Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

Boolit Master

It should be being returned on THEIR dime.

If not box it up and take it to the Post Office. You are allowed to ship long guns through USPS in this situation.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Remington is a terrible company and why people keep buying there products I don't understand. I wish you luck in getting this resolved. But before it cost me hundreds of dollars to get a refund I think I might get an airline ticket to there front door. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Well, this is discouraging. I just bought a new Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. Haven't shot it yet, went from the box to the safe. Better get the bore light out.....

Boolit Man
    rondog, I'm sure your bore is fine, it's a different caliber. The tooling was just bad when they made this batch of 45 cal. barrels. I've never been to New York. That might be a fun. Brings back memories of the time I drove to Montana in January to pick up a Shiloh Sharps rifle. I slept in the car. Ice on the inside of the windows, probably better I didn't have a thermometer.

Had no idea that the name of Marlin now means so very little. I have a "JM" stamped 1895 that i have owned for a good many years and can no longer shoot because of recoil. Has aftermarket aperture sights (Ghost Ring) and It has a 22" Micro Groove barrel. i was very pleased with the gun, even wrote Marlin a letter in 1996 asking if they would consider necking down the 45/70 case to 35 cal, creating a cartridge very similar to the old 348 Winc. They never answered my letter so guess they were not interested.
    Last edited by HATCH; 06-21-2017 at 09:00 PM.

I might add here I was at my local gun shop today to pick up a new Henry all weather in 45-70 that Henry dropped shipped thru a distributor of theres so that I could purchase one. My gun shop had been looking for one for sometime and I email the president of Henry about my troubles locating one. They do this quite frequently. The president responed within 48 hours and told me he would get it handled and they did. While picking up my gun the owner of the shop and I got to talking about 2 Marlin 336's he had there. One of the guns was just ok and the other had issues which required a trip back to Remington. I told him about this situation here. He mentioned he was having trouble like you getting a hold of anyone to take care of his issues with this one gun. He also agreed Remington is not standing behind there products like they should and in no way he would even buy one. Al
    NRA Life Member

comprschrg, sorry to hear about your tails of woe from Remington/Marlin customer service. Obliviously your a patient man after three failed attempts in search for a proper rifled barrel. This post is crushing my hopes in getting a Marlin 1895CBA or 1895GBL 45-70 in the near future.

Funny thing, on a couple of different sites I read ReMarlin owners praising there recently acquired 1895 45-70's. Makes me wonder if they even inspected their barrels. What a d@mn shame.

Boolit Master

No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

That's really pathetic. With the quantity over quality approach companies have these days I understand there will be some stinkers, BUT come on Remington! You would think after a rifle has come back again and again they would have a competent smith once over your particular rifle before sending it out. Will they not refund your money?

I would keep sending it back until it came home with at least a half way decent barrel and then sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 06-12-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Man
    trapperp
    what would be a reasonable price to expect it to go for? That's a tuff call. Condition is everything they say. Some will give a minus for microgrove, others know you can work around them.(with lead) On the pluss side it's a jm barrel. That alone will help, if it's pre saftey that's another pluss. The big auction houses on the internet are all over priced. The asking price looks good to sellers, but do they sell? I'd look at the auction sites for a close example and go from there. That's all I can say, I'd have to research to too.

Get a refund and buy a Henry.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Man
    Thanks everyone for your pat on the back. My failed attempts at reaching any hierarchy at remington/marlin, which included the internet and multiple affiliated business partners only turned up two different phone numbers. They obviously got me nowhere. This only proves they hide their ahh, umm, busy schedules with cowardice embarrassment! When a dealer can't get their attention, they just don't care. I know this is when I should be growing some big ones, but, yea,,,, man or mouse, keep it to yourself. The gun is going back to see what they will do.
    Then,,,,,,,,,,the rant, one thinks about "make this country great", made in USA. What is going on? I wonder if it would happen if it were made in china? Do Americans own the company now? Or do foreigners? Are they rotting us from the inside? See what happens, Now I have to go get my aluminum foil hat.

Boolit Master

Watching this thread in horror
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    Well, comprschrg, I guess maybe now you can see why the smart money always buys a JM marked Marlin. These new "Remlins" , for the most part, aren't worth the metal they are made of. You'd be a whole lot happier buying a JM marked 1895. I've got one you'd drool over that shoots like a champ. This target is 10 shots. Click on the picture to bigamate it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p368231354-5.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	197421
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p289161358-4.jpg  
    Chris

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0362.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	197451

Henry 45-70 with iron sights no scope 50 yards
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by comprschrg View Post
    rondog, I'm sure your bore is fine, it's a different caliber. The tooling was just bad when they made this batch of 45 cal. barrels. I've never been to New York. That might be a fun. Brings back memories of the time I drove to Montana in January to pick up a Shiloh Sharps rifle. I slept in the car. Ice on the inside of the windows, probably better I didn't have a thermometer.
    Mmmm, I don't know.....looking in the tube with a bore light, ain't real confidence-inspiring. I'll have to run a couple dozen rounds through it to see how it does.

Boolit Master

Print and send a copy of this thread to the Corporation board. That may get Remingtons attention but I doubt it.

Full refund is do including any ammo costs shipping and such. ANY less is a statement by the company that we do not care and are incompetent.

I for one will never buy one made by the new company even if an older one becomes double the cost.

Boolit Master
    I was temped to buy a 45-70 26". After reading this post i changed my mind.

I love a bargin but a bad barrel ain't no bargin!

For the price that Remlin is now commanding for their rifles, only a few dollars more will get a Henry. Quality and customer service is stellar. If you can get past not having a loading gate, it is a real gem. Rossi is another option. I have the feeling that Remington won't be around as a company much longer. Sad thought. It left a bad taste in my mouth just saying it. And they will take the Marlin name down with them.

Question..... how many of you who wouldn't consider a Henry (because of tube loading) would buy one if they produced rifles with a loading gate?
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 06-21-2017 at 08:05 AM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Print and send a copy of this thread to the Corporation board. That may get Remingtons attention but I doubt it.

Full refund is do including any ammo costs shipping and such. ANY less is a statement by the company that we do not care and are incompetent.

I for one will never buy one made by the new company even if an older one becomes double the cost.
    For what it's worth a Remington ad came up on a social feed so I hit them on the chat thingy with a link to this thread . Donno if it had any effect or not but with 35,000 potential readers that's a shot taken at getting a better response .

I mentioned here that with full house Marlin loads my 2011 doesn't shoot the little bitty groups . At a recent shoot however I was pleased with it's short range showing with light paper patched loads . I have a bore scope on the way so maybe I will find the same in mine . My buddy has SS JM . Our rifles shoot about the same with factory ammo . I'm not happy with it's over all performance , and I don't like the finish fit either .

I think you should request that it be fitted with an upgrade bbl in the custom shop . After this much humping around with it I don't think that is the least bit unreasonable at this point .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Have any idea what it takes to overcome one vocal disgruntled customer? Twelve paid ads, that statistic comes from the ad industry. This thread is really expensive, but well deserved. These companies have become assembly plants, buying components from jobbers and not bothering to do any QC because it saves money. One of the big companies told me flat out that their "acceptable accuracy" was 4 inches at 100 on their current rifles in production, including their single shots. Now please tell me what is more useless than a inaccurate rifle, to start with.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast