Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember the Alamo

Remember the Alamo

March 6, 1836
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

Thanks for the memory jog. We are planning a trip later on this year there to pay tribute to the memory of the brave who so gallantly fought and died there. Thank you sir.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Born and grew up in Texas. Always found it strange the number of Non-Texans who use the phrase "Remember the Alamo", yet often have no idea what the Alamo was about. Some even think it was somehow involved with the US/Mexican war. Seems all they remember is that everyone died (Except Lewis Moses Rose who chose to leave the besieged Alamo).

As a Good Son of Texas; my wife (a Yankee from Queens N.Y) and I took my Dad and Mother to visit the Alamo many years ago. I may have lived more than 2/3 of my life outside of the State, but I remember the stories of GrandParents, Great GrandParents, Great Aunts/Uncles and the Texas History Classes of my Youth.

Yes I REMEMBER THE ALAMO; and all that it means, a meaning that those who cite the phrase without knowledge will never comprehend.

Now, let us also not forget the 21st of April, 1836. San Jacinto Day - The Birth of the Republic of Texas.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

I happen to be in San Antonio this week. Looks like I will head down there today.

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Thanks for the memory jog. We are planning a trip later on this year there to pay tribute to the memory of the brave who so gallantly fought and died there. Thank you sir.
    And please include Goliad and San Jacinto. "Remember Goliad!" was part of the cry as well.
    San Antonio is never a wasted trip. Eat well my friends.
    Best, Thomas.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Travis's letter ;

The Travis Letter
    Commandancy of the The Alamo
    Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836
    To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World—
    Fellow Citizens & compatriots—
    I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna — I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man — The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken — I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls — I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch — The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country — Victory or Death.
    William Barrett Travis.
    Lt. Col. comdt.
    P. S. The Lord is on our side — When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn — We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.
    Travis
    No turning back , No turning back !

The slain were piled up and burned in mass by Santa Anna's order . The Texans were outraged .

Boolit Master

+The series 'Texas Rising' is an outstanding depiction of the period - costumes and equipment are period-correct (flint-lock weapons), and the events are very accurately presented. And Deaf Smith, Sam Houston's aide/second in command/whatever was accurately presented, as was his name. He was fairly deaf, and it was pronounced 'Deef' at the time - and there is a county in Texas named after him!
    I recommend checking the DVD's out from the library and watching - heart-wrenching in places, but Dang Good.
    And first date w/HS sweetheart was to the San Jacinto Battleground for a weenie-roast, with HS Trig class.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FirstDate.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	189809
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    One doesn't need to be a Texan to know of the importance of the Alamo, Goliad and San Jacinto. Unfortunately, such things aren't taught in many history classes anymore it seems like. But we all could go on and on about that . . .

"Remember The Alamo" should never be forgotten and at the same time, none of those who perished there and the others who sacrificed for the Independence of Texas should be forgotten either!

And even though I'd be considered a "yankee" . . . I say "hat's off to the great state of Texas"!

After the Alamo and Goliad Huston's army doubled or tripled , they were mad as hell .

Boolit Buddy
    Weren't most of the Alamo's defenders from places other than Texas?
    Also, most people don't know "The Yellow Rose of Texas" was a mixed race teenage lady from Connecticut.
    Last edited by HarryT; 03-06-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Many states represented. No shortage of courage. Unfortunately it was a case of armatures up against a professional. An Illinois soldier got Santa Anna's wooden leg later in the Mexican War. It was in a museum in Springfield but I think it was returned not to long ago.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

James Bonham
    He rode back to the Alamo knowing he would die .

February 27, with the Alamo defenders in desperate need of reinforcements, Travis sent Bonham to Goliad to plead with Colonel James Fannin to come at once with his army of 400 men. It took Bonham four days to carry out his order and return to San Antonio. On March 3, amid a hail of bullets and with a white handkerchief tied around his hat as the signal to open the gates, Bonham rode into the Alamo to deliver his last message: Fannin had set out on February 28 but had been forced to turn back. In a letter to the President of the Convention dated the same day, Travis reported that the Alamo could expect no aid from any quarter.
    After reporting to Travis, Bonham took up a position atop the Alamo chapel. Together with Captain Almeron Dickinson and his comrades, he directed cannon fire during the final three days of the siege. When the Mexican army broke through the Alamo’s defenses on March 6, 1836, Bonham’s position was one of the last to fall.

Boolit Master

I guess I should "remember the Alamo" even though my Alamo is in Tennessee. I've only visited The Alamo once and will never forget it. I've never been one to focus on details of battles and, before our visit, all I knew was that David Crockett died there. BTW my Alamo is in Crockett County, TN.
    John
    W.TN

http://www.texasescapes.com/CentralT...sStatePark.htm
    Visit there if you get a chance. Very good history lesson as is the Bullock Texas history museum in Austin. They were Tn & Texicans. Politics were the same back then.
    The one time I was in S.A., Alamo was closed for refurb.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    i remember when the calendars had days like that marked. Alamo day. ve day. vj day. important battles and other historic days. now nothing why?

I recall that at one time Skeeter Skelton was the Sheriff of Deaf Smith County, TX.

Up till not long ago all the elementary schools were named for Alamo defenders ,Crockett , Bonham , Travis , Bowie ............. . Texas history is still required in school here . Every state should teach it's history .

Boolit Master

I can hardly ever listen to this without feeling a bit misty...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyu3OIn5A00

fine men all, we should all aspire to make our exits as well.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

My daughter graduated from basic training at Lackland AFB 3 years ago. of course i drug her and her mother. I thought it was pretty awesome. I was shocked at first but it was alittle creepy. Then my daughter and ex wife were getting bored and i did the unthinkable. I started making thing up.
    example:
    Davey Crockett did this over here Sam Houston did that over there. I did so good i didnt realize that others were following us and listening.
    I did it so they would stop complaining and i could finish my sight seeing.
    Peter DiMatteo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast