Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does it mean when I start to get partial frosting inside the lube grooves?

Boolit Buddy

What does it mean when I start to get partial frosting inside the lube grooves?

I'm steadily reducing my reject rate. As of now, my biggest source of rejects is boolits with minor frosting inside the lube grooves. I've attached a picture to show what I'm talking about.

What does this indicate? Is my mold borderline too hot?

Photo below. This boolit was made in a Lee .452 diameter 200gr SWC 2 cavity mold. Notice the frosting in the bottom of the lube groove. The frosting doesn't circle the entire boolit, the other side of it is relatively frost free.

The boolit itself is, otherwise, moderately well formed. Not quite good enough for me to shoot it, as it is slightly out of round. The base is .4515 at its narrowest and .4525 to .453 at its widest, so it is somewhat out of round, though not hugely.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Mar 05, 3 51 50 PM.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	189760

Boolit Grand Master

Yes , things are heating up. But light frosting is not terrible , I like to cast right at the frosty temperature, things fill out better . If you are going to tumble lube/coat , the light frosty surface holds the lube better. Frosty bullets shoot just fine. The most important part is the base. You want a perfectly filled out flat base with no holes or divots torn out.
    The new Lee 2 cavity moulds don't have a lot of mass, so getting frosties is hard not to do . Just remember , light frost, even all over the boolit , is not a defect.
    If out of round , just size them...makes them all good.
    Show some more photo's and Keep on Keepin on! Ya lookin good!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    That bullet is plenty good enough to shoot. Size it and shoot it.

Boolit Master
    nope ...has to be perfect.

i'll see that frosting under the lube a 900 feet per second!

and THAT'S what i'll blame the miss on!

Several of my molds won't make good bullets until they come out frosted like a birthday cake. Can't see it under powder coat. They shoot well & I couldn't care less.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm not happy if my bullets AREN'T frosty!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    It means you are looking too closely...

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

"Frost discrimination! This makes you an admitted . . . 'F R O S T I S T' . . . IT AIN'T POLITICALLY CORRECT! . . . .

What's our little family here coming to?"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I prefer frosted bullets. YMMV.

Boolit Buddy
    Once again I have demonstrated my noobishness

I will be less picky about this, and just size them all to correct any slight out of roundness. Thanks again to all for their input.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Frost....Try to wipe it down after cooling If it changes you are good to go!
    Best cast are right at the frost point
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    I'm really going to have to get a PID for my pot, I can see. Hard to keep the temp where I want it with a rheostat.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I have a 20 lb. Lee with a good thermometer Once I achieve liquidus the thermometer goes in the pot then I bring it to 710/20 It will stay there! no need for anything else if you monitor the pot. Been doing it this way for years
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Mold
    Save your rejects in a sperate pile when you get a couple hundred load them up and shoot them and see if it makes a difference. I think your just being too picky

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I also strive for frosted boolits, but sometimes localized frosting like we see in your picture is caused by some impurity it the mould cavity (usually oil). It may be worth checking the mould and doing a thorough cleaning.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Heck, I've been casting for 20+ years and I am still picking stuff up.
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Banned

Just a hot spot. I avoid frost, the more you have the more the boolit will be out of round and the smaller it will be.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    I have a 20 lb. Lee with a good thermometer Once I achieve liquidus the thermometer goes in the pot then I bring it to 710/20 It will stay there! no need for anything else if you monitor the pot. Been doing it this way for years
    What thermometer are you using?

Boolit Master
    They look good to me and i bet they will shoot.

Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Shoot it. Some times warmer temps give better fill out. I TL traditional lube groove pistol boolits with no issues.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast