Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1999 Buick lasabre

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Whats amazing is that most everything is now available on the net, in one form or another.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Sir, usually those incapable of doing anything are the ones offended by those that can. Really don't care what you think. You have contributed absolutely nothing to this thread other than stirring the pot. My problem with those thinking they can fix whatever is generally they flock things up good then others that are qualified repair what these so called fix its have tried to fix. I run into this every single day in the industry I work in. I've had my fill of the so called musicians and wanabe sound operators going into DSP programing trying to make changes by their "tuned Ear" the result is generally an unworkable system. This is why I have hundreds of files saved on either CD's or memory sticks of as built files. In the auto industry I've seen so much butchery by these back yard mechanics that I have zero respect and nothing but contempt for them. My company provided service van has been abused by Goodyear monkey mechanics in the past only to have my brakes that they just worked on go out within 300 miles of them working on it. The result was no brakes and me almost hitting a semi. I managed to get it home and spend my time re-doing what they had done. I didn't enjoy working on my van in 20 degree weather in my driveway because the van is too tall with the ladder racks on it to fit in my garage with 9' doors. So it is my contention that repairs need to be made by qualified people not just some moron that can put together a John Deere transmission that has pronounced himself a mechanic just because he got lucky.
    Why does the administration keep you here? Comic relief?

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Whats amazing is that most everything is now available on the net, in one form or another.
    Indeed.
    Im still waiting for an answer on the Envoy brakes locking up after 100 miles, two GM dealerships couldn't figure it out, I guess the "Tech II Scanner" couldn't find a code as none were thrown?

In Remembrance
    Who would of thunk a car being out of gas could cause such a whizzing contest. lol

A dealership shop is like anywhere else, only as good as their help, which can and does go either way.
    Here the problem is the wait. The dodge dealer has had my sons pickup three weeks with no end in sight, they did get them a rental this week, but says they will only cover it for 2 weeks. The mechanic is not the problem.
    He did his own headgasket on his cummins even when warranty would cover it, but they told him it would be at least 3 months out.
    My boss just traded his new chevy off because of an injector problem, because they informed him it would be up to three months before they would even pull it in for diagnosis.

Banned

don't know about ase certifications but have been around the electrical industry all my life as a lineman. I knew and worked along side of hundreds of journeyman outside and inside electricians and never met a single one that didn't know what he was doing. I met some that were lazy but then youll find that in any field. But by the time you go through an apprenticeship and pass a journeyman's test you are far from barely able to change a lightbulb. I know intelligent men who flunked that test.

So unless you have a ase paper on the wall or a have a journeymans certificate in electrical work or a journeyman machinists card you are sure no one to judge those who do. to say theres back yard mechanics that are as good or better then 99 percent of certified mechanics is just pure bs. Yes theres back yard mechanics that can build you a small block chev. Or rebuild a holley carb as good or better then a certified mechanic but where do you figure those back yard mechanics picked up all the knowledge needed to work on and tune and trouble shoot these new computer controlled cars or that are able to use or can even afford the high dollar diagnosing equiptment that is about mandatory to do it. Might find a few that have a code checker and multi meter like I do but no one in a thousand backyard mechanics has more then that. you might find some with a timing light and oscilloscope but there about as useful as an owners manual for the wright brothers air plane working on a computer controlled car.

theres a good reason that ANY auto repair shop that's owned anyone that's name isn't bubba has a ase certification hanging in plain sight. Bottom line is if my mechanic didn't hire qualified (certified) guys id find a different mechanic., Just like if my doctor was self taught in the back yard by his daddy and uncle id look very quickly for a different doctor. By the way what do you do for a living. Can anyone hop right in there and do your job as well as you can????
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Having a piece of paper means NOTHING! I know a lot of GM mechanics that are ASE certified that can barely do a oil change. I know a bunch of journeyman electricians that I would not let change a light bulb. I know some machinist that I would not let them near a lathe. You know why? They are idiots. A piece of paper means that they met the Minimum requirements.

Same as Doctors. Do you want the person that had a D- GPA or the person that had a A GPA? They are both certified as you say are the best because they have a piece of paper.

There are a lot of backyard mechanics out there that are just as good or better than 99% of the GM certified mechanics.

Banned

Aint that the truth. Anyone can come here and pretend he has the answer. Even if he thinks boost is a chocolate drink you consume to get your vitamins!!!! Or cam is the name of a football player. That's one thing you sure have right. The internet allows for some premium BS! Maybe do a bit of research on who you guys are bashing. Ive known 6b6ga for quite a few years. He and I got to know each other because we share a love of cars and racing. Hes has shown me some of his work and his supercharged Camaro that runs 9s. He has forgot more about cars then most of you know. Funny thing is he didn't even try to tell you he knew more then you. All he said was his son was qualified and certified. One thing you can bet your house on is that he is discussing a diagnostic tool he knows what it is. He didn't look it up on the internet and try to bs you. If you knew him like I did youd know how far off base you are and maybe if you really were as intelligent as some of you think you are youd be intelligent enough to sit back shut up and pay attention. You might acutally learns something that isn't bs off the internet

What I'm saying is that one can now buy programs that tell you how to fix most anything on said vehicle. The shop that my vehicles go to for service has this and yes they are ASA Certified, never said or claimed I was. I'M certified to change my own oil and filter, that's it. But I sure don't brag about it or how great my kids are doing or how much they have invested in whatever!

And my main word when referring to myself is not "I"!

Yes most everything is available on the net, just got to know where to look, I don't!

Plus I'v been the route of spending a hundred bucks for a scan at the stealership to fix a $10 dollar part.

Never again!

Banned

problem is most are like you and changing the oil is about the limit of what they can do. Seen many of men and women that could have the best instructions in the world in front of them and still couldn't do the job. Bottom line is experience means a lot more then an instruction book. Its why as a lineman I can climb a mean pole and fix your power in the middle of the worse storm but crack open the back of a tv set and watch me sweat. Or sit me at a desk with a computer and a pile of paper work and ill about puke. Put me in the operatating room of a hospital with a heart transplant and the best instruction manual in the world and it doesn't make you a doctor!. Just like owning every cop of chilton manual that was ever made sure doesn't make you a mechanic.

I half a## know a few things about working on computer controlled vehicles and my buddy who owns a shop that does a lot of (over my head) work laughs at me and says that if id just bring them to him first id save money in the long run. Not Lloyd! Hes to smart for that!! Hes got a code checker, a multi meter and a book that tells what codes are caused by what. Now when I get a check engine light I get my old code checker out and its says its code ___ It gives you about 6 things that can cause that code. Maybe 4 or 5 different sensors. Now if you don't have a service manual you start out by not even knowing where 2 or 3 are. If you find them you have to know how to test resistance and voltage across each sensor and know what the proper reading is for them. (again if you don't have a sevice manual your screwed.

Now your other choise is to start replacing the 6 things and hope you get lucky. Or post on a cast bullet fourm and get 12 different answers on what to replace or check (again not having a clue where or what they are) So again you just swinging in the dark. So each sensor costs between 50 and a 100 bucks (typical) some more very few less. How lucky do you have to be before you would have been smarter just to have someone that actually knows what there doing check it.
    I know I do it more then I should. Yes I learn but they can be expensive lessons. You might win and come out ahead once or twice but id bet in the long run if you operate like that your going to end up loosing money. Its the exact same reason someone building a house doesn't run out and buy a pile of 14 2 wire and start stringing it when they've never even heard of 14 2 before they went to menards. Its why theres an electrical inspector. Maybe there should be a mechanical inspector for after some school teacher tears his brakes apart because he has a check brake alarm and gets it all back together and has maybe just two left over parts and heads out of the same road your wife is bringing the kids home on!

So if your one of those 1 percent who knows it all and can do it all then you have the right to criticize those who do it for a living. But truth be told theres VERY FEW knowledgeable mechanics here and if your not you sure shouldn't be climbing down the throat of someone else that is here just trying to help. Because his opinion is worth about the same as yours and mine is and that's very little. Now ask about bullet casting here and you might actually get a good honest answer. Cam sensor or what the difference is between a map sensor and a mafs is and you might get one that knows and 20 that look it up and pretend they know
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-13-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Lloyd, your not getting it yet.

No where did I claim to know how to fix anything!

I like a couple of others called out the bragging about how great he and his boy are.

As one said, he sits on a pretty high horse!

Where I excelled was sitting behind a desk managing others.

Others did well doing the work.

Both are needed to accomplish the goals at hand.

I don't have a journeymans card so I guess my thirteen years in machine shops is null and void.
    I don't have ASE certification, so I guess I shouldn't be able to work on cars.
    I don't have an electricians cert so I shouldn't have replaced that outlet last week.
    I don't have hydraulic certs so I shouldn't work on hydrostatic pumps.
    My whole life has been a waste because I don't have pieces of paper lying about, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    I don't have a journeymans card so I guess my thirteen years in machine shops is null and void.
    I don't have an electricians cert so I shouldn't have replaced that outlet last week.
    My whole life has been a waste because I don't have pieces of paper lying about, good to know.
    sawinredneck, AKA, the born loser! LOL

Banned

no its not a waste but you sure not going to convince me your any better at any of those jobs then someone that has a journeymans card or is certified. I have to wonder why youd even work as a machinist for 13 years and not pursue a journeymans ticked in case you ever had to move or get another job? Unless it was some small mom and pop machine shop. Not many big shops that have the best technology in tools that don't have an apprentice program. You may be a decent machinist with 13 years of experience but if you claim on to of that your as knowledgeable working on cars as a ase ceritified tech as good with wiring as a journeyman electrician I think your just pretty proud of yourself. Much more so then 6a6bga ever bragged on his son. Suppose you can climb a pole and hot stick 69kv voltage too. Probably do heart surgery when you come down.
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post

Banned

I just don't see where the big problem is here with someone bragging on his son. Id bet you brag on your kids all the time. Unfortunately my only son is learning disabled. I'm very proud of how hard he trys in life and what he has to overcome. Bottom line is if he was a certified mechanic, a soldier, a carpenter, a machinist you would tire of hearing me brag on him. When the day comes on here that theres a rule against a guy coming here and bragging on his kids, and I don't care how blatantly he does it, will be the day I leave. IF he wants to brag and is proud of his son I sure am never going to criticize that. Bottom line is you and anyone else trying to tell him he shouldnt is bs. The only ones that will tell him he cant are the moderators. I'm sure if he got out of hand or off topic to far he would have gotten a pm. Sitting on a high horse proud of your kids???? they call that being a father!!
    Lloyd, your not getting it yet.

No where did I claim to know how to fix anything!

I like a couple of others called out the bragging about how great he and his boy are.

As one said, he sits on a pretty high horse!

Where I excelled was sitting behind a desk managing others.

Others did well doing the work.

Both are needed to accomplish the goals at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I just don't see where the big problem is here with someone bragging on his son. Id bet you brag on your kids all the time.
    Sorry Lloyd, no I don't, they stand on their own merits!

Unfortunately my only son is learning disabled.
    Sorry to hear that.

Regarding "Pride" & "Bragging", take a look at the 8 Beatitudes from The Sermon on The Mount.

Thank goodness the OP was able to find the fix without plugging into a scanner for $100 to $300 bucks.

no its not a waste but you sure not going to convince me your any better at any of those jobs then someone that has a journeymans card or is certified. I have to wonder why youd even work as a machinist for 13 years and not pursue a journeymans ticked in case you ever had to move or get another job? Unless it was some small mom and pop machine shop. Not many big shops that have the best technology in tools that don't have an apprentice program. You may be a decent machinist with 13 years of experience but if you claim on to of that your as knowledgeable working on cars as a ase ceritified tech as good with wiring as a journeyman electrician I think your just pretty proud of yourself. Much more so then 6a6bga ever bragged on his son. Suppose you can climb a pole and hot stick 69kv voltage too. Probably do heart surgery when you come down.
    I quizzed out honestly, on a score of nine I got a seven first try, that was going into a mold shop, building plastic injection and blow molds, a job you don't retire from, I'll let you do the research on that.
    Ive worked in mold shops, built custom automated machines, tool builder and run 3-5 axis mills as well as 2-12 axis lathes with live tooling, even built some experimental bullets for Sirroco, first, and only time, I've dealt with a precision measurement by weight. Held a .1875 +-.0002" tollerence on a brass rotor for the fake horizon in an aircraft instrument, had lots shipped back just because of temperature changes!
    Ive worked with a lot of the "Journeymen machinist" back in the late '90's, in fact the instructor was doing all he could to get me to come teach for him, but he couldn't make it worth my time, pm me, I'll give you his and my information for validation. But most of them couldn't machine there way out of a paper bag! I had to go train one on a six spindle three axis one time. "I've never run the damn thing, how am I supposed to train him?" "Ahh, you know the controller, you'll figure it out" That's what I was told!
    As for the ASE, I mentioned I have two very good friends that are master techs and do know their stuff, again, pm me and I'll supply their information to validate me, but even they call me occasionally for help with a project. It happens, use your resources! I certainly call them often enough!
    Had a 2010 Silverado, just kicked my butt all over for three months! Changed the plugs, customer didn't have the money for wires, chased a random misfire, I got fed up and bought plug wires on my dime to help him out. Still didn't fix it! Finally got the truck to sit still and I started pulling plugs. Only thing we can figure is the plug got dropped in shipping, but the entire electrode was gone? New plugs, why check, seriously, but it sure bit me!
    Ive done a lot, I've learned a lot. I graduated hating computers and math, then walked right into a machine shop to deal with computers and math! I've had trigonometry beat into my head in short order! Figure out a circular bolt pattern on a Bridgeport without it!
    Anyway, I'll gladly provide references to anything you care to question.

I just don't see where the big problem is here with someone bragging on his son. Id bet you brag on your kids all the time. Unfortunately my only son is learning disabled. I'm very proud of how hard he trys in life and what he has to overcome. Bottom line is if he was a certified mechanic, a soldier, a carpenter, a machinist you would tire of hearing me brag on him. When the day comes on here that theres a rule against a guy coming here and bragging on his kids, and I don't care how blatantly he does it, will be the day I leave. IF he wants to brag and is proud of his son I sure am never going to criticize that. Bottom line is you and anyone else trying to tell him he shouldnt is bs. The only ones that will tell him he cant are the moderators. I'm sure if he got out of hand or off topic to far he would have gotten a pm. Sitting on a high horse proud of your kids???? they call that being a father!!
    I'm sorry, and proud of you, on your son.
    It wasn't about the son, it was about saying people without a certificate shouldn't do certain things because we supposedly aren't smart enough.
    Im in the middle of setting up a *** (Point of sale, get your heads out of the gutter!) system for a bar, I haven't a clue what I'm doing! But with my wife's help, accounting major with an MBA, and some phone calls, I'm getting it sorted out.
    What ever happened to that can do spirit? Do we all just have to lay down and die waiting for someone with the supposed knowledge to come rescue us? Sorry, I'm not that guy.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast