MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

Boolit Master

I have one,and all the above is spot on.Had to sand ,file and stone to get it to work
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    No rifling I can understand, but I'm puzzled as to how you only get rifling on half a barrel. Maybe they were trying to make it shoot around corners?
    Maybe the blank was bored out of round to begin with?

Boolit Master
    Funny I read an article not long ago extolling how great Remington was and how all the problems were made up by liberals.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I once bought a Ruger MKI pistol that didn't have any rifling at all, total smoothbore. Returned it to the store, should have kept it. Was wondering why I couldn't hit anything with it.
    You shuda kept it. great snake gun spare bbls are easy to buy.

Boolit Man
    The problems are not made up. I've been looking at getting one of these for years. every time I look one over at the gun store I leave in disbelief, and wait for another year. I knew going into it I'd be working on it. It kinda makes it your own. When I first looked at the bore without my specks, all I saw was the copper wash from the proof rounds. It didn't look that out of place. I have the action working better than I though possible, in comparison to what it started. Working the action was like you sharpened a pair of sheers with the burr facing in and then over tightening them. To some it would be like fingernails on a chalk board. It really wasn't that much work to do, plus you get to know how everything works. I'm sure everything will be fine, just have to wait a few more weeks. It's melted over six inches of snow in the last week so it's too muddy to go shooting anyway.

Boolit Master

No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

I myself have wanted one of the blued guide guns with the laminated stock. Everyone I have come across had a rough action, and very poorly fitted wood.

I ended up paying more for a Browning 1886 but got way more gun. Even a properly fitted and functioning Marlin has a hard time competing with an 86 IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 03-11-2017 at 06:43 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Grand Master

Buy a Henry
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Buy a Henry
    What? But it doesn't have a loading gate!

Ok. I was poking fun. But I DO agree with you. After owning my Henry for some time now, I couldn't see myself having anything else. At least not as of yet. It is the gun of the many in the safe you get out just to fondle it. Admire it. Tell it how much you love it. Uh oh. Did I just reveal to much info? If I didn't, I was about to!
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 03-12-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    Henry just a great company and great guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Buy a Henry
    I like their rim fire guns, but I just can't warm up to the center fire ones. They feel really heavy and don't have a loading gate.

"I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    I like their rim fire guns, but I just can't warm up to the center fire ones. They feel really heavy and don't have a loading gate.

With the advent of King's patent, Winchester abandoned the unsatisfactory loading method used on the Henry rifle in 1866. No reason to go back to it today.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I have run leverguns for 30+ years the loading gate is just not that big of an issue for me, in fact the loading tube works fantastic and is safer to unload rather than running it through the chamber. The accuracy and heft of the Henry lends itself to good offhand hold steady and the extra pound or two is insignificant. If you have an issue with a Henry they are THE BEST and MOST RESPONSIVE company to deal with and you will be satisfied in the end. I might add they rifle thier barrels ........... ��

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    I have run leverguns for 30+ years the loading gate is just not that big of an issue for me, in fact the loading tube works fantastic and is safer to unload rather than running it through the chamber. The accuracy and heft of the Henry lends itself to good offhand hold steady and the extra pound or two is insignificant. If you have an issue with a Henry they are THE BEST and MOST RESPONSIVE company to deal with and you will be satisfied in the end. I might add they rifle thier barrels ........... ��
    Loading gates and silencers don't play nice.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to hear about your Remlin. I picked up a fairly new 45-70 Remlin rifle off the used gun rack and it is actually quite good. All I did was remove the cheap (short eye relief) scope and see-thru mounts and install a new Leopold scope in low rings and mounts. After I took off the old scope I developed a pretty good theory about why it was on the "used" rack, hope the poor guy didn't need stitches. I saw a Remlin 94 in 45 Colt today, sitting next to a 95 in 45-70. Both looked pretty good but I didn't much care for the green stock on the 95. The 94 was a Cowboy, nice gun.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post

Henry steel is 7.1#
    The marlin website says approx 7#.
    Odd it doesn't list an exact weight.

Boolit Master
    I bought a new S&W 29 5" back in the 80's. It shot very well first trip to the range. But, when I got home to clean it I hung a patch in the barrel. About halfway up that 5" barrel was a crater that was about 0.050" deep and maybe 0.250" across. Sent it back to S&W and it came back about a month later with a new barrel. That had to be something in the steel.

No rifling in the barrel is sloppy work and inexcusable.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I bought a new Ruger BKH .41 mag. Before shooting it tried running a patch through the barrel. The barrel was so rough that the patch would not pass through. Of course Ruger replaced it.

Boolit Bub
    It's unfortunate to see what Remington has done to Marlin. They have been around d a very long time. You would think it wouldn't be a huge undertaking to just keep building them to the standard they were built to for many years.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmanz View Post
    It's unfortunate to see what Remington has done to Marlin. They have been around d a very long time. You would think it wouldn't be a huge undertaking to just keep building them to the standard they were built to for many years.
    Bean counters took over the production line.

Boolit Man
    2ndAmendmentNut
    Your right about the 86 the design is stronger. That sure is purdy. Those are hard to find. Once people get them they don't let them go. You can single shot longer rounds in it also. I found that out the hard way. I had to remove the bolt from the 1895 to get the same length round out that fit in the 86. But I also learned how easy it is to remove the lever, and bolt so you can clean from the breach end. My 95 is still in transit. The delivery date to repair shop is three more days. Then 4 to 5 weeks, then???

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast