Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How to grip a single action revolver for best accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    the answer is a NO!!! and it goes with OUCHH!!!!!MY THUMB!!!!!

i have done the thumb outside dry firing, and it wasn't too bad. it actually did what thumb could do, it could point to the target while maintaining accuracy. so i loaded up 280gr wfn and 8gr of unique in 44 mag and i went outside. i have a couple of split up logs that are about 15 yards away, so i decided that instead of a target, i could shoot a piece of wood. so my revolver goes out, is cocked, thumb points to the target, the front sight settles down and bang! OUCH!!!!MY THUMB!!!! i looked at my thumb, there was nothing wrong with it, so i decided i must have done something wrong, so i decided to try again. revolver goes out, is cocked, thumb points to the target, front sight settles down and bang! OUCH!!!!!MY THUMB!!!!!! i look at my thumb again and i see that i have cracked my thumbnail. i decide that the thumb should not point to the target, it should go outside( like i used to do!!!).
    i have tried using my thumb to point and i have found it to be unnecessary and it hurts!!!!!

The thumb should be place lightly, without exerting pressure on the frame, below the recoil shield of the frame. Place it on or behind the recoil shield and you are likely to get a split thumb nail on a revolver with any significant recoil. Don't ask me how I know this.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Groo here
    First "what ever works".
    Take your hammer and smack the table a few times.. use the same grip and place the little finger UNDER grips [rap or bent]
    If you want it to hit the same place one or two handed,, grip with the shooting hand and "cup" with the off hand to make sure the gun kicks the same way.
    Up close and fast grab with two hands tight.
    The shooting hand does most of the gripping ,the off hand is for support.
    On heavy kickers the gun may jump out of the offhand but in all cases the gun should not move in the shooting hand.[ the wrist will as will the elbo]
    On the hardest kickers [starting with .454mag] just hang on!!!!!!!!
    They will do the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234