Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: a couple of questions about powder coating.

Boolit Bub

a couple of questions about powder coating.

I have a 170 mold for my old 30-30 that drops almost .311 with ww. I usually shoot .309 bullets through this rifle. Will resizing take off the powder coat when I'm putting on the gas check? Should I use some sort of lube during this process?

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Unless your scraping your bullets when sizing it will not remove the coating if it is cured right, As far as the lube it will help try a few if its to hard size before you coat then again after.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Unless your scraping your bullets when sizing it will not remove the coating if it is cured right, As far as the lube it will help try a few if its to hard size before you coat then again after.
    That is correct.

I have sized some .359 bullets down to .356 and it can be hard if the bullets have set for a long time before sizing. I will spray a very light coat of car wax on top of the bullets, roll them around a little and then size tem. It make a huge difference. Very easy and no scraping. I hope this helps.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

Not sure I'm completely understanding. Are you going to PC before you apply your checks? If so, there's about a 99.9% chance your checks will not fit if you're using a push through sizer. If you're​ using the push through sizer the process is to install the check on the first pass, coat, then size again.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys, that pretty much answers my questions. On a side note, I'm looking for a one coat powder for tumble lubing. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Boolit Bub
    If I put the gas check on before powder coating, what do I use as lube that won't mess with the powder coat?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by J257 View Post
    If I put the gas check on before powder coating, what do I use as lube that won't mess with the powder coat?
    You can run them through without lube
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned
    All of smokes powders work (he's a vendor/sponsor on this forum), there are many eastwood, powder by the pound and other brands that also work, mostly higher gloss polyester .