RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 44-56WC - .44VHS

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Looks like you are about ready to go critter bashing. That new barrel should work out well.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Greetings
    Looks like you are about ready to go critter bashing. That new barrel should work out well.
    Those Critters only stand about a 50-50 chance now to get this down to 1 inch !!
    boy I'm dreaming on that one !!! lol I think with a little luck and the wind at my back it should do Good!!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Grand Master

Far easier to get-chu a gilly suit and learn to slither a lot.

But with some fine tuning of the load to get those harmonics settled out it looks like that barrel will settle right in.
    Then you can sort through and weigh those cast. Why before to much there will be one nice ragged cloverleaf smiling back at you.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Far easier to get-chu a gilly suit and learn to slither a lot.

But with some fine tuning of the load to get those harmonics settled out it looks like that barrel will settle right in.
    Then you can sort through and weigh those cast. Why before to much there will be one nice ragged cloverleaf smiling back at you.
    More testing taking a closer look at my powder chg. I did the dip & scale on each of my loads this go-around.....way slow but if I can get the
    scope on with the loads ! than I an go back to the dip method !!

I know that the cast bullets very some Butt LoL its only lead LoL ..........that pie still warm?????

Ol Deuce
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 07-30-2017 at 12:57 AM.

It' time to do some more casting for this cannon !!!

Ol Deuce

Time is flying .......Hunting season is just around the corner Damn

Ol Deuce

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    More pie coming up... Finished a good pumpkin off two days ago.
    At worst go with what you have already. You know it wants to group. Set the sights and go run 10 through that tube. I would shoot 5 sets of two shoots. 15 seconds or so between the two shots. Let it cool a good 5 minutes between the doubles. Very similar to hunting corn crunchers and other large critters.
    If you have more time on another day repeat the 10 rounds. This time two shots at 25 yards, 50, 75, 100 and 125. Those are the practical ranges most critters are popped at. Aim dead center bull. Now you know what you can do with those sights set. Confidence in the equipment. Familiarization with the system. No critter has a chance. Or as I am fond of whispering as the slack diminishes "Supper time".
    Mike in Peru

Boolit Grand Master

There is nothing bad about using dippers. Our first dipper loads for accuracy started back in 1982 with a Dan Wesson 357 with a 10 inch barrel. Using 296 and a 180 gr GC that revolver would launch that bullet with dipper loads to less than 4 inches at 200 meters.
    Switched to a DW 41 mag in 83 and dipper loads were less than 3 inches at 200 meters with a 210 grainer. 296 again.
    Once you figure the best "method" for that dipper / powder combination it is fast and very accurate.
    We use dippers down here loading the 44 WCF carbine and 357's revolvers. Up north there we make dippers for most the hunting firearms once we know the best load for whatever cast. Have not heard any corn crunchers argue over the results.
    Mike in Peru

!HMMM......my computer
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 08-16-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Hi Mike

All my guns do well using the dipper method !! only because I know how each one reacts !!! My 34'' shiloh does wonderful with dippers!!
    this WC 44-56 is really training me on how it reacts to different powders and charges ....It seems for now the WW748 responds the best
    even though it's the dirtiest of my powders it still performs and the pressures seem to be low! I'm not getting all beat up shooting it!!!
    after I get through this round ,I'm going to load up 30 to 40 rounds and forget the paper and go the the Iron Targets !! Now that's way more
    Fun!!!!!

Ok Mike Pumpkin Pie is my all time favorite .............topped with Ice Cream or just whipped cream .........WoW .........Randy

Ol Deuce

Guys I did something different to day !!! I sat down and worked up a starting load for this 44-56 using 2400 .....WoW this powder
    seems to like the Big Bore and Long case of the 44-56 I'm really surprised ! I'll do some paper soon Its Fall in Montana and that
    means a cold North West wind most of the time at my spot!!! LoL

Ol Deuce

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Old 2400 has been a good powder for 80+ years in those long straight cases. Does not give the highest velocities but has powered the 50-70 and 45-70 and 40-65 and 38-55 with heavy cast to the tune of railroad cars full of all types of corn crunchers.
    We have been using it all our reloading life and will always have some close at hand. 4198 is another not to overlook.
    Mike in Peru

Good morning
    Old 2400 has been a good powder for 80+ years in those long straight cases. Does not give the highest velocities but has powered the 50-70 and 45-70 and 40-65 and 38-55 with heavy cast to the tune of railroad cars full of all types of corn crunchers.
    We have been using it all our reloading life and will always have some close at hand. 4198 is another not to overlook.
    Mike in Peru
    Hi Mike.............. The 2400 is really smooth!!! Got those 110 .444 cases coming !! that was a good lick. I use 4198 in my 38-55!
    Hows the pie this week???

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning Randy
    Sad to report no pie ! But there is a big batch of fresh made apple sauce with some cinnamon in the reefer.
    Saw those brass also and thought about the 405 JES we enjoy... Passed over them knowing someone who was working the lights out of some unique 44 bored Winchester 94 was in need of some rotary work on a rainy day.
    Mike

Good morning Randy
    Sad to report no pie ! But there is a big batch of fresh made apple sauce with some cinnamon in the reefer.
    Saw those brass also and thought about the 405 JES we enjoy... Passed over them knowing someone who was working the lights out of some unique 44 bored Winchester 94 was in need of some rotary work on a rainy day.
    Mike
    Good Evening Mike !
    They make such a good looking shell ! the 310gr GC will fly swiftly to its target and what a Thumper ........LoL

giving Thanks for the Thanksgiving Holidays.........Pumpkin Pie with all the trimmings ....Love It

Randy.....aka Ol Deuce

This 310grGC is such a Thumper from that 2'' case ! Love it

Ol Deuce

Boolit Grand Master

Yep that does look like a 445 SM that spent some time on a "stretcher". I do like what that will do for the 94's !
    Mike in Peru

Yep that does look like a 445 SM that spent some time on a "stretcher". I do like what that will do for the 94's !
    Mike in Peru
    Hi Mike....We should get some good shooting in these next couple weeks if the weather holds out!! Ol'Man winter is banging on out back door LoL

Randy aka Ol Deuce

Starting to get a handle on count!!! get these done up and the fun can start LoL
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 11-12-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123