Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

Boolit Master
    Well it took them a month but Remington now claims to have found my shotgun and be "working" on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

This thread alone has stopped me even looking at a Remington or Marlin.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master

Apologize for off topic but this weekend I visited a friend and he showed me his guns. He is not a big gun person but he had a Marlin 336(I didn't see a JM on it anywhere but it did have a slim forend. Beautiful gun. I had never seen one without the FAT forend. I should have noted the serial so I could look up the date of manufacture. I will the next time I see him.
    John
    W.TN

MaLar; That is the #1 reason I love our forum. Getting the word out to our friends when we feel we have been wronged buy others and save them the grief some of us have been through with what in my opinion is just shoddy products and services. Enjoy the day. Gp

Boolit Man
    2ndAmendmentNut; Glad to here your scatter gun has been found

MaLar; Just be very careful if you ever do think about buying one. I think someone said they only have trained monkeys assembling parts that a machine kicks out. There is no one their to make sure the monkeys are using the right parts.

All I can say is this was probably a good time for marlin to see if they could assemble a rifle that was done correct. they can't?. won't? don't care? Who knows. They put out nice looking ones from the custom shop that aren't much more than I paid for this one. This gun listed for $1,146.00 I paid just under one thousand bucks. It has man made plywood stocks, and probably less work than the blued steel model that can be had for 400 bucks with a rebate. How greedy can they be. How stupid can I be for buying it in the first place.? Just because it looks cool.

Finally I've got my water line done, fixed over tightened buried broken fittings and ready for the next project. First, I shouldn't have accepted the package. Sorry the pictures won't download. The box looked like it got ran over, then rolled up and taped. I'll keep trying to figure out how to get the pics here from my phone.

Any way here are some pictures of the, ahh Where to start. The new and better stock, Notice the saw blade cut under the feather edge. any one that has worked with wood knows it will raise and peel http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
    Then there is the new number five barrel that was professionally installed. Just that no body told them you need to make sure it's clocked at 12:00 not 12:15

You can also see the fore end cap with a gap on the left side. (right as looking at it) That is proof the barrel is not clocked right and the mag tube is proud on the left side also when looking down the barrel.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

This picture is how they make up for not installing the barrel right. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

And more pictures of there tooling gone bad. This is the only good land in the tube. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

This is a picture of a "step" to the land. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Here is a picture of a valley in one of the lands. Which by the way can be seen all the way from the chamber to the muzzle. (looking from the chamber end) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

This picture shows how shallow the lands/groves are to each other. Just get the light right and you cant see them. even with a tooth pic, it's difficult to tell which click is a grove, grove in the grove, land, or valley in the land.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Well that got goofed up. I don't know what happened. Last time you could make the pics larger, Sorry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2714.jpg   DSCF2705.jpg   DSCF2686.jpg   DSCF2480.jpg   DSCF2481.jpg  

DSCF2483.jpg   DSCF2484.jpg  
    Last edited by comprschrg; 09-23-2017 at 02:29 PM.

They just can't get it right can they? Hope we don't hear stories in the paper about someone going off the edge, 45-70 in hand. Sorry, I shouldn't even joke about that, but this level of incompetence is just beyond belief. Gp

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    They just can't get it right can they? Hope we don't hear stories in the paper about someone going off the edge, 45-70 in hand. Sorry, I shouldn't even joke about that, but this level of incompetence is just beyond belief. Gp
    That couldn't happen to me, I'm too lazy.

Right again though, This is worse than the ones before being they didn't index or clock the barrel right. They shot the thing and sent a target with three holes in it. they measure 1 1/2 inch which is great if it's at 100 yards. But the rifling is still defective, and It just should have been a clue that they had to move the rear site all the way to the right to get it to shoot where they wanted it. when you look down the site picture it's just not right. the front site is canted. That drives me nuts. and if you look at the barrel you can see the mag tube a little prouder on the left side, and the fore end cap it smashed into the barrel on the right side with a large gap on the other. That also makes a gap on the fore end. you can see it in the picture with the bubbles. The last two barrels this gun had on it, it wasn't that way.!! it's not right.! the person that did it had to know.

comprschrg: Same thing when I sent mine back for repair. Remlin seems to think if they send you a target shot somewhere by someone at some unknown distance that it is somehow proof that everything is just fine and you should be happy with the ***. Incompetence at the highest in my opinion. Gp

They appear to have excelled themselves with this one!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I was going to buy a marlin Saturday and all I could think about was this thread and all the horror stories I've heard. I wouldn't be opposed to a Henry if it had a loading gate. I think I will need to overlook the loading gate at this point and go with a nice rifle. I work to hard to spend my money on junk. Especially if the customer service is horrible. I hope someone who sits behind a desk sees this thread and decides to fix the problem or stop making the problem. Best of luck. I wouldn't have given them a chance after the second time.

It appears that Marlin has had an adequate time to work over these barrel problems. In the newest addition of the American Rifleman on the questions and answers page (50) there is a question about a Marlin 44-40 serial #425 where it is stated "Interestingly, the barrel's bore is drilled off center." Remington seems to have inherited the technology . lol Gp

Last week i bought a new guide gun,blue,walnut. I looked it over and it looked good. When i got it home and ran a patch in the bore i could see the rifling was galled about halfway down. So i went and hand lapped the barrel and it cleaned up pretty good. I e-mailed remlin and told them what was wrong and how i delt with it. I thought they would void warrenty but instead they just said if it didnt shoot good to let them know and have it sent back. After reading this nightmare i am not sure i will send it back. The rifle was made i think in jan. 2016. Other wise this rifle is really nice shape. Havent shot it yet so will see.
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Man
    I'm going to try posting more pictures because my conversation with remington this morning only got me a "those pictures look fine" no bad barrel. I think they are getting degraded some how. I want to see if these show up better. the first pictures is of the best land in the bore. It should give you something to judge the other pictures by, or compare them to.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta... <br /> (right side) left side land has a step in it.

now these next two pictures are of the worst section of the barrel. there is a large valley in the right third part of the land

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...&thumb=1&stc=1

Here is another picture. I wanted to make sure you could see the notch all the way to the crown. proof there is a valley.

I don't know why the pictures are showing up on the bottom and not in the writing. they aren't in the order I copied them ether. Backwards. and they are grainy. I promise they look good on my computer. I don't know if they look good here? sorry. Can you see the valley in the land? you'll just have to believe me the valley is 1/3 of the land and it is as deep as the grove.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2802.jpg   DSCF2805.jpg   DSCF2811.jpg  
    Last edited by comprschrg; 09-25-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70marlin View Post
    Last week i bought a new guide gun,blue,walnut. I looked it over and it looked good. When i got it home and ran a patch in the bore i could see the rifling was galled about halfway down. So i went and hand lapped the barrel and it cleaned up pretty good. I e-mailed remlin and told them what was wrong and how i delt with it. I thought they would void warrenty but instead they just said if it didnt shoot good to let them know and have it sent back. After reading this nightmare i am not sure i will send it back. The rifle was made i think in jan. 2016. Other wise this rifle is really nice shape. Havent shot it yet so will see.
    If it shoots good I wouldn't send it back. It can get worse!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by comprschrg View Post
    I'm going to try posting more pictures because my conversation with remington this morning only got me a "those pictures look fine" no bad barrel. I think they are getting degraded some how. I want to see if these show up better. the first pictures is of the best land in the bore. It should give you something to judge the other pictures by, or compare them to.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta... <br /> (right side) left side land has a step in it.

now these next two pictures are of the worst section of the barrel. there is a large valley in the right third part of the land

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...&thumb=1&stc=1

Here is another picture. I wanted to make sure you could see the notch all the way to the crown. proof there is a valley.

I don't know why the pictures are showing up on the bottom and not in the writing. they aren't in the order I copied them ether. Backwards. and they are grainy. I promise they look good on my computer. I don't know if they look good here? sorry. Can you see the valley in the land? you'll just have to believe me the valley is 1/3 of the land and it is as deep as the grove.
    Have you slugged this barrel? If so, what are it's measurements? I'm just curious. I looked at two just last week. One was an 1895CB and the other was a GBL (is that right???) they both had rifling but it appeared that the grooves were shallow. The CB was pre-owned but unfired. Not sure of it's vintage. The other was new. I think both were manufactured at least one + year ago.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 09-25-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    USMC 6638

I really don't want to send it back. I will shoot it Thursday. It looks like to me that during the cutting of the rifling the chips are not cleaned out properly and then gall the rifling. My guess. It sucks as this rifle looks real good,the only other complaint is the sharp edges on the leaver. I will shoot about 50 300 gr. Hornady hp threw it to smooth it up. If it shoots good that will be the only jacked bullets this gun will see. I wish remlin would get their act together.
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Man
    oldblinddog; yes, they make GBL.(guide big loop) not sure on the guide. It's the blued one. Mine is the sbl. stainless big loop.

I haven't slugged the bore. I did try a pin gauge. the .450 was the largest that would fit. I've been so busy I haven't had time to do that. It's boxed and ready for ups right now. I held off for a week, hoping to do that. (slug it) but this morning talking with Marlin my return order got started and I had to box it up.

There web site says deep-cut ballard type rifling. Mine is NOT deep cut. I wish the marlin rep. could see the bore. He would be able to see how shallow it is. It goes somewhere else. All he can see is my crummy pictures.
    I really don't know how the blued barrels are.

GP had a bad one and got his money back.
    If you can take a tooth pick with you and snag the lands and groves. you'll be able to tell if they are bad or not. Mine is VERY obvious. I can feel groves in the lands, and groves in the groves. the bad lands are so shallow the tooth pic will barley snag.

45-70marlin; My first few barrels looked the same way, in that it looked like chips were cutting more that the cutter. I'm not sure how they cut the rifling on these. I know what you mean on the sharp edges. That was part of the reason I picked the stainless. I went to town with a file and sandpaper.

I wish they'd get there act together too. believe it or not I told Marlin I'd still rather get a good barrel put on than get my money back. He said they were in spec. He needs to physically go there and look for himself.

Boolit Master
    The one I looked at was stainless. The grooves were deeper than yours but not by much. The CB was blued, of course, and it's barrel was about like yours is.
    USMC 6638

comprscrg; To add to the worries here, there have been reports of the receivers cracking on the front-bottom where the barrels thread in on Remlin 45-70s. As many times as barrels have been screwed in and out plus the over clocking issue it may be time to start with a whole new rifle. Gp

"He said they were in spec". How does he know that? And if what you're experiencing is considered "in spec"........

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast