RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: TC breech plug issue

Boolit Master

TC breech plug issue

In a muzzle loading only site there is a thread stating that tc breech plugs are not tight up against the barrel so there is a gap and that this is a dangerous issue.

So far only one person has come forward with a real issue and it dealt with early TC's and my question is if this is real where are the law suits, failed Tc's muzzle loaders, warnings, etc.

So my question is just how real is this issue and should you not be shooting your TC's because of this issue
    thanks for your thoughts
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

In Remembrance
    Literally thousands of TC's were sold and used and are still in use. I have never heard of them having a problem.
    I do seem to remember another brand some years back coming apart under full loads pretty quick when new, iirc it was traditions, but It may have been a different company all together.

Perma-Banned
    I have owned dozens if not a hundred or more T/C's and every one of them exploded and the explosions propelled a soft lead projectile out the end of the barrel at a high rate of speed & quite a bit of force.

but seriously, other than an occasional patch hangin' up I have never had a problem with any T/C gun. I've followed that post on the muzzleloadin' forum and as you noticed no proof or verification whatsoever has been offered of any problems with the so-called "T/C breechplug gap". just the anti-T/C rants of one person. for years I've heard these rants about T/C's and also about what pipe-bombs CVA guns were and how many of either one of those have you ever seen blown up?

Arrow

What bubba.50said! Besides, if there were such a dangerous problem, don't you think we'd have heard about it?

Boolit Master

bubba 50
    I am the stinker pushing for more proof and as you have noticed nothing. I really a pain when someone kicks up something like this as I like TC's black powder firearms and so I bug
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    In a muzzle loading only site there is a thread stating that tc breech plugs are not tight up against the barrel so there is a gap and that this is a dangerous issue.

So far only one person has come forward with a real issue and it dealt with early TC's and my question is if this is real where are the law suits, failed Tc's muzzle loaders, warnings, etc.

So my question is just how real is this issue and should you not be shooting your TC's because of this issue
    thanks for your thoughts
    Give us the webpage to that thread.

Boolit Grand Master

The issues talked about were long ago when the replica MLs were still fairly new and quality was not as good then.
    Aim small, miss small!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn View Post
    Give us the webpage to that thread.

The Muzzleloading Forum at

www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    The issues talked about were long ago when the replica MLs were still fairly new and quality was not as good then.

my current T/C Hawken is a first-year production gun made in 1970 & it's just as fine as any I've owned.

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	189924The main issue isn't that they won't hold pressure, that is a holdover from Buckskin Report in the early 70's. The main issue is that the gap is a place to trap powder fouling and moisture. I have taken many of these apart and the whole gap is a packed ring of fouling cement. In a quality muzzleloader there is NO gap but the fitting required is why a custom gun is 3 times the price of a T/C. I too have a T/C and enjoy it...sort of. (See picture below) Mine is restocked but before I did that I did what I do to very TC that comes into the shop for repair, I turn a washer the right size to fill the gap and fit and ream it with the breech plug to dead smooth polished and with NO gap. It does cost a few bucks but plug so done and properly polished will still be shiny years later with proper leaning and there will be no starting hang fires and mis fires and no gap. Needed a lighter rifle while learning to shoot lefty so I took a T/C and did this, Lock tuned and polished , set triggers tuned and hardened, re stocked, barrel re breeched as above.

Almost made a Hawken out of it!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	189924The main issue isn't that they won't hold pressure, that is a holdover from Buckskin Report in the early 70's. The main issue is that the gap is a place to trap powder fouling and moisture. I have taken many of these apart and the whole gap is a packed ring of fouling cement. In a quality muzzleloader there is NO gap but the fitting required is why a custom gun is 3 times the price of a T/C. I too have a T/C and enjoy it...sort of. (See picture below) Mine is restocked but before I did that I did what I do to very TC that comes into the shop for repair, I turn a washer the right size to fill the gap and fit and ream it with the breech plug to dead smooth polished and with NO gap. It does cost a few bucks but plug so done and properly polished will still be shiny years later with proper leaning and there will be no starting hang fires and mis fires and no gap. Needed a lighter rifle while learning to shoot lefty so I took a T/C and did this, Lock tuned and polished , set triggers tuned and hardened, re stocked, barrel re breeched as above.

Almost made a Hawken out of it!
    I have no dog in this race, but I wanted to say that you have a beautiful rifle there.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    my current T/C Hawken is a first-year production gun made in 1970 & it's just as fine as any I've owned.
    Are you sure it hasn't kilt you yet? lol

Boolit Master

I have a T/C Firestorm and breech plug can be screwed in or out with my fingers.
    When it was new I used Teflon tape to seal it and check to see if there was blowby on the threads.
    Over time I reduced the amount and width of the Teflon tape without no adverse affect.
    Conclusion; I screw it in finger tight, there is no problem with a loose breach plug.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I am one that fell into the trap by someone that did nothing the complain about t-c guns. personally I did not like them. I felt tc missed the boat. the comb of the stock was too tall so they put those high sights on them. they were made to use a scope. then later they raised the comb a little more. the plus is they were a good solid American made rifle. although I do not like them if that was all I had I could use it to eat and live with. the sad part was with a little tweaking they would have been a fine made rifle. but then the been counters could never designee a rifle or anything else.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Are you sure it hasn't kilt you yet? lol

LOL! it "explodes" every time I pull the trigger but, no, it ain't "kilt" me yet.