Titan ReloadingStainLess Steel MediaGraf & SonsInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 5345 USD (89%)
WE HAVE REACHED OUR GOAL! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED CONTRIBUTE AND KEEP US GOING!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What process is closest to Hi-Tek without being Hi-Tek?

Boolit Master

What process is closest to Hi-Tek without being Hi-Tek?

I'm sold on Hi-Tek. I've pretty much mothballed my lubrisizers. I see a lot of folks doing "powder coat" or PC. What PC methods are out there that are close to Hi-Tek without being Hi-Tek? I'm not trying to do anything nefarious here, just trying to see what is what. I suspect that Hi-Tek is its own animal but not being familiar with anything else, I'm not sure.
    The good thing about science is that it's true no matter if you believe it or not. (Neil DeGrasse Tyson)

I was scolding my 5-year old for her and her friends making a giant mess in her room. She said they all did it. So I asked her: If all her friends jumped off a cliff, would she do it too? She said, "Oh no daddy! I would go to the bottom and try to catch them! They're my friends." Man, either I have a great kid or she has a stupid father.

Boolit Master

What are you trying to accomplish?
    Don Verna

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    AFAIK there are just the two Hi-Tek methods.
    the powder you mix with acetone, and the one you add the mix and the activator.
    the closest thing to that is probably the wet powder coat method.
    it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

this opinion brought to you by mister low-tech solution..

Boolit Master
    Hi-Tek was developed for coating bullets over 20 years ago, PC was developed to coat lawn furniture and auto parts.

You could ASBBDT with PC but IMHO, cost is the same in the long run. Of course BLL works well & is cheap.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I guess you could tri-nitride or moly coat them too.
    or make up a mix of tumble lube with some nitride powder I have seen that work before..
    it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

this opinion brought to you by mister low-tech solution..

Boolit Master
    Just trying to differentiate what is like Hi-Tek versus what isn't. For whatever reason, I'm not attracted to the P/C process. I'm just wondering if there is a coating system sorta kinda like Hi-Tek that I should know about.
    The good thing about science is that it's true no matter if you believe it or not. (Neil DeGrasse Tyson)

I was scolding my 5-year old for her and her friends making a giant mess in her room. She said they all did it. So I asked her: If all her friends jumped off a cliff, would she do it too? She said, "Oh no daddy! I would go to the bottom and try to catch them! They're my friends." Man, either I have a great kid or she has a stupid father.

You can go over on youtube. There are videos of people using paint and several other things to coat bullets. I used the hi-tek for two years and will use nothing else. On thing about hi-tek, it has been tested for safety and passed with flying colors. I don't know about the powdercoat. I stay away from it for safety reasons. If someone tests it I may change my mine.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

BLL is inexpensive, does not need baking, and bullets do not need to be stood up to process. No pretty colors and it does not add much to bulletin diameter lie PC does.
    Don Verna

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    What is BLL?

Boolit Master
    Many have tried to emulate the HITEK Supercoat in Australia over the last 20 odd years.
    One uses armature laquer with colour added.....Leads like buggery.
    Another tried autopaint...... Failed
    One had a blue coating. When you finished reloading 100 rounds, your fingers were blue from the coating coming off.

Why buggerize around with Voodoo coatings when you have the rolls Royce of bullet coatings????
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Drone propaganda responses are useless. If you don't want to use PC, BLL is a good choice.
    "Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    What is BLL?
    I second this!! What is BLL?

Landers

Boolit Master

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson

Boolit Master
    It depends on how much money you want to spend. The stuff i use, you have to buy by the bucket of 18kg, hitek will sell it to you in 1 litre lots don't they?

Are you trying to cup back on cost or just want to try something different?

Boolit Master
    Can you give more detail on that? It creates a barrier between the barrel and the lead, handles the heat of the gun powder burning and friction. I admit that i feel it would handle the heat better than powder coat would.

I know the stuff i use, when i re-melt damaged coated projectiles, i am left with a carcass of coating, i would assume PC would just turn to liquid.

With that said, both techniques are proven to work, and work very well.

I have never tried PC, the hi-tek application and curing methods seem to be so much easier due to not needing to stand them up before baking.

Boolit Master
    Sounds to me like saying "My wife is perfect in everyway." And then asking "Is there something better?"

Boolit Master
    hahaha i like that one, something i will never say to the mrs, unless i want a divorce soon after :P

I don't quite understand why we are comparing BLL to PC or hitek. That's like apples and oranges, or maybe like apples and orangatans.

Comparing hitek to PC is a good discussion however. And I'm interested to know what exactly hitek is.

Boolit Master

You will never know exactly what Hi Tek is. What we know is that it is a powder compound mixed with acetone and applied in multiple coats and baked-on for each coat. It works well.
    James. C. Henderson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast