MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apartment Advice in NH - Landlord

Boolit Master

Apartment Advice in NH - Landlord

About a week ago I had a maintenance man in my apartment repairing the bathroom tile. I was at work and used my live video camera and to watch when he entered my apartment. I saw him wash his hands and then say "what the hell" when he saw my reloading bench. He came closer and looked my press/bench over and then went back to work. Fast forward to tonight and I received a phone call from my landlord asking me if I was in the commercial business reloading etc. because her brother-in-law saw my reloading equipment in my apartment (I anticipated this though it took a week to manifest). I let her know that everything I was doing was in compliance with New Hampshire laws and was very curt on details as I personally consider it none of her business. She asked me about gun powder etc. to which I was very offended to even being asked and replied again I was in compliance with NH laws. She also stated it was very unusual for people in her apartment to be engaged in reloading....all red flags, and all offensive. I know many will say why weren't you there or why didn't you cover your equipment, but my thoughts were if I am not doing anything wrong/illegal why should I hide my hobby? If I played hockey should I cover my sticks as they could be perceived as a violent weapon?

Rewind to a week ago when I was at work and my girlfriend (Kenyan - Masai) was leaving my apartment and was questioned as to whether she belonged there or not by the same landlord. My GF replied that she lived here in a defense mechanism to which I quickly got a phone call about from my landlord. My landlord accused me of having a second person in my apartment without getting her approval. I quickly told her I feel like I was being ambushed and I did not have a second person living in my apartment which was completely true. I can only imagine leaving an apartment without the actual person living there present and being interrogated and how I would reply. In short, for two and a half years I have been an ideal tenant without a single maintenance call (i do everything myself) or complaint and all bills paid on time. Yet within the last two weeks I have been called up twice for things that don't seem to be any of my landlords business. Seems like southern NH is being overrun by MA idealogy. I could easily find another place but this doesn't sit right with me and I am not one to easily duck and roll when I feel my rights are being infringed. I am a very private person and frankly I am feeling extremly imposed upon at this moment - which pi@$es me off. I do believe tomorrow morning I will type up an email and let my landlord know how I feel in a very 'documented' sense. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance and please forgive as I am a bit perturbed as I type this,
    Kev
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 03-06-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Get out, whats more get out of the area. Find a more gun friendly state.

If you are paying the rent, that space is YOURS. As long as what you are doing is not violating any laws they have no business asking. If they really thought you were in violation they would have called the police on you.

But, you are living in the wrong place. Get out.

You are tarred now, your reputation is shredded. You will not be considered trust worthy.
    People will go out of their way to do you dirty. Get out.

I suspect that if you contacted a good lawyer you have more than enough grounds already for walking away from any lease. You may want to call one, depending on your situation.

Good luck.

In Remembrance
    I would either just hold up, or ask if there was a problem.
    She ask if you were running a commercial reloading business, it seems she is not much worried by your hobby. Many (most residential areas) have laws anymore for commercial businesses, may be what her questions were about.
    Probably any landlord would be curious who was leaveing your apartment during hours you are known to work, think about it, it wasn't too bright for her to answer that she lived there, as most leases have the occupants names on them and most can not be subleased.

Boolit Master
    Yeah you are in New Hampshire...... might as well be in New York, Kalifornistan, or Austin.... Long and short is you are sol. Doesn't matter if what you are doing is legal, not legal, etc. They are going to cause you grief and headaches from now on, and it sounds like they are going to do it in a manner which is legal for them. Yes you can take umbridge and give them legal grief and headaches back, or you can move on. Eventually the escalation on both sides is going to get tiring, and they will find an excuse to get rid of you legally. I would suggest south of the manson-nixon line, but that's just me.

God Bless, and One Love. (and good luck)

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Not to stir the pot or make your situation worse. If he was working on your bathroom where was the reloader? Next to the toilet? I must tell you guys that although i do not know NH law on rentals. She possibly could force him out for the gun powder. Especially if it is a multi unit building. I would make sure you have a place to go. And dont stir the hornets nest till you get your deposit back. That is why i dont rent. When i went thru divorce i fought to keep the house. Landlords think they own the right to pry in your business and tell you what to do. My advice cover your bases first. Then let them know how you feel.
    Peter DiMatteo

Oh and whatever you do dont ask them for a reference. If they have it out for you. i wouldnt put it past them to let the next landlord know what your hobby is.
    Peter DiMatteo

Boolit Buddy
    Renting an apartment is a business transaction and the lease is the contract. I'd take the lease to a good lawyer and get his opinion of the situation.

Every lease or rental agreement I've seen forbids any kind of commercial business and it seems that is what your landlord was asking about.

NH is as gun friendly a state as any you'll find and from the sound of things the LL didn't even mention guns. Running a business and powder storage seems to be the issue. That's reasonable. Don't turn it into something it's not.

btw, I wouldn't let your girlfriend get anywhere near your place for a couple of months.
    "... he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." T.J.

Boolit Master

If you are paying the rent, that space is YOURS. As long as what you are doing is not violating any laws they have no business asking. If they really thought you were in violation they would have called the police on you.

Not exactly........ True, the apartment is your's to use as a living space. It is within the landlords right to ask questions, just like it's within their right to conduct periodic inspections of the premises (24 hour notice unless there is an emergency, e.g. broken water line.) A landlord's, like a Tenant's rights vary from state to state. Speaking to Ohio law, If there is specific prohibitions spelled out in your rental agreement, you are required to adhere to them or face eviction. If there is people living at your address that are not identified on the rental agreement, they are squatters. If you and your girl friend get in a tiff and you move out, she stays in the apartment and she is not on the rental agreement, it become very difficult to evict that person from the building. I have rental properties, I have specific prohibitions identified in my rental agreement, such as illegal drug usage by you or any of your guests. (A guest is anyone visiting for a time period not to exceed two weeks) after that, they leave or they go on the rental agreement. I do not allow dogs in the apartment building but cats are fine. (these are also identified on the lease) Dogs and cats and any other livestock is permitted at any house. So requirements may vary. I would suggest that you read your lease carefully for any specified prohibitions. At last count, I have 38 tenants and I seriously doubt if two of them have read the rental agreement. At least they always seem surprised when I get after them for doing something that is spelled out as unacceptable. If I were to guess what your landlord is thinking,
    It's likely an insurance issue. You would go numb if you knew how much insurance cost for an apartment building. The policy for my apartment building is over 75 pages of do's and don'ts, mostly don'ts. Were I you, I would arrange a sit down meeting with your landlord, have them ask questions, answer them truthfully, put their fears to rest, if they have any. It's quite possible that it may be a lack of understanding on their part. If you show them and explain what your hobby is and what it entails, it will go quite a ways to defuse any potential misunderstandings. On the other hand, if there is a specific prohibition about storage of propellants (insurance) you are just plain out of luck. What may appear as an unreasonable stance by your landlord might be beyond their ability to have a choice in the matter. It isn't worth it to jeopardize your business just so a tenant can do something prohibited by their insurance carrier. Do not become defensive or threaten some sort of legal action unless it's warranted. You want to solve a problem, not create new ones. You mention lawyer to me and I immediately change my perception of how the conversation is headed. Most people don't appreciate being threatened and I'm no different. I know my rights under the law and I'm will to bet your Landlord does as well. It's also good to remember that a lease can be altered when it comes up for renewal, make sure you read it and understand it and also become familiar with your rights as a tenant. You have rights, but so does the Landlord. If you find out that your rights are being impacted negatively, share your concerns with he or she, they may not be aware of it. If you get no cooperation, then it's legal time.
    Good luck
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Well stated ^^^^^^^ probably best to relax a bit before contacting your landlord . You should consider the landlord's concerns , and with a level head be willing to talk to them about your hobbies .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    Rewind to a week ago when I was at work and my girlfriend (Kenyan - Masai) was leaving my apartment and was questioned as to whether she belonged there or not by the same landlord. My GF replied that she lived here in a defense mechanism to which I quickly got a phone call about from my landlord. My landlord accused me of having a second person in my apartment without getting her approval. I quickly told her I feel like I was being ambushed and I did not have a second person living in my apartment which was completely true.
    This reads like she said untruthfully that she lived there, which would excite natural suspicions in anybody. A perfectly innocent explanation, on her part, is that she was asked or told about belonging in the country or the neighbourhood, or just thought she was. I don't think moving to a state friendlier to guns is going to improve on that one.

Not wanting business use, if zoning and property taxes are residential, seems fair enough. Trying to convince her that modern powder is safer than many common solvents, because it doesn't come climbing out of the bottle looking for trouble, is a bit much like getting involved in things that are none of her business. Does the lease actually say only one person can live in the apartment? If they don't expect girlfriends or boyfriends to be there quite a bit of the time, and even have a key, they need to start renting to something other than homo sapiens.

It does make a lot of sense, though, to have lockable rooms if strangers of any kind are to be admitted in your absence. Quite apart from guns and loading, there are always other things you don't want to expose to this sort of person's sense of ethics.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    Yeah you are in New Hampshire...... might as well be in New York, Kalifornistan, or Austin....
    You're joking, right? New Hampshire isn't even close to those states. By most metrics it's the freest state in the nation. The southern part seems to have issues w/ people from Mass moving in. But all states have issues like this.

Boolit Master

Unless you have a large quantity of powder and primers on hand they can pound sand.

I am just guessing since I do not know your contract or the laws of NH.

Boolit Grand Master

Good advice above. Whatever you do go intending to calm and explain, not challenge and defend. If you challenge and defend you trigger their defenses - and thus starts the argument when no one listens to the other. Keep listening and calmly answer her legitimate concerns.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Landlords have rights and responsibilitys also if they didn't ask questions they wouldn't be doing there job to protect the property and other tenants put your self in there shoes and think about it a while

If your friend isn't on the lease she cant live there telling the landlord she does is not a good choice

Throwing a blanket over your bench would have been much smarter than watching the repair man on camera

Boolit Master
    Like most threads asking for legal advice on the internet, this one's all over the map. There have been a couple of pretty good "general, common sense" responses and then the barber shop lawyers jumped in and told you what they'd do and what your rights are....even when they don't live within a thousand miles of you. If you're really concerned about this and don't feel you're doing anything wrong, get a lawyer in your state and ask them. Then you'll KNOW. Free advice is worth exactly what you pay'd for it.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a landlord in Ohio. I can get charged with a zoning violation if you the tenant are running a business out of my house. Your home, my house.

If she isn't on the lease and is living there it can cause trouble. Had a parole notice on the fridge for someone not on my lease at on of my rentals. Her boyfriend was a convict on parole. I called the parole office about my address and he was getting his mail there. I confronted the tenant about this and he moved out. She had to pass a background check to rent. The lease called for a background check on every adult living there.

As as to the Free State remark made earlier, does your state have constitutional carry? NH does.

Super Moderator

My advice...If you plan on staying in your state, look into buying a house. That way you do as you please in your own castle. The money you are paying for rent would most likely cover a monthly mortgage payment.

Sorry for you that you have to rent...but...as far as the fight now over the loading gear...well...you brought that on yourself.

Enjoy the fight...bet you won't try this again.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

In Remembrance

Talk to the landlord but tread lightly or the next visit may be from the police, "sir, someone feels threatened" and they relieve you of all your "scary items".

Boolit Master
    Pretty simple, if you dont like the landlord rules then move to a different place.
    East Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast