RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to grip a single action revolver for best accuracy?

Vendor Sponsor

It comes down to this simple act.. You hold the gun UNLOADED and dry fire it, the objective is to dry fire the gun and the sights remain motionless. When you can dry fire it and the front sight stays right where it belongs throughout the long hammer fall, then the shot, had it been live fire, would have went directly to point of aim. If you cannot hold the sights still in dry fire, swap in a Wolff 30oz. trigger spring and try again, pull one leg off the spring and try again. You will notice that the reduced trigger return spring will let you hold the sights really still in dry fire. Once you have this down, remember your trigger finger pull, then in live fire do the same thing.

There really is no absolute right and absolute wrong in shooting a SA revolver. It's doing it the same way EVERY TIME that makes the 10 ring. Holding the sights still in dry fire is MANDATORY, once you can do this you can master the SA revolver, and not until then.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I practice at 25 yards with Colt's SAA's regularly. My targets are 8 1/2" x 11" paper with a playing card sized bullseye. These are run off a copy machine and 3 hole punched. I keep these targets in 3 ring binders with load notes written on them. Each of my Colt's SAA's has a tab with its serial number. I've compiled three (3), three inch, 3 ring binders of targets. I've tried various bullets, powders, guns etc. After 30 some years and a dozen different Colt's my opinion is practice is what's most important.

I don't waste much time bench rest shooting. Being an honest two hand shooter. I don't use a rest. It's important to me to try not let seven days go between range sessions. Personally I do much better on days with a lot of light than during poor lighting conditions. Just getting out to the range and practicing is what's important.

Boolit Bub
    Silver Jack, I bet having that extensive of records for each particular gun and various loads you can really see trends in all kinds of conditions. I envy the time and effort you put into that.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Boolit Master
    The more time I spend at the range the more accurate my guns are. I can't get my Colt's SAA's in .45 Colt to group beyond 25 yards as well as I can my Colt's SAA .44 Specials or my .38-40 or .357. The sun shining over my shoulder on the target is a great improvement.

Faster burning powders like Bullseye and Red Dot are better for bullseye 25 yard and in accuracy. Heavier bullets are more accurate in the 3rd generation rifling. Rugers are much easier to hit well with at 100 yards and beyond.

I've had a new cylinder cut for a .44 Special Colt's. Factory cylinders run oversized, about .434" my new cut cylinder was .430-.431", it didn't improve accuracy one bit. Keith bullets and RN bulllets are both accurate in the .44 Special out to 100 yards and beyond.

Accurate .45 Colt loads at 25 yards do not guarantee anything at 100 yards. I've got a new .45 barrel being re-bored for a SAA, my bet is it won't be any improvement in long range accuracy.

I've bought 36 revolvers in 43 years, about a dozen of them Colt's SAA's.

Even my Colt's 1911 with a stainless steel barrel and J-word bullets is more accurate than I can get my .45 SAA's to shoot with lead at 100 yards.

Currently on hand are Unique, American Select, Green Dot, Swiss 1 1/2, Goex FFFg, Trail Boss, VV 3N37, AA#5, Triple7, 2400, 700x, Power Pistol, Red Dot.

Hard cast alloy provides better accuracy in 3rd generation rifling.

Sorry if this post sounds curt, my first detailed response was lost when I was timed out.

Boolit Master
    Forgot to add that the Colt's are not fragile, I push them hard and try to break them and they don't break. I have spare parts and even at matches where I can give somebody a part to replace their Colt's part that has broken I've never had to. The Colts do not break.

Banned

Wait until you get into .475 and .500 territory and let a gun "roll." It is not pretty. My friends can attest to that. I thought they knew but had to alter training for even those with experience.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I got my first revolver last year. This is what I found on how to grip it. Jerry has gripped a few, I figure he would have good advise.
    http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/.../miculek2.html
    He is 100% correct with the DA. But hold a hog leg high and the gun will slide and you might hit the hammer with the web of your thumb. You hold a semi high and a DA.
    Either case the gun should not move in your hand.

I have found a SA more difficult to shoot with accuracy than a DA revolver. I said more difficult, I did not say impossible.

Like others, I curl the little finger under the grip to keep the frame from resting on the trigger finger. I keep the trigger finger well away from the frame and pull with the pad of first digit of the trigger finger.

If shooting with two hands, I put the weak hand where it feels best.

I can shoot the SA quite well like this.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have found a SA more difficult to shoot with accuracy than a DA revolver. I said more difficult, I did not say impossible.
    I agree...

I think the SA is the most difficult grip frame to shoot well...simply because a slight variance in your hold will change the point of impact more than with any other type grip frame.

BUT...when you are in your groove...they are SWEET, especially with that SAA grip frame.

Banned

A lot a pecuilar advice in this thread. Do what experts like Long Hunter does. Why speculate or pass along bad advice.

Long Hunter, World Champion Single Action Shooter, on how to grip a single action revolver:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dtPnRRxuOuc

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    A lot a pecuilar advice in this thread. Do what experts like Long Hunter does. Why speculate or pass along bad advice.

Long Hunter, World Champion Single Action Shooter, on how to grip a single action revolver:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dtPnRRxuOuc
    Yeah, he even said there were three ways to grip the gun...then he gave his preferred method. Differences in hand shape and size will determine which of those three methods will work best for each individual.

Banned

I hold with thumb out to side, second method he demonstrates. Long Hunter has big hands so that may be why uses the thumb as recoil support. I use "gun fighter" grips which are slimmer and fit my hand better.

Perma-Banned

I hold with thumb out to side, second method he demonstrates. Long Hunter has big hands so that may be why uses the thumb as recoil support. I use "gun fighter" grips which are slimmer and fit my hand better.
    I do the same as you and I like the gunfighter grips, also, as they fit my hand better, too.

That slim grip is the reason that I have such great affection for the SAA grip...just feels so good in my hand.

Boolit Buddy
    Good info - I'm still listening.

The grandparents use to tell us kids that there are many ways to skin a cat. There is no one, official approved, ultimate or only way to grip and shoot a SAA revolver. People come in many different size, shapes and types. Each of us who shoot SAA revolvers eventual come up with a way that works for us. What you get on this thread are the various ways to skin the same cat.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

Well, you can listen to , World Championship single action revolver shooters.
    Take your pick
    Last edited by Preacher Jim; 03-15-2017 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Not in the spirit of the forum

Banned
    I hold with thumb out to side, second method he demonstrates. .
    i hold my thumb out to the offside too. i'm going to try the thumb as a pointer, it seems more stable(dry firing). my super blackhack isn't a bisley, my thumb is too small, so i can't place it on the recoil shield, although i can put my thumb on the back grip frame screw. i'll try a few of my 44sp loads of "thumb can be pointer", maybe i can shoot much better.

Banned

He does make a good case for pointing the thumb. It makes sense

Perma-Banned

He does make a good case for pointing the thumb. It makes sense
    I just went out and tried it...it doesn't work for me.

Boolit Master
    The video of Long Hunter addresses shooting up close and fast. The OP opened a discussion about rabbit sized targets at 25 yards distance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast