Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    As deep as you're in this little darling (oozing sarcasm) , maybe a new Green Mountain bbl installed by a master would have you money ahead ( casual suggestion) .
    I know a guy in Arkansas that does a little lever gun work . His personal 1886 Win in 45-70 shoots 2.5 MOA to at least 300 yd .
    I sent him a Carcano and he sent me back a sub MOA wildcat for paper patch in 7x6.8 which proves miracles happen every day . He's a great guy to do business with also .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Man
    Harter
    Believe me I thought of that before during and now. I just taped the box up for the guy in the brown truck to pick up tomorrow. Well, it might be monday. I haven't gotten a conformation yet.

Boolit Man
    Harter
    Believe me I thought of that before during and now. I just taped the box up for the guy in the brown truck to pick up tomorrow. Well, it might be monday. I haven't gotten a conformation yet. By the way the rifle was made november of 2016
    Harter, what caliber is that 92, I've been thinking of getting one in 357. I have a browning made back in 1978 that is a 44 mag. It kicks harder than any gun I've shot with full loads.
    Last edited by comprschrg; 04-27-2017 at 09:53 PM.

It's a 45 Colts . I have 2 . A 16" seen from March 13' and a 20" from 82-86' .
    The slow twists are a bummer , the Lee 457-340F will stabilize . Important because mine don't play nice with super sonics . The SWCs get all undone and go wild past 80 yd . A paper patch 429421 opened to 448 will go north of 1400 at the muzzle and does a little better as do RNFP . At 1100 at the muzzle a 454424 is hard on hogs from gun fight to 50 yd for sure .

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by comprschrg View Post
    Oh yea. The reason I sent it back. With fingers crossed I started to clean the proof load copper out. That's when I started wondering if they really changed the barrel. Yup. A second conformation, It's a different barrel, but it looks the same!!!! must be it's twin brother.!!!!
    Man that's just really sad. Looks like it came back worse than before. I would be raising holy hell for a refund. Than use the cash to buy a 45-70 made by somebody else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    Duh! It doesn't list an exact weight because individual guns will vary due to differences in wood density.

Boolit Master
    Man,that just plain sucks.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the re assurance. I will keep my eyes peeled for a used marlin. They don't come around often in New Jersey especially in 45-70. But I'm not paying $700 for that kind of work (I won't call it craftsmanship as I feel like that's an insult to the real deal). At this point you may be better off demanding a refund. $1000 is ALOT of money.

I wound up purchasing a used 1895SBL a couple months ago. Figured it best to let someone else deal with finding and inspecting, etc. I showed up and gave it a good looking over and it was probably a solid 90 out of 100. Got it home and had to only do some minor sanding and tweaking so it wouldn't slice my fingers open on the loading gate. Also lightly sanded a few other trouble areas and now it functions silky smooth and is super accurate. I probably only have about 30 minutes worth of work in it to get it perfect and I saved $300 off retail. Win Win for me. But, I must confess, I'd been lurking in the forums, traders and classifieds for about a year waiting for the right one to pop up. I would have preferred to be able to just run out and buy one, but I knew better. In the end, it worked out even though it did take me a year to find it.

I have a 1970, Marlin 1895. I got it on a trade back then, it was used. I really didn't have much
    interest in it until I shot it. I put Lyman receiver sight on it and shot some outstanding groups
    with it (100yds) playing with it I had the witness plate maked out to 300yds. It is a outstanding
    shooter. I have Ruger #1 & #3 that will out shoot it off the bench. Off hand the Marlin is easier
    for me to shoot. The only thing I have done to it was skinn off about 1/3 of the wood on it. Now
    its like the old originals with wood even with metal. It do kick a little harder with less butt area.

Boolit Man
    Well I got a call to pick up my brand new 1895 SBL yesterday. I cleaned the copper from the proof loads out and what do you think I saw. Gives me great pain to say it, another bad barrel!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9456.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	197206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9496.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	197207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9465.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	197208 I know pictures tell it best. same as before, I think this barrel was made before the other two, because it's not as bad. What really gets me is there is no WARNING on the side. What a bummer. I thought I'd have the only non warning marlin on my block. Do I keep it, send it back, use it as a horse shoes stake? I called marlin this morning and they said send it back. I have an email to click and the guy in the brown truck will pick it up. Will I get another bad one. I tried to get his supervisor to find out if someone can look at the bore before they do whatever, but all he could do was notify someone. They must have had one heck of a bad run on barrels. The first one was made november of 16, then the re-barrel. He said this one was made this year. Didn't give me a month. I waited all day for his supervisor to call me. My phone never rang. Guess I call back in the morning.

Boolit Master

Man, you must really, really want this rifle. I don't think I could have held on this long. Good luck.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Even if each individual rifle is not thoroughly inspected, it seems that each barrel would be before it hits the parts bin. Can the machinists and engineers on the forum explain how such a sad state of affairs could develop within a factory?

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    Even if each individual rifle is not thoroughly inspected, it seems that each barrel would be before it hits the parts bin. Can the machinists and engineers on the forum explain how such a sad state of affairs could develop within a factory?
    If you pay peanuts you only get monkies!
    And if the QC department is all but shut down everything will hit the shelves.

That's how Colt got started with their military contract.
    Ship everything and repair what returns.

Like cars there are gun-users who have no clue hot it works and how it's supposed to look. So a lot of the "rejects" will get accepted and by the time people fezz up it's to late.

Vendor Sponsor

OP so sorry to read of the misfortunes surrounding this gun. I HOPE you get it resolved amicably! I think were it me I would be asking for a refund and completely distancing myself from this particular model. Bad barrel indeed, the crown is horribly eccentric. Twice as wide on one side as it is on the other.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RemlinCrown.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	197309
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Man
    DougGuy, I knew someone would notice the uh, what looks like a crown. Glad it was you. It doesn't even conform to the un square badly sanded roller coaster looking muzzle. My 1990's camera needs replacing. I took over 200 pictures to get only a few good ones. If you look down the bore it's really easy to see the good side of the bore, and the non existent lands on the other. I'll post the best bad picture I could take. The lands are only about .0005 tall. You can barley get a tooth pick to snag on them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9478.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	197318 I told you I need a new camera. I did ask customer service about getting my money back, and the place I purchased it. It will mean loosing hundreds of dollars. I am still thinking about it though because I haven't clicked the "set up the return" e-mail marlin sent me. I'm thinking I'd have to wait till they ran another batch of barrels.

Boolit Grand Master

This is a sad thin to see and it happens when manufacturers hire from temp agencies and give little to no real training. It happens in all industries and can be a big issue when you hit a retirement cycle after many years. Imagine a 1/8-3/16 of the work force retireing over 3-4 years due to the original horing when plant started or other cycles. Any large employment increase has this effect in 25-30 years In industry. A trained and skilled production worker is an important commodity in a plant. Hes the one who makes the pay point on the lines. Engineers desighn and support, Skilled trades keep him working but hes the one putting things out the door. Another issue is if this is a marlinj a Remington /marlin after the merger? Is marlin making the barrels still or are they farmed out by the pencil pushers saving a dime? As to the cause I'm not sure as this is a button filed blank and I would think even a damaged button would give some image on the bad side. an egg shaped hole maybe could have this affect.

Quote Originally Posted by comprschrg View Post
    DougGuy, I knew someone would notice the uh, what looks like a crown. Glad it was you. It doesn't even conform to the un square badly sanded roller coaster looking muzzle. My 1990's camera needs replacing. I took over 200 pictures to get only a few good ones. If you look down the bore it's really easy to see the good side of the bore, and the non existent lands on the other. I'll post the best bad picture I could take. The lands are only about .0005 tall. You can barley get a tooth pick to snag on them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9478.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	197318 I told you I need a new camera. I did ask customer service about getting my money back, and the place I purchased it. It will mean loosing hundreds of dollars. I am still thinking about it though because I haven't clicked the "set up the return" e-mail marlin sent me. I'm thinking I'd have to wait till they ran another batch of barrels.
    according to google, Ballard rifled barrels have grooves generally in the range of .069-.090" wide, and .0015-.003"
    Be mindful of your thoughts
    They are your future

The Rem made rifles in Illion have the standard .450x.458 6 right .
    I would think that by the 3rd time back they would have sent it over to the custom shop and turned a 458 WM bbl down and installed that .

Vendor Sponsor

I did ask customer service about getting my money back, and the place I purchased it. It will mean loosing hundreds of dollars.
    You got a lemon. There is bound to be some protection you can use to get out from under this one. I would file a complaint with the Attorney General's office of the state in which you live, and let that sink in. In North Carolina if you go online and file at the ncdoj page, they send out a letter and by law the people MUST respond in writing within a certain time stating what they intend to do. Hundreds of dollars to return a defective product? I think NOT!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast