Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.92X39 for CZ 527 carbine

Boolit Man

7.92X39 for CZ 527 carbine

Wasn't sure where to post this, the rifle isn't military but the round commonly is. Mods, please move if needed.

Has anyone reloaded this round for this rifle? If so, what are some good recipes for a decent "do all" round? One that's pretty accurate and good for hunting decent sized white tail.

Looking at buying the bullets, not casting yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Tests with a Mini MK X bolt action which results should be very close in a CZ 527 Carbine. I can repost the attachments if you need them.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...LeveRevolution

Larry Gibson

Attachment 190012

Boolit Master
    Here is a cut and paste from a PM I had with a member who was later banned. He posted pictures of targets where there was one big hole at 100 yards. I have not tried his loads and can't speak to their safety or any other thing. I have no idea if they are safe, but here is the info:

"With the Lapua brass I didn't have any problems. My normal load is 24gr H322 under that Lee C309-150F sized in the .313" die. I tried .312" and it didn't do as well. I don't crimp, and the boolit is set out to lightly engage the front band. 23-25gr all shot good groups, but I chose 24gr to give me some leeway with temperature change. WLR primers seemed to give me better accuracy than F210s.

My mix would be close to 50/50 wheelweights and soft lead with a few % tin added and water dropped. this makes for a malleable metal that will mushroom, but is not brittle. I'm using homebrew lube ahead of the GC ONLY. Your mileage may vary......my CZ527 has seen no jacketed rounds other than what it was factory test fired with.

The CZ will chamber and shoot longer and heavier boolits. My load is pretty snappy, so I chose to not use heavier boolits. I want to experiment with the NOE 311008 in GC form (125gr).

This is a really neat little rifle. Its size and the size of its cartridge really disguises its capability."

Boolit Man
    Wow, first two replies and some good info.
    Larry, I'm still digging through that thread and wrapping my mind around the data you shared. I'm very new to reloading and not fluent in ballistics yet. Is my initial impression that lighter bullets, slower burning powders, and lower velocities seem to produce better accuracy, correct? Or am I such a newb that I'm way off track?

For the record, I only got the rifle just recently, and achieved several groups averaging about 1" at 100 yards using Federal American Eagle. I'm wanting to equal or improve that with a round more suitable for hunting, and would be happy with the lower cost of reloading. I'm getting groups just slightly larger with FMJ steel cased Monarch, but the softpoints and hollow points I've tried don't like each other, they seem to want at least 8" between them. I'm more likely to hit the center of the target if I don't aim at it. But I worry an FMJ will zip right through these deer around here. They look pretty wimpy compared to what I'm used to back in North Miss'ippi.

Also, using a Leupold Vari-X III, 3.5-10

Boolit Master
    Contact "Armoredman" on the forum.
    He has baan reloading for the CZ 527 for as long as i have known him.
    He does Cast Loads and PC'ed loads for it too.
    He was reloading for this rifle when He contacted me about building him an adjustable rear sight for his rifle to improve accuracy.
    Since then I pillar bedded his original stock for him, then built him a Custom Pistol Grip stock for his rifle.

Boolit Man
    I was wondering where I'd read that name. He was on another forum telling me about that sight. I quote, "Best move I ever made". I don't suppose you'd have another one laying around?
    Thanks for the head's up, I'll send him a PM probably in the morning. But my alarm clock will be going off in about 4 hours to let me know it's time to get up and go to work, I need to try and get some sleep.

Boolit Master
    Would like to eventually try one of these: https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/...t#.WME0Rdx94_U

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHorseCowboy View Post
    Larry, I'm still digging through that thread and wrapping my mind around the data you shared. I'm very new to reloading and not fluent in ballistics yet. Is my initial impression that lighter bullets, slower burning powders, and lower velocities seem to produce better accuracy, correct? Or am I such a newb that I'm way off track?........
    On track except with the 7.62x39 with the 9 - 10" twist you will find heavier bullets (for cartridge) of 150 - 200 gr with slower burning powders that ignite and burn efficiently at lower psi's is the path to best accuracy and the better to hunt with.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I recently reamed a .314 sizing die to .3155 to size down 8mm boolits slip into fire formed x39 case neck. The lee Maxi at 245 gr and the lee Karibiner at 220 gr are real pumpkins in this x39 case. This should rival the 300 BO!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Perma-Banned
    If you already own it, there is data everywhere for it an Hornady makes bullets. If you don't, buy a 308.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by richmanpoorman View Post
    If you already own it, there is data everywhere for it an Hornady makes bullets. If you don't, buy a 308.
    I already own it. Got the rifle and scope for $450 on consignment. But I'm willing to just go buy anything you think I should have. If you pay for it.

Boolit Master
    The sight was a Hand Fit endeavor.
    That is how I met Armoredman.
    We were on a Forum out of Pakistan, and he was saying that they didnt make a adjustable sight for that rifle.
    So I said send me your rear sight and I can make one.
    Found out we lived 60 miles apart
    I made the first one, and it fit a little loose, so I remade it and met him at the range to hand final fit it.
    A friend of his gave me some Africian Mahogony.
    So as a thanks to Armoredman, I made him the Custom Stock for that rifle for Free, with some extraa features that he only dreamed of having in a stock.
    He also runs the CZ Forum

Boolit Master
    You got a very good price on the rifle and I figure you got the scope for free. Great rifle that should deliver more than you expect and I suggest expecting a lot.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    The sight was a Hand Fit endeavor.
    That is how I met Armoredman.
    We were on a Forum out of Pakistan, and he was saying that they didnt make a adjustable sight for that rifle.
    So I said send me your rear sight and I can make one.
    Found out we lived 60 miles apart
    I made the first one, and it fit a little loose, so I remade it and met him at the range to hand final fit it.
    A friend of his gave me some Africian Mahogony.
    So as a thanks to Armoredman, I made him the Custom Stock for that rifle for Free, with some extraa features that he only dreamed of having in a stock.
    He also runs the CZ Forum
    Oh, he runs that forum? That's the forum I was talking about. I try not to mention other forums in forums... sounds as weird to say it out loud as it does to type it. What I mean is, I don't mention Castboolits in the Ruger forum, Ruger in CZ, so on and so forth. Some moderators and owners don't allow it. I haven't had a real problem with it, but I've had comments deleted and PMs from moderators and owners firmly telling me that mention of other forums by name isn't allowed. I always thought it was stupid, but, whatever. I abide by house rules when I can.
    I'd love to see that stock!
    Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    You got a very good price on the rifle and I figure you got the scope for free. Great rifle that should deliver more than you expect and I suggest expecting a lot.
    Or bought the scope and got the gun for free? Lol, I found the same scope in a pawn shop, NIB, for the same price.

Boolit Master
    I didnt mention What CZ forum ? LOL
    Contact Armoredman on This Forum.
    He and I have become great friends over these 6 or more years.
    We do get together and go shooting and on occasion Hunting, even if he cant hit Jack with a 38 Rossi

I'm not close to my home so I don't have all the load data I usually came come up with, but I do know that 21.5 gr of Accurate Arms #1680 works wonders under the NOE 129 gr bullet, powder coated or hard lubed, sized to .311 in my rifle. Yes, the rear sight is a doozy, and the stock is a wowzer - get many compliments and questions about it. That is a spare 5 round mag in the bottom of the rear stock, and that is the only fully functional 10 round magazine I know of, LAGS first prototype that I refuse to give back - it works perfectly.
    Attachment 190111

PS, if you want the aforementioned forums actual name and address I can PM thee...
    Last edited by armoredman; 03-09-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Boolit Man
    Yeah, sure, I'd love to have it! I assumed it was the only CZ forum I'm a member of, where we've met.
    That is one gorgeous rifle, nice work LAGS!
    Armoredman, you need to at least loan him that prototype if it will help him make one for me!
    Thank you for the info!

Boolit Master
    Don't have the CZ, but in my Zastava carbine I'm having great luck with the Ranch Dog 313-150 TL from NOE over AA1680 or H322.

Interestingly enough, the Lee cast 160gr slug also does decent over 21.5 grains of AA#1680. Both loads sit at 2.185 COAL. I don't crimp them, and a quick old pic of the 129 gr load shows why...

It works just fine like that, also hard lubed.

The 155gr Lee also is decent performer. I also have a little data for the 128.5 grain Lyman slug, if you want.

Boolit Man
    Man, I'd love all the info I can get. I'll make a little mini library.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast