WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Best new lever action for the money and factory support nowadays: Henry all the way.

Best older lever actions if price and factory support is no object: older Brownings.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I prefer the tube to the loading gate. I have big fat fingers. The henry is a no-brainer in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Maybe the blank was bored out of round to begin with?
    I'd guess that the person running the gundrill had to stop-maybe the drill went bad and had to remove the barrel blank, change the drill and continue drilling. If they didn't line the blank up perfectly the 2nd. time around then the drill will leave an egg shaped hole for the first couple inches.

I see this happen where I work. Don't make guns but we use gundrills on the transmission shafts we make.

Boolit Master
    The Freedom Group keeps surprising us. These corporate raiders buy Marlin, which adds a layer of debt (and greed), so they rush the assembly to make up money spent. When Marlins first showed up with NY factory addresses, gun department managers of a local big sporting goods chain were returning entire shipments. They didn't ask a premium price for North Haven, CT built rifles, but they could have.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    In spite of this thread . I did some digging around .
    It seems Remington was in charge for 5 yr before the move . It's been over 6 since the move to Illion NY . Any SN on the side of the reciever rather than the tang and/or beginning with MR XXXXX is going to have a Ford oval like REM proof mark on the bbl .
    I bought 1 of those last weekend in 45-70 . It still says New Haven on the bbl marks it is low numbered , I guess . It is a Rem proofed bbl and if anything is done with any predictability it should be a 2013 production gun , but I have no way at this point to validate that . Frankly the wood to metal fit sux it is better on my Rossi 92 circa 3/15 NIB . I'd be ashamed to have sent a bbl crown out that thin with that many radial lines on it . The hammer is heavy on the bolt during cycles . The Rossi 92 is smoother as is my buddies JM 1895G in SS .
    Tonight I learned they were rifled with 8 and 12 groove Microgroove and with 6 groove Ballard . What happens when you try to broach a Ballard like groove in a bbl bored for 12 land Microgroove ..... I'll bet a slightly dulled or less sharp cutter rides while the sharp 1 cuts and it would push off center because the broach arbor is ,while correct normally, grossly undersized . Viola' imbalanced rifling . If QC does a 25% inspection and really it's probably closer to 10 % 3 of 4 can get by an 1 of those could be a Monday morning hang over pretty easy .
    The aesthetic class on mine are trumped by the glassy shine down the bore and the demonstration of possible accuracy , once I got up to the 7th step on the rear sight I found the Privi Partizan 405s to be delivering the goods .

In today's terms with a Rossi bringing $500 retail in a Cowboy carbine 92' $600 for a 45-70 lever gun ,with a 2012 MSRP of $680 is about as inexpensive as it gets .

I don't know how many 94s and 86s sold in Reno last weekend but at $1800 for a new product and 21-2700 for an original in 38-55 or 375 , sending back a $600 lemon looks pretty good.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I wish Savage would start making 99's again!

Boolit Man
    Well my saga continues. I got the rifle back yesterday. I opened the front door, the guy in brown has a goofy look on his face. He knows me and I call him my favorite buddy that brings me cool stuff. The box was as floppy as a rag doll, and he says "Do you want me to wait till you open, and inspect it. Luckly the worst was showers of styrofoam to clean up, and maybe the almost non existent checkering was lessened. They did put another butt stock on it. I wish they wouldn't have. it's a better wood to frame fit, but the rubber pad has a oops from the sander, and the checkering would be better off not being there.
    Oh yea. The reason I sent it back. With fingers crossed I started to clean the proof load copper out. That's when I started wondering if they really changed the barrel. Yup. A second conformation, It's a different barrel, but it looks the same!!!! must be it's twin brother.!!!!
    I called Marlin this morning and this time it's going to Marlin instead of some place that now has a buisness of fixing them. I know they tried, because they replaced a buggerd up screw (I didn't do it) and they found me a part that goes on the hammer, It is shown on the original packing slip, But wasn't in the box. a call to marlin got me a lady that said they don't include hammer extensions any more.
    The rifle is the SBL Stainless big loop, List price $1145.89 I got a good price for my area. Just under a grand. Not 600 bucks anymore.
    I just tried to post some pictures, didn't work. I'll keep trying.

Boolit Man
    I've been trying for over an hour to post a pic. I got it to work before, not now though.

Boolit Master
    Those guns were a limited edition made for Lee to match their molds.

Boolit Man
    you mean I shuda kep utt?

Boolit Man
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9425.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	194155

Boolit Man
    ok that worked I'll try anotherClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9418.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	194156
    This shows good rifling and bad.

Boolit Man

Name:	DSCF9419.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	194157
    One more pic.

Boolit Master
    Shame you have to go thru all this bother to get something brand new and unused fixed.

Boolit Man

Name:	DSCF9433.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	194158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9434.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	194159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9439.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	194160

I'm starting to figure out how to post pictures. here are the bad pad. and missmatched wood. I don't think anyone would like to see this on a new thousand dollar gun.

Boolit Master
    I've been watching the new Marlins at the gun shows for the last couple of years. I don't even pick them up I just stand there and look them over. The last two shows January and March I eyeballed two different 1895 CB's. The workmanship on the first one was horrible, wouldn't have given 10 dollars for it. Last show another 95 CB. The workmanship was a little better but I wouldn't have given 50 bucks for it. I'm just glad I've got the older Marlins I have. Remington has a long way to go to get the quality where it should be on these Lever guns, the best way to help them get there is to stop buying their junk.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm sure glad I got a 1 in a million .
    Attachment 194176
    A 40 shot with 3 bullets , 8 loads and sight adjustments at 75 yd .
    Attachment 194177
    Next to a Rossi 92'
    Attachment 194178
    The wood is a little proud.
    Attachment 194179

My buddy Jorge got a Rocky mountain mule deer limited edition engraved JM 1895GG nonported stainless at the Big Reno Show in October for $900 .
    That glorified blob of kindling and scrap metal with the 4# trigger is 2011 Remlin . Sure it's just a blued 1895G , I only gave $600 for it . Attachment 194180
    5 at 100 typical of the 350 paper patched and 457-340F , 458193 and the little bitty 456-228 1R for the ROA .
    I'm sorry your luck with the 1895 sucks . Maybe you should shop where you can fondle the gun before you take possession ......

Ignore me I've had a bad day .....
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Man
    Iowa Fox; the best way to help them get there is to stop buying their junk.[/QUOTE]
    I wish I knew then what I know now. I have a few friends telling me "I told you so". Even one local gun dealer told me to get an old one. But no I had to have a stainless one I could abuse. I watched utube videos about the ****. ahh that won't happen to me. I just can't believe the repair shop put one of the bad barrels on it, and a worse stock. The gun keeps getting worse. That's kind of why I'm writing this. Be ware!!!!!

Boolit Man
    Harter66 I had to order it. If I didn't want to keep it when it got here. I would have to pay over one hundred bucks to send it back. I looked it over. I couldn't see the rifleing was bad. all the copper wash from the proof loads covered it up.

Boolit Man
    Harter66
    You'll have to say a lot worse that that if you want to piss me off. I'm married, ugly, and can't dance. short, bald, I forgot the rest. I just know when I get it back those loads I have made up will shoot good. I hope.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast