MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

After reading this thread, I went and checked my 1895. It looks good to me, shallow rifling but all there. I got it from WM last October. It's the Guide Gun so maybe that makes a difference. I hope that they finally get you a truly great barrel/rifle. I cannot believe the hoops you have had to go through with this.
    Last edited by RKJ; 08-04-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Man
    I'm saving the pictures to be deleted or posted until I receive the rifle back. I did get a new camera, and the pictures are much better.
    Last edited by comprschrg; 08-06-2017 at 12:30 PM.

It seems to me that someone at the factory would get the memo about this and personally see that you got a good barrel/rifle. I hope that they will and soon. Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

The original purchase, out of the box, was a good indicator of what you could expect.
    I'm sure glad the older one that fell in my lap many years ago is great. Your experience would be a nightmare.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Man
    RKJ, Thank you. I was told the rifle would go straight to remington/marlin this time and get into the hands of someone that can make a difference. I just hope this whole thing will wake up the person that dose the quality control, like others have said on this thread. Remington now knows this thread exists, It would sure be nice if every person involved would read EVERY post.

It just amazes me that you've had to send these rifles back 4 times and still they can't (won't) take the time to make it right. I would think that someone there would take the lead and push this through to take care of you.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    It just amazes me that you've had to send these rifles back 4 times and still they can't (won't) take the time to make it right. I would think that someone there would take the lead and push this through to take care of you.
    They are this time. I hope, I picked up some more packing tape yesterday. The Brown truck should pick it up tomorrow.

It is sad that probably most of the people that work there do there best. Then some yahoo posts a bunch of stuff like this and makes them look bad. They obviously had a tool that went bad and no one picked up on it. The machine just kept running. I'd love to see or take a tour of the place. I just want to get back to shootin.

Quote Originally Posted by comprschrg View Post
    They are this time. I hope, I picked up some more packing tape yesterday. The Brown truck should pick it up tomorrow.

It is sad that probably most of the people that work there do there best. Then some yahoo posts a bunch of stuff like this and makes them look bad. They obviously had a tool that went bad and no one picked up on it. The machine just kept running. I'd love to see or take a tour of the place. I just want to get back to shootin.
    I;m sure you're right about the workers, I still believe that most people take pride in their work. But, someone in management or QC should have taken the lead on it the 2nd time it came back and watched it through to the end. There's no excuse for what you've had to go through with this rifle. My fingers are crossed for you.

Boolit Man
    I;m sure you're right about the workers, I still believe that most people take pride in their work. But, someone in management or QC should have taken the lead on it the 2nd time it came back and watched it through to the end. There's no excuse for what you've had to go through with this rifle. My fingers are crossed for you.
    Thank you.
    By the way Have you found any loads that work good for you. The only molds I have for 45-70 are Lyman 457124, 457132 (to big) RCBS 45-325-FN-U, 45-500-BPS (also to big), Saeco #017 (350 fpgc)(no crimp grove ), #018 (405 fp). I've had a good selection loaded up since January when I first ordered the rifle. I've wanted to order a Ranch dog but been kinda put off.
    Last edited by comprschrg; 08-07-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Boolit Master

Even good workers get discouraged and quit trying when they are thwarted at every turn by bad management. For some reason something happens to the brains of supposedly good people when they get promoted to "manager".

Several years before I retired, I worked in a facility where everyone hated the top manager except those who spent all their time kissing his a$$.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Even good workers get discouraged and quit trying when they are thwarted at every turn by bad management. For some reason something happens to the brains of supposedly good people when they get promoted to "manager".

Several years before I retired, I worked in a facility where everyone hated the top manager except those who spent all their time kissing his a$$.
    Yep. Right or wrong, the people I work with don't give a rat's *** if the work gets done right or not. They are just there to collect a paycheck. All due to piss poor management that spends all day trying to catch them doing something wrong. The management where I work are pencil pushing desk jockeys, that would have no idea how to do the job they are managing.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 08-07-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    Four bad barrels!!! I cannot believe this thread is still ongoing. I hope fifth is the charm, but at this point I wouldn't hold my breath. Any pictures of the 4th barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Man
    [QUOTE=2ndAmendmentNut;4119965]Four bad barrels!!! I cannot believe this thread is still ongoing. I hope fifth is the charm, but at this point I wouldn't hold my breath. Any pictures of the 4th barrel?

I do have pictures of the forth barrel. It's really about the same as the others. I used my wives new camera and they came out a little better. I wasn't sure if I should post them because the customer relations guy at marlin seemed so nice. (I know it's his job) I didn't know if I'd be cutting my own throat, but I've already posted this much. So I suppose it doesn't matter. I told customer service about this thread last time, they didn't care. This time (a different person) I also told. He had me go over the pictures with him. He assured me I would be taken care of. The ups driver just picked it up and it is going to a different address than any of the other times.
    oops, I uploaded the pictures yesterday, they were there this morning, but now there gone. I'll load them again.

Boolit Master
    You sir have way more patience than me. After the second trip around and still have the same problem that Marlin would be long gone. Funny thing, I have two Marlins in 30-30. One is a 336 that I bought used and the kindest thing I can say about it is that it does have rifling. The second is a 336 with AW which I believe is a walmart rifle. Bore on that one is beautiful as is the rest of the rifle. I sincerely hope that wherever your rifle went that they make it good, at this point in time you deserve it. Keep us posted on what you end up with. Best of luck. Frank

Boolit Master
    Pictures please. After four bad barrels you owe the guys at Remington nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Quote Originally Posted by comprschrg View Post
    Thank you.
    By the way Have you found any loads that work good for you. The only molds I have for 45-70 are Lyman 457124, 457132 (to big) RCBS 45-325-FN-U, 45-500-BPS (also to big), Saeco #017 (350 fpgc)(no crimp grove ), #018 (405 fp). I've had a good selection loaded up since January when I first ordered the rifle. I've wanted to order a Ranch dog but been kinda put off.
    I've just got the LEE 340, I'm still working with it and it does pretty good. I usually start with LEE to figure out my learning curve and move up from there. I'm going to have to look at that RCBS mold you mentioned, I bet that would be just dandy for what I want to do around here in MO.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Yep. Right or wrong, the people I work with don't give a rat's *** if the work gets done right or not. They are just there to collect a paycheck. All due to piss poor management that spends all day trying to catch them doing something wrong. The management where I work are pencil pushing desk jockeys, that would have no idea how to do the job they are managing.
    Sounds like you work where I work!
    Our motto is, "The whippings will continue until morale improves!"
    I am an auto tech and it is a small community here. We have no applicants to replace those who have quit, yet the owners love the managers. Go figure.

Boolit Buddy
    I hope you get this thing squared away this time.
    I can not even imagine how high your frustration level is right now.
    Remington should compensate you for all the money and time you have wasted on a defective product. Hopefully they will.

Boolit Man
    Ok I found the pictures. I had to ask the wife where they went. (in her file, in a folder, inside a folder, inside a folder)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2306.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	201405 This is before I cleaned it. It's the best land. You can click on the picture and it will zoom. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2296.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	201404 This is the side with almost no lands. You can barley get a tooth pick to snag on the bumps. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2358.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	201403 And cleaned with only one patch of sweets 7.62. can you see any lands? Notice the punch mark on the crown, and the same roller coaster sanded, dull tool crown. No 17 degree target crown here. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2388.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	201402 Another. Attachment 201401 This has the dent in the land. Attachment 201400 And last, This is The best, Kinda what the inside of the bore should look like.
    I don't know why There are two pictures that got transposed, goofed up in the download. It doesn't matter. you can see the bad side ok.
    And no, that's not grease on my fingers. we just got finished pulling all the beets from the garden, boiling them, pealing them. Ahh hence the black in the cracks. then canning them for winter dinner salads. If you haven't canned beets. It's a lot of work if you forget to check how much sugar you have, and have to drive 70 miles round trip to the store.
    Last edited by comprschrg; 08-08-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    I hope you get this thing squared away this time.
    I can not even imagine how high your frustration level is right now.
    Remington should compensate you for all the money and time you have wasted on a defective product. Hopefully they will.
    I've cooled off since last Friday. I'm not going to say how pissed I was. I do have to fix a few holes both inside and outside the house.
    When I here about all the workforce happiness, ya just know "make america great again" just aint going to happen. really really sad. I worked in a sheet metal shop back in the 70's when I saw some asians taking a tour of the place, I knew it wasn't good. It took this long to make it messed up, I don't see it coming back. My roommate at the time worked at Mack truck, he said everyone got high at lunch. the production went to H@!!. They closed the doors a few months later.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast