Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Imr 4895

Boolit Grand Master
    When I could not get Varget I started stockpiling H4895 for SHTF. Those two powders handle my needs for .223, 30/30 and .308. H4895 has the advantage of being recommended for reduced loads and that was another factor is selecting it, as it would serve as a decent cast bullet option.

I have eliminated all my other rifle calibers (except for the .300 mag) as I found little use for them. KISS. I will likely get rid of the .300 Mag as well, even though it shoots extremely well.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    I was given some IMR 4895 when I first started reloading. It worked well but when I got low powder was scarce. I tried H4895 and found that it was slightly more accurate possibly because it does meter better than the IMR. It is without question the most universal rifle powder on my bench. My wife commented that 4895 produced less felt recoil than a similar velocity load of IMR 4350 with the same accuracy. I did notice when I was working up a load in the 30-30 with a Speer 110 JHP Varminter at 100 yards that from slightly below starting loads to maximum loads, the point of impact never changed which would indicate that precision weighing wasn't necessary for accuracy. It was then that I started using a powder measure for loading. If I have trouble with a new rifle, I try a few loads with H4895 because I know that it will work. I still have IMR 4895 and will use it when I can't get H4895 as they both perform well, but I prefer H4895 for slightly better velocity and accuracy. This has worked for everything that I have tried it in and I wouldn't be afraid to run out of any other rifle powder as long as I still had some 4895. It's kept my freezer full for years!

I started using surplus IMR 4894 in the 60's when I would take the bus to Viking arms on W Reno st in Oklahoma City. It cost me $.25 a scoop and I loaded it for all of my CF rifles. IMR 4895 and 2400 are still my go to rifle powders ranging from 243, 30-30, 30-40, 06 and 8mm with both cast and jboolits.
    Last edited by JMax; 03-11-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    Still like it , I have good luck with it 4895. No longer use in heavy guns, but still use it in all the 30's down, powder we always start with when working up a load.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12