Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

Boolit Man
    Well according to ups tracking My fifth 1895 was received back at the Marlin repair this morning.

Now that they have my sales receipt I can’t help but wonder if maybe they just might put a good barrel on it. My thinking is or should I say hoping that I showed them proof I bought the gun. (just under one thousand dollars) And now they might do the right thing. I wrote a note stating I’d still rather have a rifle with a good barrel, than My money back. "If" they can find a good barrel from there stock pile of defective barrels. I’ll let you know if they send me the rifle, or a check.

Since this last proof they don't know what they are doing, or just don't care. I've done a little searching for all the same problems.

The bad rifling problem Marlin has, has been going on for years. I don't know if they just put a good barrel on every now and then, But They have a BUNCH of bad barrels!

If you are in the mind set to want a lever action do yourself a favor. Look and listen. Marlin lever action rifle have issues. There is a history of barrels with no rifling, and barrels not clocked correct like mine. Loose screws. If properly tightened the gun doesn't work. Sharp edges. Oh yea, and also cracked receivers at the barrel thread! It is true! all you have to do is look it up!

If you have one of the newer marlins, Take it apart, or have a gun smith take it apart. look under the mag tube. Some of them are cracked, or machined so thin the barrel threads show through!
    Or better yet, lets just say there are other lever guns out there.

I just wish I'd listened to all the warnings!!!! I thought "this couldn't happen to me" "I know what to look for" But I ordered the thing, thinking I'll just send it back if it isn't right. That was January 23rd 2017 it's now october 9th 2017. Sending it back doesn't seem to work!!!

If it did I'd be the first to start a new thread of how good they are. (That was rhetorical)
    Last edited by comprschrg; 10-09-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Boolit Master

Will never part with my pre-safety .357 micro groove. It loves 180 grain lead!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Will never part with my pre-safety .357 micro groove. It loves 180 grain lead!
    Give it a dose of oil for me and whisper sweet nothings in the chamber.

When I get my money back, I'll be looking for an older one. That is for sure.

Boolit Master
    In other news, I received my shotgun back and Remington made it right. My 870 runs reliably now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    Off center rifling results when a barrel blank is reamed oversize.

Boolit Buddy
    I've followed this thread and feel for you for all the issues you've been having. I don't doubt what you've said one bit but my "Remlin" experience has been positive. I've bought 3 this summer, a 94, 45 colt, 95 CB and just picked up a 336 Texan 30-30 last Saturday. The 94 was fine and shoots great. The forearm on the 26" cowboy was too thick so I thinned it down and refinished it and the butt stock so they matched. The Texan has the nicest wood I've had or have seen on any Marlin, in person. The wood to metal fit on all 3 are as good or better than any of my JMs and the rifling is crisp, clean and smooth. I've not had a chance to work with the Texan yet but the other 2 shoot my cast very well. Good luck and I hope it finally works out for you.

Boolit Master

I've heard many horrid stories about the quality of arms produced after the transaction from JM to Remington, but if you follow along, it seems that Remington has made good on replacement.

I would like to hear of anyone who has not obtained satisfaction with Remington since interaction on quality of Marlin rifles since the transaction of manufacturers.

I still believe in American Made.

Boolit Man
    2ndamendmentnut; So about two months? Glad to hear it's good to go.

Brad; That's the kind of news I'd rather hear. As far as I know the 45-70 barrel tooling is the only one I've herd of being bad.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by comprschrg View Post
    2ndamendmentnut; So about two months? Glad to hear it's good to go.
    One month in limbo land. One month to repair and return. Two months total.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    One month in limbo land. One month to repair and return. Two months total.

I spent an afternoon in limbo back in the early 70's. I never did find out who sent me there.

Rattlesnake; I believe in American made also. I will NOT purchase something made over seas if I can find it "made in USA". I've gone without, because I couldn't afford made in USA. (made down under is usually VERY good, as is a few others)

I understand your passion for Marlin firearms. I have a few that make me feel warm and fuzzy when I look at them. I didn't start this thread to degrade Marlin, but to wake up the sleeping quality control people. I want Marlin to succeed.

If there was a way to magically notify every unsatisfied marlin customer that would be nice, but I really don't want to hear more complaints, I just want Marlin to step up to the plate and build the quality firearms they should be building.

Boolit Master

No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

Quote Originally Posted by comprschrg View Post
    I just want Marlin to step up to the plate and build the quality firearms they should be building.
    Totally agree with you. You would think after all this time they would have an actual smith rebarrel your rifle. At the very least they should have somebody that understands that a barrel should be rifled on all sides look at the gun before sending it back.

With my gun the fit and Finish on it are really good. I think they have come a long way. Now if they could get the barrels right it would be great. I haven't tried the lead boolits in it yet as I have been on vacation for a week and a half. Will report back when I do. I don't think there will be a problem. I am glad I was able to fix it.
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Grand Master
    man I must of got lucky my remlin shoots fantastic and I have never cut my finger on it
    mine shoots cast and jacketed real good
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

"made down under is usually VERY good,". Maybe. There's not much made here anymore, our manufacturing industries have been decimated by the incompetent policies of successive governments! I think there is still one company that makes a rifle, but I doubt if it's anything you would want. (Our final car-making plant is about to close, so now all vehicles will be imported, along with most other goods).

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    "made down under is usually VERY good,". Maybe. There's not much made here anymore, our manufacturing industries have been decimated by the incompetent policies of successive governments! I think there is still one company that makes a rifle, but I doubt if it's anything you would want. (Our final car-making plant is about to close, so now all vehicles will be imported, along with most other goods).
    That's sad to hear. Your right, I looked up rifles made in Australia, I'll pass on them. General motors took the rear end from one of your cars, and put it in the gto about 12 years back.(something like that, my brain doesn't remember like it used to.)

I was thinking of ARB and old man emu. If I'm not shooting I'm driving there. I've wanted to put an old man emu suspension on my jeep for a bunch of years. and arb lockers. But I have this sickness, It makes me stop by the local gun shop.

There's a new problem with the marlin, My wife asked me how much I paid for it. I only told her "too much" now I have get to the mail box before her just in case. I don't know if I'm getting a check, or a large box.

Oops! Sounds like someone's got their eyes on some new shoes/dresses?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Oops! Sounds like someone's got their eyes on some new shoes/dresses?
    Then they are all the same. She did mention something about a sale on shoes this weekend.

Boy was I wrong, The 2004-2006 pontiac GTO was merely a rebadged Holden Monaro. With a chevy corvette engine, tranny.

Boolit Man
    Well, I got the big check. Now what to do with it?

This thread can go by the way side.

comprschrg; Glad to hear. You know my vote. As a + you'll have money left over to buy some nice shoes for the lady. Gp

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    comprschrg; Glad to hear. You know my vote. As a + you'll have money left over to buy some nice shoes for the lady. Gp
    I sure do. I haven't looked at henry's other than the web site. I was turned off from them because they had optional plastic forend caps. That's how long it's been since I looked at them. I don't think they still are?

Now that I have something burning a hole in my pocket, I'll have to get into town!

The tube shouldn't bother me, because I have 22's with them. I love them for the capacity. Growing up, I disliked 22's with magazines. Now they have high cap. so it isn't a issue.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast