Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    comprscrg; To add to the worries here, there have been reports of the receivers cracking on the front-bottom where the barrels thread in on Remlin 45-70s. As many times as barrels have been screwed in and out plus the over clocking issue it may be time to start with a whole new rifle. Gp
    Wholly Molly, I'd like you to send me more information on that! or where you saw that! Now I want to cut into the box that ups hasn't picked up yet, and remove the note saying IF you have a good barrel, you can put it on and not refund my money. (I've sent them a photo of my receipt, and all is in motion) I know they don't have a good barrel though. So it doesn't matter.
    I keep thinking of keeping it, but then I remember it's not clocked right. Then I get mad all over. I think I slept about an hour last night.

dikman; Just when I thought no body was paying attention you chime in. That really bugged me too.

the person I talked to said they were in spec. He is in a different state. He also said Dakota arms, remingtons "custom shop" uses the same barrels. If they would use any of the barrels that were on my guns and not get one complaint, I'd pay for all re-barreling they've done. I have to call BULL on that! Every time I talk to him I start out thinking they will take care of me. By the time I hang up, I realize I'm just another problem they need to get rid of. With minimal expense and I feel like I got raped. But, they want to give me my money back. Wow. Why can't they just give me what I paid for?

Now I'm going to have a beer so I can cry into it.
    Last edited by comprschrg; 09-26-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Don't cry into your beer, you'll ruin a perfectly good beer! You're probably right, they just want to get rid of you and offering a refund is probably their best option. I'd take it, because it's likely that deep down you will never be happy with the rifle after all this. Time to start looking for something else.

For Marlin/Remington it's too late, the damage has been done and this thread is now out there for anyone searching for problems with this model. In fact, if you do a google search on "Marlin 1895 problems" an awful lot of posts come up, some go back a few years. Seems they haven't learned anything in the intervening years.

Boolit Master
    I totally get every bodies frustration but I would be simple enough to shoot some cast thru it just to see what happens. What if it would be your best shooting cast gun?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Don't cry into your beer, you'll ruin a perfectly good beer! You're probably right, they just want to get rid of you and offering a refund is probably their best option. I'd take it, because it's likely that deep down you will never be happy with the rifle after all this. Time to start looking for something else.

For Marlin/Remington it's too late, the damage has been done and this thread is now out there for anyone searching for problems with this model. In fact, if you do a google search on "Marlin 1895 problems" an awful lot of posts come up, some go back a few years. Seems they haven't learned anything in the intervening years.
    Yesterday after talking with the Marlin rep. I did a search on this problem because of what he said. He said, if they were all bad he'd see this problem all day long. insinuating this is all new to him. Your right. I'm not the only one. It's been going on for years!

nekshot; "I totally get every bodies frustration but I would be simple enough to shoot some cast thru it just to see what happens. What if it would be your best shooting cast gun?"

I wish is was that easy. Even the marlin rep. said "the canted barrel concerns me more than the bad rifling" Why did they have to adjust the rear site all the way to the right? And why is the cap so crooked? Is it just not clocked enough?, or are the dove tails machined wrong? all of the above?

Then there is the rifling. He said they have a two thousandths tolerance. if the land is three thousandth tall, take away two and you have what is in mine. I took a picture of the only good land in the barrel so you would have something to judge the others by. you have to look close because the pictures are getting degraded somehow. I think it's because they get sent to a folder inside a folder, in program in a folder inside another folder. they look good on my computer, but they are grainy and don't show up very well.

The worst land is almost non existent with one third of it having a grove as deep as the land is tall. It doesn't show up very well because there is only about one thousandth to start with. every other land has something wrong with it also. I've had 4 other ones before! I kind of know what they look like!

I also know the marlin rep is reading this. He said things only if he had.

It's defective! Plain and simple!

It's kind of like buying a car with a v-8 engine and only 7 cylinders work.

I have wanted to shoot it. But then again Why waist my ammo. See above.

Now I can go back to bed because I had another sleepless night consumed with festering haunted memories of my one sided conversation with marlin. I feel a little better now.
    Last edited by comprschrg; 09-27-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spell check

Remlin sent me a return no. I haven't shot it yet so I will wait till tomorrow. It would be going to N.Y. for repair. If one could only trust them to fix it right. ��
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70marlin View Post
    Remlin sent me a return no. I haven't shot it yet so I will wait till tomorrow. It would be going to N.Y. for repair. If one could only trust them to fix it right. ��
    You might ask them to de horn the lever while there at it? Mine was so sharp I could trim my fingernails. Best of luck.

Oh yea, Let us know how she works! Dose your camera work any better than mine?
    Last edited by comprschrg; 09-27-2017 at 12:57 PM.

I already fixed the leaver along with a lot of stoneing and such. Another reason i dont want to send it back. I will post here how it shoots. The only other worry would be lead or jacket fouling in the bore.
    Endeavor to persevere

I'm sure that many would buy this rifle without being aware of things being wrong with it. If it shoots and they can hit something they're probably happy. So they will be a happy customer with no complaints. The number of complaints on the 'net, however, by people who do know something about rifles, is quite impressive - and concerning. I can assure you that when I buy something I research it on the 'net first, and pay attention to what people are saying. No way would I buy one of these, based on what people are saying. (That's why I'm buying an Uberti, not cheap but excellent quality).

dikman; Good idea, I think those Uberti rifles are very nice. Had the new Henry at the range today to get the Leupold 4X scope set. The rifle loves a 405gr. hollow base, a 315gr. not so much so far. After getting the scope somewhere near the bullseye five of the 405s went into 1 3/4" at 50yrds. I'm happy with that for a first try with that big thumper. Also, you're right most folks buy a new rifle and blame the poor performance on themselves and just put the gun away without a whimper. Gun shops and manufactures count on this in my opinion. Gp

Boolit Master

Can you slug the barrel and send them the slug? That should show them the condition of the lands/grooves.

Success! I shot the guide gun today with the Hornady 300gr. hp. Using 55.0gr. of IMR-4895. I got 2 shots about a 1/2" apart and one about a 11/4" from the other 2. Not bad! Will keep the rifle and not send it back. There was no fouling after 50 shots. Hit everything I shot at. I have a 3x7 Leupold vx1 on the rifle. Will cast up some boolits and see how they do. I tried to download a picture but can't do it. Will try later.
    Last edited by 45-70marlin; 09-28-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    Endeavor to persevere

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170928_204111.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	204830
    Endeavor to persevere

You must be feeling pretty pleased with that. Obviously some good ones occasionally slip past the lack-of-quality control.

I am sure the lapping of the barrel had a lot to do with it. You can still see the galling but is much smoother. I really didnt want to send it back. The 2 molds i will be useing are the 330gr. Gould boolit and the 45-300 RCBS.
    Endeavor to persevere

Comprschrg, I was just browsing through youtube, looking for stuff on the1873, when I came across this little gem (I can't post the link but look up Death of the Marlin Levergun). Runs for 18 minutes but it sounded awfully familiar , even though it was made in 2012. In a nutshell the guy bought a Marlin 1895SBL, lots of problems leading to a refund eventually. In the meantime he bought an 1895ABL. He stripped it down to clean it up, but when he put it back together he couldn't even cycle the action! He eventually realised why the screws weren't tight when he stripped it - once tightened it wouldn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70marlin View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170928_204111.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	204830
    I think it will just get better from here.
    Good shooting!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quite a thread. Jeez !!!!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    After looking at your shallow rifling it reminded me of a brushed chrome mark 19 desert eagle With both 50ae and 44 mag barrels. The 50ea's grooves were shallower than yours. It was a joke. I traded it for a 4wheeler 15 years ago and never looked back. That pistol was and is a heavy piece of junk that belongs as a movie prop only.

First casts today with a new NOE 460-405-RF RG2. Hope they shoot as good as they look. Gp

Boolit Man
    My internet hasn't been working for a week. I herd most of Oregon was out for only three days. Just one of the many benefits of living out in the boonies. At least the power shorts don't reset all the electronics a few times a day like they did ten years ago. Only a few times a week now. Surge protectors are a must. The last good power surge blew out my battery backup surge protector.

dikman; I just watched the youtube video you talked about. Don't tell anyone, but I watched that video before I bought mine. I figured it's been a few more years, They've got to have all the issues fixed by now, So I ordered one.

The problems are all the same! Even the loose screws!

Those Uberti's are nice. Cowboy action shooters wouldn't use them if they weren't. You got that right back on post #208

Ulav8r; I thought about that too. I doubt they would know what they were looking at. Seriously! To make it even worse, The last ones I made, I used a pure lead 457124 slug, hit it with hammer till it was large enough, then sent it down the bore. It kind of resembles a turd. It did work though.

45-70marlin; Doesn't it make you feel good to fix something that was supposed to be right, and make it better. I'm glad you didn't send it back now. Good going!

gp; Very nice! I only have one RG mold. The hollow point is kinda sticky on mine. Next time I use it I want to try the flat point pin.

Tripplebeards; Smart, very smart.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast