Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7.92X39 for CZ 527 carbine

Boolit Master
    My 2 x39's are a sks with a new yugo barrel and a rebarreled carcano with a new sks yugo barrel. Because of the generous military throats I found all of my 8mm boolits will size down and fit the throat perfectly and shoot very good. I found something that played with my head in the last year. Some PC boolits lubed with Simple Lube(recipe on lube section) shoot much better than PC only. Kinda defeats the purpose of why we PC but then again I will do almost anything to get better groubs!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Man
    I may be hitting some of y'all up for some bullet samples hopefully in the near future.

Armoredman, I accidentally deleted your email while transferring your info to my little library. Could I impose on you to send it again?

Boolit Man
    I pulled my scope back as far as it'd go to get a more comfortable cheek weld.
    Center and upper left are getting it rezeroed and getting me warmed up. Upper right is ten shots. This is the cheap steel cased Monarch bulk can ammo from Academy. 100 yards. Yes, it is.

Hard to argue with that. I'd still like something more expanding for hunting. I didn't take pics of the American groups I shot because they were just shameful. Best was 5".

Boolit Master
    Gonna sound lousy to ya but there are two distinct ammo makers for the x39, those who use .310 diameter bullets and those who use .312 bullets. I suspect Monarch is in the latter group based on your target. Federal, Winchester, Fiochi all use .310. Go to CZ's website and look up the x39 527 and they say it in black and white, the gun is designed for .312 diameter bullets and will not shoot to potential with smaller diameter bullets. Try some Tula. Yeah it's steel case but it shoots quite well.

That said, I bought mine at the end of the year and love it. I've been buying range pick up brass at www.carolinabrass.net I bought a set od Redding dies but they are made weird, I suspect to accommodate the range of military chambers out there. Screwed into the press in a normal fashion to touch the shell holder, the cases will be shorter than minimum length, my 527 won't fire them so sized. I have about .009 clearance between the die and shell holder. Redding says it makes a set of 5 shell holders that are taller than standard in .002 increments to use with the dies. Hmmmm..... I don't think so.

I've got about 8 pounds now of 7383 left on hamd and I'm not using it in anything else. I'm running 21.5 grains of it under the Lee 312180 and it's a quite fun load. I run both the Lee 312150 and the NOE 129 grainer with 10 grains of Unique. Fun loads. I've no need for hotter stuff, have bigger guns for that

If you do a search, you'll find plenty of people who have had a less than stellar experience with the little Mauser feeding well. Count me as one of those. Mine has issues I'm positive are magazine related and this does seem to be the experience of others. Apparently CZ is of little help with the matter with several reporting they've sent their rifle back only to have it returned with the same issue. Adjusting the feed lips helped mine, but it will still jam (nose rides too high and jams into the top of chamber).

Issues aside, I enjoy mine, hope you enjoy yours, keep us posted on your journey and thanks, as this thread has revealed a few new boolits to give a run

Boolit Man
    I did read their product page and did notice that. Yeah, it says very specifically, "Some American brands will not be as accurate." Or at least something to that effect. Specifically made to CIP standards so that it can take advantage of steel cased surplus ammo. I just worry about using it on these smallish deer around here. I've seen what it'll do to a human body, but in most of those cases the person affected lived. I worry that these FMJ bi-metal jacketed bullets will zip right through these 150 pound or less deer and not give a humane kill.

I'm not disappointed in their accuracy through this rifle, I expected it. I'm mostly shooting it as a "try and see" approach because I did get good groups with the first batch of American Eagle I tried. But not since then, even with the same ammo. Got approximately 1 inch with the first batch. Have been hoping to repeat that.

Also have used some Bear ammo and Monarch, both in soft point and hollow point. Last Sunday, I was getting approximately 2-2.5" groups. Good enough for a vital zone shot at the ranges I expect of less than 100 yards. Super thick brush round here.

American brands are giving me trigger time and brass. I'll be reloading with .312 bullets I'm sure, now that you pointed that out for me. I wasn't too sure which size was which for US vs CIP.

I won't use Tula. I've seen a few split cases. I don't mind Bernaul's brands, nothing but good luck with them (Monarch, Bear). I had a few Tula split in my Mosin Nagant 91/30, and I used very little of those. I've seen them split in x39 AKs, 5.56 ARs, and some 9mm (not my guns, I'd quit tula long before). I've shot thousands of rounds of Bernaul brands with nothing negative to say about it. Very pleased with them. Probably edging near 10K total. That's spread out over quite a few years.

I don't know if I mentioned this, I tried some Geco "Target" ammo. Total ****. Range officer asked me how big a target they were expecting me to shoot at. I only shot half a box, 10 rounds. Took the rest home and weighed them, got a spread of about 20 grains of weight on the loaded ammo. Pulled the bullets and weighed all the components. Bullets and casings had a spread of about half a grain, between 20 cases and ten bullets, respectively. That tells me there was a huge variation in the powder charges. Now, I'm new to reloading, only doing 44 mag right now, so I don't know much at all. But what very little I do know makes me believe those are dangerously loose tolerances. Like, maybe one load could squib and the next could kaboom? I don't know, but it seemed scary as hell to me.

The cases also didn't seem very good quality. The mouths all had some nicks on them. I was thinking it's my rifle as they're all identical nicks, or nearly so. But ten were never cycled through the rifle, and the American Eagle brass is in perfect condition. Makes me wonder.

Boolit Man
    The mag I got with my rifle sucked. Feed lips were stretched out, follower was cracked. I modified it into a bob sled. Ordered two new ones, haven't even used them yet, but I cycled some ammo through them to see if they fed well and they did. But guess what? I've FREAKING LOST THEM!!! Haha! I can laugh about it because I know they've never left the house, but I ain't got a dang clue for sure where they are! I was going to store them in the case with the rifle, but I was afraid they'd rattle around and mar the pristine stock. So, oh well. They around here some freaking where.

Boolit Master
    I dont know what brand of cases Armoredman is shooting, but I looked at several of his cases, he has reloaded them so many times, and there were so many extractor marks on the case head that you could hardly read the Headstamp any more.
    Now that is a case that lasts.

Boolit Man
    I hear Federal and Starline are some of the best, but I still don't know enough in reloading or have experienced enough to judge.

Boolit Master
    That is why we are here to guide you, or at least share our opinions.

Boolit Man
    And that's why I'm here!

Winchester, actually, that and a handful of Fiocchi, but the primer pockets on those are tight as all get out. Yes, I do have some that have ten or more extractor marks, and are still going strong.
    Sorry, I've been away, sent you a PM. Sorr about the magazine - LAGS made me the worlds only CZ 527M 10 round magazine...works perfectly.

Boolit Man
    I use mostly Winchester for my 44, only because they're some of the cheaper 44 before I started reloading for it. I assumed they'd be good. Most of them have only been reloaded 2-3 times.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123