RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Scrap Yield

Boolit Master

Range Scrap Yield

My visits to my local scrapyard have been non-productive for the past year. I think I got enough to last but you never know.
    I fell into an indoor range that hasn't been cleared in a year. Maybe longer. Last week I shoveled 1280lbs into 5 gal. buckets. After 12 hours of smelting over the past 3 days the yield was 1002lbs.
    Last night I shoveled 1120lbs to smelt for this coming week. I'm gonna send some samples to BNE to see what's in the alloy.
    The drought is busted!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice haul, please post results on alloy when you get it back

Man that's a HAUL! Nice score. Did you have pay them for it?

Boolit Master
    lotta work with a lotta reward.

Boolit Master
    Sweat equity. At the rate I'm going I hope to be done by the end of the summer.

Boolit Master
    Break out the IB

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a lot of lead, but you worked for it. Despite the hard work thats a pretty quick way to get a lot of lead. And it should cast good bullets.

you guys are lucky. I have my eyes open constantle and am always askin around and I just don't seem to get anywhere. by the way, the scrapyard quoted me 5cents per lb for zinc WW's?!?! is that what it is elswhere?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    you guys are lucky. I have my eyes open constantle and am always askin around and I just don't seem to get anywhere. by the way, the scrapyard quoted me 5cents per lb for zinc WW's?!?! is that what it is elswhere?
    Can't say for sure. The last time I was at my regular scrap yard he told me the prices change daily and he would have to make a call for a quote.

Boolit Master
    See if you have some reenactment types in your area that shoot cannons. They're on the lookout for zinc all the time.

Boolit Master
    Finished the second load of range scrap from the indoor range. Ended up with 848lbs of ingots from 1120lbs of scrap.

Cutting the buckets back to 80lbs each sure made life better. From starting each 80lb batch to starting the next took about 45 minutes. Knocked out 6 buckets yesterday afternoon and got some shooting in too. I'm looking forward to picking up the next load tomorrow evening.

I've got some pewter to ingotize before I get a package together for BNE to analyze. Got to get some more 55gal drums. Busy, busy.

Almost a ton so far! Are you cutting open your TMJ/plated bullets?

Boolit Master
    They open themselves when they come to a stop against the steel trap.

Nice!

Keep on shovelin' and meltin', brother.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    The local scrap yard pays .12/lb for zinc/ steel leftovers (and .20 for lead wheel weights). Helps offset the cost of a 5 gallon bucket and offers a proper way to dispose of what I can't use.

Boolit Grand Master

(quote) Cutting the buckets back to 80lbs each sure made life better.

Thats for sure. Back in the day I could carry a 5 gallon bucket of wheelweights, not bullets, in each hand, walk across the shop floor at the tire store and swing the right hand bucket into the back of the truck then grab the left hand bucket and set it in the truck! Thats probably why I can't do it now! Now, when I sort weights I only fill the bucket half full. One should get smarter as they age, right?

Perma-Banned
    Nice haul! I built a little box screen for sifting out bullets in the sand bank i shoot into, works great! I usually always end up with a bunch of extra from others that have shot there, local sand pit where everyone goes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    (quote) Cutting the buckets back to 80lbs each sure made life better.

Thats for sure. Back in the day I could carry a 5 gallon bucket of wheelweights, not bullets, in each hand, walk across the shop floor at the tire store and swing the right hand bucket into the back of the truck then grab the left hand bucket and set it in the truck! Thats probably why I can't do it now! Now, when I sort weights I only fill the bucket half full. One should get smarter as they age, right?
    I'd do the same thing back in the day. Used to lift the feed block over the side of the pickup bed too (tailgate latch was busted). Them days be long gone. I don't know about smarter but definitely wimpier.

Hello Jsizemore,

I will happily test for you, but I bet the results will be 0.5 to 1.5% Sb and the rest Pb. Most of the range scrap is right in the middle of that range. Unless of course a lot of casters are shooting in that indoor range.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Nice score!!
    Our range gets picked pretty often, but I do manage to get a half bucket a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast