Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TC Cherokee 45 value

Once upon a time (early 1980's) I bought new .45 Cherokee for deer in my state - as here in my state, muzzleloaders were (and still at) the only rifles that could be legally used for whitetails.

In it, I used a T/C Maxi-Hunter boolit over 70gr FFFg, which was accurate, took deer expeditiously, but slapped my cheek about the same as the CF .44 Mag Ruger autoloader I used for taking Maine deer (as a non-resident) - which surprised me.

About 20 years later, I lucked into a .45 Seneca for chump change, and started to use it for deer instead of the Cherokee because for some reason the stock didn't slap my cheek like the Cherokee did.

Shortly afterward, my state's hunting laws were changed to mandate .45cal or over (only) for deer and the use of rifles under .45 cal (only) for small game - but since I couldn't find a reasonably-priced .36 Seneca, I satisfied my small game needs with a .36 H&A underhammer rifle.

Then, about 5 years ago, I stumbled across a .36 Seneca - which I had been seeking ever since I bought the .45 Seneca.

I immediately sold the .36 H&A, then this last Winter finally sold the .45 Cherokee for $400.

IMO, today, a $350 Cherokee .45 in primo condition is a steal (the smaller .32 & .36 cal rifles will usually change hands for at least 150% the money of a .45 in either Cherokee or Seneca dress).

Anyone who looks to purchase any of the down-sized ( thinner barrels, more slender stocks & locks than the larger Hawken's) needs to understand that repair or replacement parts are un-obtainium, AND to check the wrist area of the stock very closely prior to purchase, for cracks/breakage from shooting Hawken-level heavy loads.

Broken stock's are a deal-breaker, unless the buyer is adept at stock repair.

Last edited by pietro; 12-31-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    IMO, today, a $350 Cherokee .45 in primo condition is a steal (the smaller .32 & .36 cal rifles will usually change hands for at least 150% the money of a .45 in either Cherokee or Seneca dress).
    This is spot on what I've seen! 70 Grains of 3F behind a Maxi Hunter in either a Cherokee or Seneca in .45 Cal would be a STOUT load in my opinion, I personally wouldn't chance it in mine.

Boolit Master
    what or who was the Cherokee designed for women and kids?i may end up selling it pretty quick.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    what or who was the Cherokee designed for women and kids?i may end up selling it pretty quick.
    barnabus, i am not sure if TC was thinking women and youth when they built the Cherokee and Seneca? It makes good sense if that was there plan? If your cherokee is in good shape i would keep it and search for a .32 Cal cherokee barrel! As previously stated I have the Seneca in .36 Cal and I absolutely love mine!!

what or who was the Cherokee designed for women and kids ?

No - It was a representation of the classic New England Hunting Rifle of the 2nd half of the 1800's.

The smaller sized locks/stocks/barrels were advantageous when woods-walking, and the calibers adequate for most game available in New England.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    where do I find load data for the Cherokee or Seneca? What didn't you like about these in 45?
    I have both in 45 cal. though I am about to restock the Seneca to turn it into something really special. I love both for hunting our local deer with PRB and have taken a mule deer or three up to 200# plus with no difficulty. Both have been tack drivers with PRB. My load for the 45's has always been 55 gr of 3F Goex black powder with an .010 patch. A long time ago I came across a few bags of the blue MMP sabots and tried those in the Seneca quickly finding out that the Seneca preferred cast lead 9mm boolits rather than 358's (who knows why). Those 125 gr. 9mm boolits were very accurate out to 200 yards where I touched a few coyotes. I did try the 9mm boolits on deer and did get a couple but PRB is far superior on deer.

Boolit Mold
    Just found this thread--- I picked up a PRISTINE Cherokee in .45 last year for $225. My go-to prior rifle was (still have it) a .50 Renegade, with 85g of Pyrodex behind a maxi-hunter. As I am aging ( aren't we all?) I find the Renegade a bit heavy for a day of stalking, and the Cherokee is so much lighter it is a pleasure to carry. I have found good accuracy with 60g Pyrodex and a PRB (.440) but I recently bought a mould for .445 hoping for even more. The REAL bullets I have cast so far have been terrible. That is good information about the lock screw as mine has been chronically loose and the impulse is to tighten it right up. What are thoughts out there about .440 vs .445?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12