Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

Boolit Master

No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

That is just crazy! If you managed to get four bad barrels back to back it makes me wonder how many Marlins are out there with half rifled barrels? Is it possible that Marlin/Remington has simply been sending back the same barrel time after time?
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 08-08-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    That is just crazy! If you managed to get four bad barrels back to back it makes me wonder how many Marlins are out there with half rifled barrels? Is it possible that Marlin/Remington has simply been sending back the same barrel time after time?
    No. They were all different barrels. The one I hated to send back was the one with no "Warning read the,,,,,,,," stamped on the side. I thought that was really cool. The picture of that is on page 4 of this thread.
    Two rifles came from the factory, and two re barrels came from the repair department. The first rifle was made November 18th of 2016 and the second rifle was made a few months later in 2017 I couldn't get them to give me an exact date of the second rifle, They just said a few month ago. That was the first part of June.
    Last edited by comprschrg; 08-08-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Once I read that temporary workers made up the Marlin crew. If it works there like it's done here, the temporary workers work for a company that contracts them to Remington. This may or may not be true.

I have read every post on this thread and for the life of me I can't find the one where you say you shot this gun. That does not excuse Remington's poor handling of the situation but I am curious why have you not fired it? And what the hell is a registration fee?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Well, after much ado, the 1895 cowboy is back to the point of sale and money refunded in full. It was like pulling teeth to get the money back even with their so called life time warranty Dollars to donuts that it's back on the shelf awaiting the next sucker to come along. Uncle Bud is sending us a new 45-70 Henry octagon, case hardened rifle. It should be in Monday. I've bought my last item from Remlin. Gp

Boolit Master
    Pitiful. That's all I can say about Remington Marlins. They will go out of business if they can't get their stuff together soon.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    Pitiful. That's all I can say about Remington Marlins. They will go out of business if they can't get their stuff together soon.
    If they do, all of you that have JM Marlins will see them double in price. A used JM Marlin right now is selling for more then a new Remington.

Banned
    Is it any surprise that Remington's sales are down, a lot?

http://www.guns.com/2017/08/19/remin...fell-24-in-q2/

Let's all do our part to drive a stake in the heart of Remington and the Freedom Group (owners) They've got away with selling their name on what in my opinion is just plain shoddy products. Gp

Gpidaho,

Give us a range report on your Henry 45-70 when you get a chance. This thread pretty much crushed my hopes for a new Remlin 45-70 CBA.

iMigraine: I'm looking forward to the new Henry and hoping problems are behind us. I'll be happy to share my thoughts with you when we have the chance to work with it a bit. I picked up a 45-70 Handi barrel here at Boolits S&S to do some load development. I had wanted a 1895 Marlin Cowboy for months(45-70) and it was a big disappointment that it turned out to be such a piece of ****. Hope I've saved you from the experience. Gp

Banned

I only buy JMs
    No Remlins
    Hard to find them cheap, but worth the extra time and $$$

^^^^^^^Good idea

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Let's all do our part to drive a stake in the heart of Remington and the Freedom Group (owners) They've got away with selling their name on what in my opinion is just plain shoddy products. Gp
    Maybe that was the plan to begin with.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I have read every post on this thread and for the life of me I can't find the one where you say you shot this gun. That does not excuse Remington's poor handling of the situation but I am curious why have you not fired it? And what the hell is a registration fee?
    Texas is one of the great last states if they don't have a registration/background check. Our wonderful liberal governor changed our laws a few years back. Now we have a $10.00 background/registration fee when you purchase a firearm. It's just another way for the state to make a buck and keep track of who is purchasing firearms. States can charge what they like. California has a $30.00 fee. and if it (the firearm) is used, comes from another state, the ffl dealer can charge as much as they like for the import fee. I've herd of as much as $250.00. on top of the 30.00 bucks. It never gets cheaper.

As far as shooting the 1895, yea I did shoot it one time, with a 405 grain jacketed flat nose. it shot a one hole group
    I thought about seeing how well I could make it shoot, but come on. really? what is the point. I purchased this to shoot lead. I'm sure I could get a combination to work, people that have the micro groves can get theirs to shoot.
    These barrels were missing 1/3 of the rifling and the other 2/3 were shallower than micro grove. This is copy and pasted from post number 5 of this thread.

It might have shot good? the groves on the deep side are about .002 deep and the other side is only scratches. I read somewhere micro grove are .003 deep. The slugs I pounded down the bore had what looked like normal lands and groves on one side, One good deep, and shallow on each side, the other looked like a bunch of super shallow microgroves and one on each side of it getting deeper. It measured .4537 and .4568

If I'm not mistaken Marlin advertises there's as (ballard type) a normal ballard type 45-70 should be .450 to .457/8 That is .0035 to .004 per side. not .002
    According to ups tracking Marlin received my rifle on the 16th, so I hope it won't be too long before I can post some pics of how it shoots.
    Gp Good to hear you got that straighten out. Those are purrrdy!

Thank you for that info. We have instant check but it's free. If you have a LTC the instant check is waived. I'm glad to live in a free for now state and I admire you for not quitting.
    Best,Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    After reading this thread decided to exam the GBL I bought new about 6 months ago. Compared to other rifles the lands sure are shallow. Stuck a dry toothpick into the muzzle and it would catch on each land but it still seems shallow. Crown looked very good.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Man
    Texas,
    That's funny I had to look up LTC. We call it "concealed carry permit" here. That's all it's good for in this state though.

snowwolfe,
    You got lucky! Believe me you'd be able to feel it if you had no lands using a tooth pick. mine would barley, barley stick on the missing lands.

Boolit Master

License to Carry = external or concealed
    So far all have acted appropriately.
    Good stuff
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Mate, full marks for your tenacity! I can understand where you're coming from as I've sometimes done similar things (as a matter of principle). You must really want this rifle, however, to put yourself through this. Me, I would have cut and run in this case because I would have been worried about the quality of the rest of the rifle.

Hope it works out for you.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast