Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: fixing a barrel or breech face

Boolit Mold

fixing a barrel or breech face

working on a win 1906 22 lr. gun will not remove the spent case. the spent case is very tight in the chamber after firing. get the case out with screw driver and needle nose and check dimensions. starting from the rim .230, half way 228, near bullet 226.
    Nice gun hate to reline the barrel, would like to discuss other possible fixes.

Sounds more like a extractor issue.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Grand Master

Several areas to look at I can think of off the top of my head. Some of these rifles were fired with corrosive 22 Short ammo and may have a ring at the point of the shorts case mouth in the chamber that's grabs and holds the brass. Another is if it was dry fired some the firing pin may have put a small ding on the edge of the barrel creating a burr on the edge of the chamber that holds the case in place, I have seen this more on pistols but it dosnt hurt to look. As mentioned above check the extractor but what you describe sounds like the case is "tighter" in the chamber than it should be.

Boolit Grand Master

You can just reline the chamber if need be. I would look for a short ring first. If no ring then a chamber dent can be ironed out with the right tool.

I would add to all the previous advice- wrap a .25 cal bronze brush with steel wool, chuck it and a section of cleaning rod in a cordless drill and polish that chamber. Try this first and go from there. I was able to clean out the "short ring" out of a gun just like yours. It didn't help the two barrel bulges though.....

Boolit Master

Dry fire dent in chamber face? if so needs to be ironed out the metal displaced back to the face of the barrel.