StainLess Steel MediaRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Graf & SonsLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWisconsin Trigger

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 5345 USD (89%)
WE HAVE REACHED OUR GOAL! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED CONTRIBUTE AND KEEP US GOING!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****


Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 143

Thread: No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

  1. #1
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    41

    No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

    I’m writing this in hopes the big chief, boss man might see it. And a warning to any hard working person wanting a lever action rifle with a history to it. Exept this is a modern stainless man made wood version.
    I put off purchasing a Marlin 1895 SBL because of all the bad publicity, “Remington takeover” Well; I just couldn’t wait any longer. It’s now 2017. Hoping the news of remlins quality was really getting better, I ordered one. My first mistake was to stop by the gun store without my close up cheaters. It probably wouldn’t have made much difference because I wanted to so bad. I took it home. The first thing I did was get my finger suck in the loading gate opening. It was like a bear trap. With the inside of the frame like a ginsu knife and gate spring I could have used for an over load spring, my finger was bleeding before I could reach for a screw driver and compress the gate. Now I needed to clean all the blood from inside the gun. I’d already read and watched all the “how too” stuff. About three days later I’d sanded, filed, stoned, filed, sanded, filed, sanded, stoned the inside of the action.

    The wood to metal gaps, untrained metal graining (sanded finish), horrid attempt to call checkering, will wait till later. I wanted to fire this thing. I want to shoot some lead! First thing I do is knock some pure lead slugs down the bore to get a good measurement. After three, I’m confused there doesn’t seem to be much rifleing on one side. I make a chamber cast. None there either. I kinda noticed the rifling was skimpy on one side, but just didn’t look close enough with optical cheaters. Sucks to get old. Well the guy that drives a brown truck is picking the rifle up today. I hope they put a good barrel on it this time. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

  2. #2
    Perma-Banned



    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by comprschrg View Post
    I’m writing this in hopes the big chief, boss man might see it. And a warning to any hard working person wanting a lever action rifle with a history to it. Exept this is a modern stainless man made wood version.
    I put off purchasing a Marlin 1895 SBL because of all the bad publicity, “Remington takeover” Well; I just couldn’t wait any longer. It’s now 2017. Hoping the news of remlins quality was really getting better, I ordered one. My first mistake was to stop by the gun store without my close up cheaters. It probably wouldn’t have made much difference because I wanted to so bad. I took it home. The first thing I did was get my finger suck in the loading gate opening. It was like a bear trap. With the inside of the frame like a ginsu knife and gate spring I could have used for an over load spring, my finger was bleeding before I could reach for a screw driver and compress the gate. Now I needed to clean all the blood from inside the gun. I’d already read and watched all the “how too” stuff. About three days later I’d sanded, filed, stoned, filed, sanded, filed, sanded, stoned the inside of the action.

    The wood to metal gaps, untrained metal graining (sanded finish), horrid attempt to call checkering, will wait till later. I wanted to fire this thing. I want to shoot some lead! First thing I do is knock some pure lead slugs down the bore to get a good measurement. After three, I’m confused there doesn’t seem to be much rifleing on one side. I make a chamber cast. None there either. I kinda noticed the rifling was skimpy on one side, but just didn’t look close enough with optical cheaters. Sucks to get old. Well the guy that drives a brown truck is picking the rifle up today. I hope they put a good barrel on it this time. I’ll let you know how it turns out.
    Sounds like you would have been much better off to just buy a good used one.

  3. #3
    Perma-Banned



    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by comprschrg View Post
    I’m writing this in hopes the big chief, boss man might see it. And a warning to any hard working person wanting a lever action rifle with a history to it. Exept this is a modern stainless man made wood version.
    I put off purchasing a Marlin 1895 SBL because of all the bad publicity, “Remington takeover” Well; I just couldn’t wait any longer. It’s now 2017. Hoping the news of remlins quality was really getting better, I ordered one. My first mistake was to stop by the gun store without my close up cheaters. It probably wouldn’t have made much difference because I wanted to so bad. I took it home. The first thing I did was get my finger suck in the loading gate opening. It was like a bear trap. With the inside of the frame like a ginsu knife and gate spring I could have used for an over load spring, my finger was bleeding before I could reach for a screw driver and compress the gate. Now I needed to clean all the blood from inside the gun. I’d already read and watched all the “how too” stuff. About three days later I’d sanded, filed, stoned, filed, sanded, filed, sanded, stoned the inside of the action.

    The wood to metal gaps, untrained metal graining (sanded finish), horrid attempt to call checkering, will wait till later. I wanted to fire this thing. I want to shoot some lead! First thing I do is knock some pure lead slugs down the bore to get a good measurement. After three, I’m confused there doesn’t seem to be much rifleing on one side. I make a chamber cast. None there either. I kinda noticed the rifling was skimpy on one side, but just didn’t look close enough with optical cheaters. Sucks to get old. Well the guy that drives a brown truck is picking the rifle up today. I hope they put a good barrel on it this time. I’ll let you know how it turns out.
    Sounds like you would have been much better off to just buy a good used one.

    I wonder how they rifle a barrel and have less rifling on one side than the other. You would think, if it were a tooling problem that rifling would be bad around the barrel and throughout it's length. IDK

  4. #4
    Boolit Master Harter66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walker Lake Nv. or just about 5 miles west of the exact middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    3,997
    I read about a 1 land rifle once .... I wonder if this was a similar attempt

    When I read about this sort of thing I have to wonder where QC was that nobody through at least 4 assembly stops didn't notice something as important as rifling . Is the rifling ,turning , threading ,dovetailing ,sight installation and bbl installation all done by machine now ?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

    I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992

    About that rally point, the soap and mail boxes fall on blind eyes and deaf ears,the ballot box is manipulated,it would seem we are fast running out options....

  5. #5
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    41
    I thought about buying a used one, I looked for months. I've got blued levers, but wanted a stainless so I wouldn't have to worry about rust. It might have shot good? the groves on the deep side are about .002 deep and the other side looks like the scratches that are in the groves on the good side. I read somewhere micro grove are .003 deep. The slugs I pounded down the bore had what looked like normal lands and groves on one side, One good deep, and shallow on each side, the other looked like a bunch of super shallow microgroves and one on each side of it getting deeper. It measured .4537 and .4568

  6. #6
    Boolit Master

    ghh3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    1,802
    I'm so glad that I got one of the last Marlins (45-70 Guide Gun) before Remington. It looks and shoots great, and I am never getting rid of it! I'm sure you'll get yours to where you want it, but it's a shame that they've turned them into DIY kits!
    Five out of six doctors agree that Russian Roulette is completely safe.

  7. #7
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    I'm so glad that I got one of the last Marlins (45-70 Guide Gun) before Remington. It looks and shoots great, and I am never getting rid of it! I'm sure you'll get yours to where you want it, but it's a shame that they've turned them into DIY kits!
    That's funny diy. That's part of the reason I got a stainless. I knew I'd be stoning on it. Little did I know I started stoning, went to sanding, then got out the file. I went to town with a file.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    2ndAmendmentNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,668

    No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

    Really sad to hear how Marlin has been run into the ground. Please keep us updated.

    I used to have 3 Marlins. A pre safety 336 in 30-30, a JM stamped XLR in 35 Remington, and a JM stamped 1895 Cowboy in 45-70. They were all good guns, but I ended up selling/trading all of them off in favor of Winchesters or Brownings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

  9. #9
    Boolit Man
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Derby, UK.
    Posts
    118
    I can verify this sort of problem on at least one Remlin .44. I work part time on a gunshop in the UK. A bloke purchased a brand new, blued, Remlin 1894 .44 a year or two ago. First time at the range, he later said, the first three rounds cloverleafed but the rest went wild. He brought it back to the shop and we started having a look at it. The bolt was removed and the staff had a look down the barrel. We all agreed that there was something wrong but we couldn't quite make up our minds what it was. Then one of us twigged it, the first two thirds of the right hand side of the barrel's bore was completely devoid of rifling, as smooth as a baby's bum! Hard to believe but I saw it with my own eyes.
    The lion shall lie down with the lamb, but the lamb won't get much sleep.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    southern Illinois
    Posts
    1,778
    I have seen a Marlin 45-70 with no rifling on one side of the barrel. It was a new stainless. The rifling was shallow on one side and nonexistent on the other. Someone goofed up big time to do this....

  11. #11
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    41
    Took me a few hours to figure out how to post thisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9264.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	190038I'll see if my luck holds out and get the other side.

  12. #12
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    41
    teClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9267.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	190039
    This is the other side.

  13. #13
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, NY 14808
    Posts
    1,045
    "When I read about this sort of thing I have to wonder where QC was that nobody through at least 4 assembly stops didn't notice something as important as rifling ." Harter

    Late for coffee break!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

    "I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

  14. #14
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by castalott View Post
    I have seen a Marlin 45-70 with no rifling on one side of the barrel. It was a new stainless. The rifling was shallow on one side and nonexistent on the other. Someone goofed up big time to do this....
    That's exactly what this one has. Couldn't be the same one you saw though, because I was in front of the salesman at the gun store when he opened the box. When I called remington about it they said it was made november of 2016. I thought the bad rifles were made between 2008-2011 Very sad. The fit and finish is terrible, but I wanted a 45-70 I could put a scope on and just have fun with it.

  15. #15
    Boolit Man Randy Bohannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Buffalo WY
    Posts
    109
    Local LGS won't sell Marlins, just Brownings,Winchester,Henry and Uberti. Winchester/Browning's go fast Henry's Uberti sit a lot longer.

  16. #16
    Boolit Master



    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    2,096
    For what it's worth my brand new 1970 era in the 70's also cut my finger with the loading gate. I took a dremell to it rounding it out so it would not cut.

    The barrel sounds like trash.

  17. #17
    Boolit Man Wild Bill 7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    S.W. Florida
    Posts
    86
    Comprschrg, thanks for the laugh. Sorry about your problem but it took me a while to finish reading your post after the Ginsu comment. Hope your finger heals soon.
    Wild Bill 7

  18. #18
    Boolit Master
    rockrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,382
    I once bought a Ruger MKI pistol that didn't have any rifling at all, total smoothbore. Returned it to the store, should have kept it. Was wondering why I couldn't hit anything with it.

  19. #19
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    541
    No rifling I can understand, but I'm puzzled as to how you only get rifling on half a barrel. Maybe they were trying to make it shoot around corners?

  20. #20
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    southern Illinois
    Posts
    1,778
    It must be a special process. How could you rifle a barrel with a pull thru slug and not touch 1/2 of it? Maybe hammer forged? I dunno...

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check