RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TC Cherokee 45 value

Boolit Master

TC Cherokee 45 value

found a guy who has a excellent condition Cherokee with double set triggers. he wants $350 shipped.I have seen these go for as much as $600. thoughts? I want a TC 45 Flintlock but they are almost impossible to find and if you do they are rust buckets. This may hold me until i find one or have a custom built from TVA.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    your not going to find one cheaper. Just make sure its not a rust tube

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    your not going to find one cheaper. Just make sure its not a rust tube
    I agree with Squeeze, these bring premium dollar, especially the .32 Cal, if its in good shape you better grab it! Personally i have no use for a .45 Barrel in either a Seneca, or Cherokee. I had a like new .45 Barrel for my Seneca and traded it off, The .45 in both the Seneca and Cherokee require light loads (TC has separate load Data specifically for the Seneca and Cherokee) in my opinion both rifles are Ideally suited with the .32 or .36 Cal barrels

Boolit Master

Sounds like a great deal to me. I had an excellent condition Cherokee safe queen in .45 cal. I sold it about 5 years ago for $475.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    I agree with Squeeze, these bring premium dollar, especially the .32 Cal, if its in good shape you better grab it! Personally i have no use for a .45 Barrel in either a Seneca, or Cherokee. I had a like new .45 Barrel for my Seneca and traded it off, The .45 in both the Seneca and Cherokee require light loads (TC has separate load Data specifically for the Seneca and Cherokee) in my opinion both rifles are Ideally suited with the .32 or .36 Cal barrels
    where do I find load data for the Cherokee or Seneca? What didn't you like about these in 45?

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    where do I find load data for the Cherokee or Seneca? What didn't you like about these in 45?

'cause he can't use those 400gr paper-patched bullets over 100gr of powder in them. and even if he could, he would suffer on the back end as much as whatever he was shootin' at on the other end in that little-bitty gun.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    found a guy who has a excellent condition Cherokee with double set triggers. he wants $350 shipped.I have seen these go for as much as $600. thoughts? I want a TC 45 Flintlock but they are almost impossible to find and if you do they are rust buckets. This may hold me until i find one or have a custom built from TVA.

I right often see them LISTED for 600 or even more on the auction sites but, can't recall ever seein' one actually SELL for those prices(unless maybe it was one of the small-bore Cherokees). usually the ones that DO actually get bids & sell are somewhere in the 350 to 450 range. so yeh, in the condition described it would be a pretty good deal.

my opinion & yer welcome to it.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    'cause he can't use those 400gr paper-patched bullets over 100gr of powder in them. and even if he could, he would suffer on the back end as much as whatever he was shootin' at on the other end in that little-bitty gun.
    LOL, You got me figured out bubba.50!

Since i already own a GM LRH barrel in .45 that i can shoot pretty much ANYTHING i want in it i just didnt have a need for the little 'light n weak' .45 Seneca barrel

Perma-Banned
    I might ad, a friend of mine contacted me a few months back and warned me to be DARN careful with my little .45 Seneca, he had just cracked his stock shooting a Maxi Ball, He was loaded light by the TC book and stil broke the stock. That was a little extra persuasion to move mine along to someone that wanted to shoot weak, light loads. Again, I believe both the Seneca and Cherokee SHINE in the 2 small Calibers, .32 and .36, they do not produce enough recoil to hurt anything, When you handle a Seneca you are handling a VERY scaled down Hawken. Another important note, NEVER over tighten the side lock screw, i go finger tight, and barely snug it up with a screw driver so it wont come loose, i NEVER pinch that screw down tight, if you do so you are begging for a broke stoke

Boolit Master
    how much smaller are the 45 Cherokees to the Hawken?

Perma-Banned
    everything about them except for length of pull is built smaller. but the main thing is the barrel is 13/16ths across the flats compared to 15/16ths for the Hawken & 1in in the Renegade and 54cal Hawken.

Boolit Master
    where could I find a on line load manual for the cherokee

Boolit Master

Keep an eye on your stock, they have a tendency to split at the lock bolt/escutcheon. I shoot mine with 70 grains and a 128 grain patched round ball. Works fine on deer to 75 yards. Cut the load in half and it's plenty for squirrels. Enjoy your rifle.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned
    From TC manual

32 cal RB (.315", 47gn)

30 gns FFFg 1714 fps 307 FT Lbs
    40 gns FFFg 1929 fps 388 FT Lbs
    50 gns FFFg 2055 fps 441 FT Lbs ( Max! in red writing)

32 cal Maxi-ball 103gn)

30 gns FFFg 1418 fps 460 FT Lbs
    40 gns FFFg 1628 fps 606 FT Lbs
    50 gns FFFg 1749 fps 700 FT Lbs ( Max! in red writing)

Those are all hot loads. I normally shoot a .315 ball with ~15-20 grains 3f

Perma-Banned
    I believe he's lookin' for 45cal loads for his Cherokee.

Perma-Banned
    Here ya go, this is straight from my TC Manual for the Seneca and Cherokee .45 Cal

Attachment 190031 Attachment 190032

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seneca_A85.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	190033

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seneca_Bc85.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	190034

Perma-Banned
    In my opinion 80 Grains of 2F behind a 320 Grain Maxi ball/Hunter in a Seneca, or Cherokee is asking for problems? But TC says you can do it.

Perma-Banned
    Squeeze, we are at war here! LOL, we must have posted at the exact same time? Proof that great minds think alike! LOL

Boolit Master
    It may be just the way I planted my cheek up against that stock, but I got a bruise from that .45 barrel the first time out and that was with 50gr. FFF
    Maybe it's an age related thing. I do find I bruise easier now.
    I've since put a sheepskin wrap on the stock.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast