PBcastcoReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Lube on commercial swaged bullets

Boolit Master

Lube on commercial swaged bullets

Im wondering if anybody knows the lube the factories use on there swaged bullets, hornady 357 hbwc for example.

I would love to find something that dries hard and isnt a mess to work with.

Boolit Bub
    Following

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a dry powder lube. At least on my Hornady HBWC. I have heard that wax based bicycle chain lube has been used but have no experience. Goes on wet and dries to a film.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I'll drop this name, but it's from memory and all the usual caveats apply. Slickote ????

Boolit Grand Master

You might want to check out Ben's Tumble Lube Liquid Lube. The stuff the factories use seems to be some sort of wax based stuff and I have no idea of the formula.
    Ben's T/L is a sticky in this section but the formula has been modified. Could be what you're looking for.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    It is a dry powder lube. At least on my Hornady HBWC. I have heard that wax based bicycle chain lube has been used but have no experience. Goes on wet and dries to a film.

Shiloh
    This sounds like the long disappeared "Rooster Jacket"... never knew there was a similar product available... must check out the cycling store....
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    You might want to check out Ben's Tumble Lube Liquid Lube. The stuff the factories use seems to be some sort of wax based stuff and I have no idea of the formula.
    Ben's T/L is a sticky in this section but the formula has been modified. Could be what you're looking for.
    Gary
    The ONLY problem with BLL is finding the correct floor wax. I've got the Lundmark replacement wax and have not yet been able to mix up a batch that dries hard and isn't sticky. I've tried three different "mineral spirits" solvents. Tried varying the amounts of Xlox, solvent and wax.

The best I can do is one that takes about a week to dry to a tacky state and gums up my NOE sizing die like there's no tomorrow.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master

White label makes commercial lubes that will fit your needs. They're not needed w/ HBWCs.

Boolit Master

So i thought I would share this since im back on this project but after looking at corbins dip lube msds i decided to play around a bit. I took a pint jar and filled 3/4 full with naphtha and a 1/4 pound block of parifin wax. After a few days the wax had not broke down at all and I moved on. Well last week i was out cleaning some brass and noticed that the wax was fully dissolved, im guessing the cold temps at the time was an issue but after warming up it looks promising.

I took a few nails and heated them up a bit, dipped and got a nice thin coat on them. Might take a cew coats but would be easy. Corbins instructions say to heat the bullets up then dunk. Looks like the naphtha just flashes off leaving the wax.

Use normal alox and then dust them with motor mica. The last box of Hornady's I bought was in the 90's and it looked like they used some sort of beeswax lube then what looks like mica to me. I've been using alox tumble lube, then dusting them with mica since then for bulk plinking bullets. No leading issues with the 9mm, 357, 44mag and 45acp I've cast and lubed like that. As a bonus, if you cast a coffee can of them and leave them in a hot pole barn for say 7-8 years until you get around to loading them they won't be stuck together.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    The ONLY problem with BLL is finding the correct floor wax. I've got the Lundmark replacement wax and have not yet been able to mix up a batch that dries hard and isn't sticky. I've tried three different "mineral spirits" solvents. Tried varying the amounts of Xlox, solvent and wax.

The best I can do is one that takes about a week to dry to a tacky state and gums up my NOE sizing die like there's no tomorrow.
    Try using naphtha instead of mineral spirits. Also, remember that when tumble lubing, a little goes a long way! The TL'd boolit should appear to have a VERY light "wash" of lube on it. When done properly they dry overnight.
    Last edited by centershot; 04-11-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    The stuff on the swaged bullets it probably Mica. I got a jar from Midway for some strange reason but it is a real fine powder and I have used it to coat bullets
    with real sticky lube. A little goes a long way. I have used those HBWC and it feels like the same stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post

Bummer ! Just as soon as you find a good product, use it , start to like it........they stop making it ! Happens every time. Now you don't like something....it stays around forever !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170509_204928.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	195193

Here is the final product the tests look good to me.

Boolit Mold
    Now I'am interested. Those boolits look fantastic.