Reloading EverythingPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tis the Season

Boolit Buddy

How are you gentlemen field dressing these bee's ?? ,Dad always demanded that if you shoot it you eat it
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Its posts like this that make me ask myself this question again. Why do I live in NYS? We have nothing different here. I have heard of guys making rounds for shooting the wood bees. Sounds like fun. If you find a house with wood bees here you are lucky if you find five.

Boolit Buddy

I live in a log house so killing wood bees is kind of self defense shooting. Really cool and rainy this spring so hunting may be later than usual. As for dressing them , just consider them leftist vermin as they try to destroy my home and lifestyle.

Boolit Master

Just lightly dust for wood dust and sauté in butter. My eyes are not strong enough to allow dressing. Add a little garlic if its to your taste./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKEYE BANDIT View Post
    How are you gentlemen field dressing these bee's ?? ,Dad always demanded that if you shoot it you eat it
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Maybe 500 around my barn entrances every spring. Kind of like shooting doves. They come in singles, pairs and swarms of 5 or 6. Then there's the occasional sitting shot but I was always taught to take flying game on the wing so I flush 'em,/beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Its posts like this that make me ask myself this question again. Why do I live in NYS? We have nothing different here. I have heard of guys making rounds for shooting the wood bees. Sounds like fun. If you find a house with wood bees here you are lucky if you find five.

Boolit Master
    Never heard of wood bees or shooting them. It sounds like fun. I had a buddy back in the day that showed me bat shooting near dark when they were highlighted against the brighter sky. I know, not too cool but it was a challenge.

Boolit Master

Hi. They are pretty common around here and in the rest of the south. Below is a picture and here is a link that 'splains a little more about them. Ed
    Attachment 217522

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Local friend lives south of here in Suburbia, they aren't much of a gun user, his house was being invaded by these or a similar bee; He uses a shop vacuum and turns it on for a few minutes then off for a few, so the bees don't figure out they're being picked on & find an alternate way out. Sort of the neutron bomb approach vs. hunting them I've gone after wasps with 22 rimfires, I'll try this out soon tho

Boolit Master

At my Dad's cabin we used badminton rackets. Go around swinging like looneys all day and keep a kill count.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Mold
    You Eastern folks get a jump on things. Out in the West we have to wait until June/July time frame. But then is all out for Bull Grasshopper season. Great sport taking Bull Grasshoppers on the wing! To add some challange I like to use 22 shot capsules. But 38 shot capsules lets your take the longer range ones.

Boolit Master

Was out yesterday at the barn and saw 3-4 bees. Temps in he 70s. The cold spring seems to be suppressing them this year somewhat. Maybe in a week or so. Saw wood bee traps for sale this week but that's not near as much fun as shooting with a handgun./beagle

Boolit Master
    We've had a lot fewer this year, I've been using an old Daisy 499 to shoot them on the wing, as I haven't had time to load any rice loads... It's a challenge taking them out with a single BB. I miss more than I hit, but when I do hit them, it's rewarding.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Have a set of metal barn doors on mine so BBs are out because of dents. The tumbling media loads are okay at 6 feet and that's about max range for them./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    We've had a lot fewer this year, I've been using an old Daisy 499 to shoot them on the wing, as I haven't had time to load any rice loads... It's a challenge taking them out with a single BB. I miss more than I hit, but when I do hit them, it's rewarding.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Have a set of metal barn doors on mine so BBs are out because of dents. The tumbling media loads are okay at 6 feet and that's about max range for them./beagle
    Yeah, part of the challenge is making sure I've got clear sky behind the bee before I pull the trigger... I don't want broken windows or BB's lodged in the cedar siding!
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Had a good shoot day before yesterday. Shot about 50 rounds before the bees were discouraged. Still comparing grits and tumbling media. I've about decided to try some duplex loads for pattern density and longer range shots. Good swarm out there today but no time to shoot.
    Wife went into a panic this morning when she found a coon in the cat's plastic house on the front porch. Aha! Got an idea. Grabbed the Ruger Blackhawk loaded with bee loads and tipped the top off the house. Coon was grouchy and I put two "bee" loads into his hind end before he remembered how to climb and attained the top of the porch rail. I them commenced to make him jump in a vigorous manner with another load in the posterior from about 3 feet. Last seen about 150 yards heading for the neighbor's place. Good hunting./beagle

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I think you found out how to motivate that one, Beagle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12