Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordered a kit pistol

Banned

Ordered a kit pistol

Finally got down to it!

Traditions Kentucky .50cal percussion. Now I will have a sidearm for hog hunting! I'll call it our little trapping pistol when my hog huntin buddy and I go out checking traps in the mornings.

I'll do my best to match the stain and browned furniture to my St.Louis Hawken rifle.

I think I'll only bed the trigger assembly on this one. I plan on keeping the charges fairly light around 20gr 2fg, just an up close and personal kind of pistol for rendezvous and hog trapping!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traditions-kentucky-pistol-kit-main.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	189981

Perma-Banned
    Enjoy! I have a Lyman Plains Pistol that looks similar.

Boolit Master
    Ya I have a CVA mountain pistol. But do not load more than 45grains in it. The barrel is plenty strong
    for more, but you stand a good chance of cracking the stock. Ask me how I know? (wink)

Enjoy! also shoot it at dark, it will light up everthing around you.

Fly

Banned
    Just a sneak peek. The barrel should be completely browned by tomorrow, then I can figure out what I want to do to the lock. Originally i wanted to brown it, but I may strip the color case finish off and do an aged in the white look, or follow through with my plan and brown it. Also will age the brass, hate shiny new looking brass, blah!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mg8810.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	355.2 KB 
ID:	191035

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    Just a sneak peek. The barrel should be completely browned by tomorrow, then I can figure out what I want to do to the lock. Originally i wanted to brown it, but I may strip the color case finish off and do an aged in the white look, or follow through with my plan and brown it. Also will age the brass, hate shiny new looking brass, blah!
    Looks good!!

Banned
    well, shes all done boys. I still have to age the brass, but for now, I really love the look and feel of the pistol. It will go nicely with my cva mountain pistol. I've got some 20 grain 2fg olde eynsford loads ready, along with some .015" patches and .490" round balls. Hopefully if the wind calms down by tomorrow, I can go shooting.

Banned
    20grs 2fg Olde Eynsford, .015" patches lubed in Frontier's anti-rust & patch lube, .490" round ball. 3 shots @ 12 yards distance. It seems I will need a higher sight, But I'll play with it for a while before swapping it out!

Boolit Master

Nothing wrong with that group.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

Try 25 gr. Less dwell time in the barrel, thus shoots lower.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Will do! I have some 30 grain loads ready to go once this Damn snow stops! Without power for 6 days now.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Looks great! You did a nice job on it! You will enjoy shooting that - keep us posted as you work up your loads and how she shoots. Enjoy!

Perma-Banned
    How in the world do you expect to shoot any lower without your fur hat on? LOL, Good shootin! I'd get a taller front sight, see what it does at 25-40ish yards?

50 grs of 3F will bring that ball down on target.
    You may already know this but cold blue will age the brass.
    Best, Thomas.

Banned
    45 grains is max load, plus the OE powder is comparable to swiss. shooting 20gr OE is like shooting 30gr goex 2fg.

Im not to worried about longer 20+ yard shots, this will mostly be used for hog hunting when a friend and I are checking traps.

Looks like it turned out really nice! I used to shoot 50 gr of Goex from the CVA Mountain pistol I had years ago. It was .50 and it shot really tight groups with that much powder. Instead of cloth patches I used some plastic sabot things made for RB. They worked good but were a tight fit IRRC.

Banned
    10 shot group, 15 yards, 30 grains Olde Eynsford 2fg, .490" Round Ball, .015" Patch. Recoil was little stiff, I actually feel my wrist getting a little sore today. That's to much powder for what I intend to use the pistol for, so I will go back to my normal load of 20 grains Olde Eynsford. Amazing little pistol guys! If you don't have one, YOU NEED ONE! These are a ton of fun to shoot.

She will need a higher front sight for sure!

Banned
    10 shot group, 15 yards, 30 grains Olde Eynsford 2fg, .490" Round Ball, .015" Patch. Recoil was little stiff, I actually feel my wrist getting a little sore today. That's to much powder for what I intend to use the pistol for, so I will go back to my normal load of 20 grains Olde Eynsford. Amazing little pistol guys! If you don't have one, YOU NEED ONE! These are a ton of fun to shoot.

She will need a higher front sight for sure!

Perma-Banned
    Good shooting!! Definitely a taller front sight to bring you down where you wanna be. That is a blade right? I have a box full of them for TC, Are Traditions a euro cut dovetail like Lyman?

I need to get my Lyman Plains .50 Cal back out, i had a problem with mine that i am confident i fixed but haven't shot it since the fix, after about 4 shots it would hangfire, then totally misfire, i swab good between shots, i couldn't see anything wrong? I pulled the nipple, cleaned it good, used compressed air to blow it out, and blow through the nipple hole, another 3-4 shots and it was unreliable again? After i got it thoroughly clean and dry i shined a super bright led light into the cleanout hole on the side of the snail, looking down the bore i could BARELY see a tiny faint bit of light, i played with drill bit sizes til i found the right one, i tried turning it by hand but it would catch and not let me, i marked the bit with a piece of tape so I wouldn't drill deeper, then hooked up to my drill and went slow, i wasn't trying to drill a deeper hole just clean out the existing. Sure enough there was a burr left behind, i shined the LED back thru the side cleanout hole and could see GOOD LIGHT. Plunged the barrel back out good with warm water, dried it good, oiled it up and put it away. I need to get it back out!

I have a Lyman Plains Pistol in .54 and I had to replace the sights to get it where I wanted it. These pistols kill game way out of proportion to their paper ballistics. I love mine and carry it often as back up to my rifle. Yours turned out great.

Install a sling stud to the bottom of the grip for a neck/shoulder sling. It helps offhand shooting greatly.
    Best, Thomas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast