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Just picked up a new never fired TC 60 cal smooth bore barrel ,mainly because I never knew they existed and more shot means more squirrels . Anyone own one ,and does a 590 round ball sound right ? I have a bid on a Lyman mold but there does not seem to be a lot of choice in Lee molds .
    Cool find Edward!! This is the first one of these I've seen. I'm guessing TC didn't make many of them? I spend quite a bit of time on Ebay, Gunbroker, etc. and never seen one of these

Perma-Banned
    This is a .56 Cal right, Not .60 Cal? Your pic and description don't match. I have seen several .56 Cals for sale the last couple years. If its a .56 Cal you DEFINITELY DON'T wanna get a .590 Round Ball mold, unless you have a REALLY good hammer and Ramrod

Perma-Banned
    as noted, the barrel in yer "pitcher" is from a T/C 56 smoothbore Renegade. if that's what it is you'd need .550 diameter ball for it. if it's a rebore are ya sure it's not a 62cal/20ga which would require a .600 diameter roundball.

Boolit Grand Master

There's a guy selling some rebored T/C barrels on flea bay now. I was just looking at a Renegade barrel that had slanted rifling.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Tried getting it in the photo brand new ,it says 56 S.B. .I plan on sticking it in my 1in Hawken stock . Did not need it but figured I would be the 1st on my block to have one and it will hold more shot than the 50 smooth bore I got from you (Great squirrel killer too!)

Yep, 56 cal smooth bore.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Perma-Banned
    well if it's 56cal you'd need the .550 balls for it. the moulds are like unicorn sweat(kinda rare) but, Track of the Wolf sells the balls. for shot use I believe people have used 28ga wads in them with good results.

luck & have a good'en friend, bubba.

Edward,
    Just my two cents...
    Might try a .535 ball and some thick fabric for patch (compressible fabric like corduroy) and large loads of powder.
    Put a card over the powder and cut the patch at the muzzle to keep from have patch folded over in front* of the ball.

*There's no spin to promote the patch leaving cleanly.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I love a smoothie. Easy to load, easy to clean. With me, same accuracy out to 50 yards as my rifled bores.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Edward,
    Just my two cents...
    Might try a .535 ball and some thick fabric for patch (compressible fabric like corduroy) and large loads of powder.
    Put a card over the powder and cut the patch at the muzzle to keep from have patch folded over in front* of the ball.

*There's no spin to promote the patch leaving cleanly.

this is what I did except I just double-patched with whatever cheap pre-lubed patches Wally-World had at the time. also, didn't use or see the need for over-powder cards. with 70gr equivalent of Pyrodex RS it was deer accurate to 60 or 75 yards or so.

FWIW, I used both .535" PRB's on deer & 28ga shotcups on small game in my Renegade 56SB, and while the shot/shotcup/overwad worked "ok", the game had to be fairly close for it to be effective.

OTOH, the .535" PRB was decently-accurate - enough for me to easily take a few whitetails with it.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

If it's 60 caliber, it's been rebored. If it's 56, .535 balls will work with a thick patch. I had one that shot like a rifle with that ball, 60 grains of ffG powder, and a thick patch cut from an old pair of jeans. Oh, yeah, I used a Wonder Wad, too.

very versatile piece you have there.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    There's a guy selling some rebored T/C barrels on flea bay now. I was just looking at a Renegade barrel that had slanted rifling.
    I saw that one. He also had a T/C Hawken barrel rebored to .62 caliber with cut rifling at 1:66 twist. I think it went for over $300, which seemed a little steep to me. Bob Hoyt will do the same job for around $100 or less I think.

Got rifling cut in a used GM .62 flinter barrel.
    Love it.

Boolit Master
    I found one of these Barrels and a cracked stock at a LGS about two years ago.
    Got the rest of the parts from bubba.50. and fixed the stock.
    The rifle shoots well, but I was considering having it rebored and rifled to in either .58 or .62.
    But if these are a Rare Breed, I may consider leaving it the way it is.
    Not that I plan to make a ton of money off it someday, but more the Unique factor, and maybe someone would want it for hunting in a Smoothbore only M L hunting area.
    I hear some states still have them or want to make more Primitive Hunting seasons.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    I saw that one. He also had a T/C Hawken barrel rebored to .62 caliber with cut rifling at 1:66 twist. I think it went for over $300, which seemed a little steep to me. Bob Hoyt will do the same job for around $100 or less I think.
    Mr Hoyt was 120 the last i checked, i am thinking about sending him a .54 Renegade to bore out to .58

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    well if it's 56cal you'd need the .550 balls for it. the moulds are like unicorn sweat(kinda rare) but, Track of the Wolf sells the balls. for shot use I believe people have used 28ga wads in them with good results.

luck & have a good'en friend, bubba.
    And the good news is I just found a new never used Lyman 550 mold to go with my new never shot 56 cal barrel that goes perfectly on my long range 1inch Hawken stock,by the way mirror finish on the bore is outstanding ! Its a good day/Ed[Attachment 190945Attachment 190946
    Last edited by Edward; 03-18-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Perma-Banned
    gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast