Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best choice 260 Remington bullet for Deer size game

I own several 260s with 8 twist barrels that I have built over the years and the 120 with H-414 powder is a magical combination, you just have to push the load to get the holes to come together. However, the 6.5 rifle does not need a heavy bullet to kill like a lightning bolt, just do not shoot to hit bone, a shot behind the shoulder or in the neck is an instant one shot killer.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master

I hunt with a 6.5x55 which uses the same bullets. Only two large animals in the last 5 years were taken with anything other than a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. The remaining 30 or so white tail deer, pigs and blackbucks were all taken with the Nosler BT. The pigs ranged from small to around 275 or so pounds. All died very quickly.

Anything over 129 grains requires, IMO based on actual testing, an 8" or faster twist.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy

Red face + 1 on the Nosler 120 bt

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I hunt with a 6.5x55 which uses the same bullets. Only two large animals in the last 5 years were taken with anything other than a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. The remaining 30 or so white tail deer, pigs and blackbucks were all taken with the Nosler BT. The pigs ranged from small to around 275 or so pounds. All died very quickly.

Anything over 129 grains requires, IMO based on actual testing, an 8" or faster twist.

David
    The Nosler 120 BT is my go to bullet in my 6.5x55. put it behind the shoulder and down they go. No bloodshot meat if you hit them there. Always exits with a good size exit wound. THE best deer load available IMNSHO. (6.5x55, 260, etc.)

Boolit Master
    I use the 120 in the 260, with a short barrel and it is magic. I use the 129 in the bigger 6.5s

Boolit Mold

What is the best choice 260 Remington bullet for Deer size game

Quote Originally Posted by USMC87 View Post
    I have a Model 7 Rem 260 cal for my girls next years deer hunt and want to see what you like as bullet choice. The shots are most all the time under 100 yards but may go to 150 at times, I appreciate your feedback on this issue.
    I do not use the 260, but i do use 6.5x55 I customized from a model 94 Gustav carbine with a 18.5" barrel. That 160 grain
    hornady round nose at chrono'd 2300FPS sighted in 2.5 high at 100yds is a real stopper for whitetails! My latest was 176# 8pt. Bullet entered right front shoulder, exited in front of left ham! Went 25'. Nice blood trail (SHORT).
    That was under 50Yds. Next day shot 125# doe at 175yds. Both lungs. Went 50yds with huge blood trail. No bloodshot meat on either deer. Attribute that to low velocity, big bullet. Tried to post pics but dummy cannot figure how to get them there!

I didn't read all the post but lighter bullets kick less when loaded right, and the girls will like appreciate it. I now our boy did. full power loads scared him last year.

I use the Hornady flat base 129 grain Interlock in a 6.5x50 Arisaka. Recoil is so light that it is a joke. On the other hand, the deer do not think it is a very good joke because it works so well. Now, if I could just find a good cast bullet load...

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy C View Post
    I didn't read all the post but lighter bullets kick less when loaded right, and the girls will like appreciate it. I now our boy did. full power loads scared him last year.
    Way late to this post, but here goes. Randy C is ABSOLUTELY right. More young'uns have been turned off by recoil than any other factor in the shooting sports. A 100-grain Partition will kill any deer that walks and will kick not much at all in a .260 Remington. A handload running about 2800 fps. would be very much appreciated by anyone who could turn out to be recoil sensitive. Accuracy is directly proportional recoil.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC87 View Post
    I really appreciate all the advice guys, In fact I have twin girls who turn 16 this Sunday. Both girls love to hunt whatever is in season, I gotta say I love being a dad who has girls stuck on his side. I am hoping the 260 proves to be a great meat getter for us as we all love venison.
    he he he he! Hunt what ever is in season? You better get good exposure of you and a double barrel around the house for all boys to see because hunting season for girls comes also!! Sorry about thread derailment but I had to chuckle!!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I like 140s in my 6.5 guns but have shot 139s, 130s with good results. On deer and antelope I would be ok with 120s (I just got a new Grendel and many hunt with it this year and I like the accuracy of the 120 to 125 class of bullet) Pick the one that the girls can shoot best and you are good to go!

Thats what I get for not reading the date stamp on the thread! Two year old ZOMBIE! thread. The advice was good but at this stage the girls have grown up and Dad had taken over the 260 because he discovered how much more pleasant it is to shoot than what he was shooting and how dead it kills things.
    Last edited by Binky; 07-28-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Banned

yup plain old cup and core bullets ARE THE PREMIUM BULLETS FOR DEER HUNTING. No need for bonded, copper, partitions ect. All of them tend to do less damage to thin skinned animals then cup and core. There great to have when you need your gun to step up to larger game but for the most part I just use a bigger gun. Another advantage to them is they tend to be more accurate and have better bcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Plain old cup and core bullets placed correctly will kill those deer. Buy the latest & greatest if you wish but hardly necessary for venison taking. Hornady Spire points have piled them up for years.
    Best,Thomas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12