Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee 55gr Cast Boolit Loads in AR-15?

I love that it's been years since I first brought up the topic of shooting cast in 223 and we still don't have surefire methods of getting a 2 inch group at 100 with anything other than 4895.

I just got a Lee 6 cavity mold and I'll be doing some testing myself in the next couple weeks. *following*
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

I would love to try some of the Lee ones one of these days, still considering a mold and gas checks in that flavor, see if the BREN will deal with it.

Boolit Master
    I did more testing today. I noticed that the boolits I gas checked bottom up have rounded bases while the ones checked tip up have flat bases.

So I fired 2, 10 shot groups at 50 yards and found that the flat base boolits shot better.

I also tested 17 and 17.5gr (previous best group was with 18gr). The 17.5gr load with same rounded bottom checks shot better today than the 18gr load.

So next will be to test the 17.5gr load with boolits that the gas checks are flat on the bottom.

The comment above is timely also. I was going to ask if anyone is having any decent results using any other powder than H-4895.

Also has anyone tried "real" copper gas checks? I know don't flip out on me you guys who love aluminum checks but I already had bad results using good fitting aluminum when Hornady copper checks are working great.

Motor

Boolit Buddy

I recently purchased a six cavity mold in the 22 and you sur can crank out the bullets with them, I am going to use the HiTek coating on mine , havent had the chance to get any loaded yet , thanks to this forum you can get load information from other shooters and get an idea where to start with out a lot of time wasted trying this and that .
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    I did more testing today. I noticed that the boolits I gas checked bottom up have rounded bases while the ones checked tip up have flat bases.

So I fired 2, 10 shot groups at 50 yards and found that the flat base boolits shot better.

I also tested 17 and 17.5gr (previous best group was with 18gr). The 17.5gr load with same rounded bottom checks shot better today than the 18gr load.

So next will be to test the 17.5gr load with boolits that the gas checks are flat on the bottom.

The comment above is timely also. I was going to ask if anyone is having any decent results using any other powder than H-4895.

Also has anyone tried "real" copper gas checks? I know don't flip out on me you guys who love aluminum checks but I already had bad results using good fitting aluminum when Hornady copper checks are working great.

Motor
    interesting test.

I started using H4895 and had success, so I haven't tried anything else for cast AR loads.
    I've used both copper and my own homemade alum (lith-plate) GCs, sized/crimped/lubed with a lyman lubesizer (base first) with equal success.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smk SHoe View Post
    Kinda on the same topic, I finally got the Arsenal .223 "Elvis" running in a AR. It's a slick side and about 62ish grains. Loaded to mag length and 21.0 grains of 2230 and runs like a dream. I had problems with the lee 55, to short of a bullet to want to load reliably from the magazine. Some have done it, I wasn't gonna spend the time messing with it. Also the "Elvis" has a lot of bearing surface.
    Sorry for digging up an old thread but I'm on this journey right now. I got the Elvis mold, PC'ing it, sized to .225 and have tried IMR 4198, W748, CFE223. Tried published CB loads and got some to cycle reliably but accuracy was 10" at 25 yards. Worked up FMJ load data and got 6-8" at 25 yards CFE 223 giving me the best accuracy. I'm contemplating getting a gas check maker for a plain base GC's, but am trying my research before I invest. If I'm going to buy a GC maker I'd rather buy once than twice. I've never been able to get my hands on 2230 but I've got 7 months of deployment left to track some down! I'd rather not use gas checks as I'm loading for 3 AR's and 4 shooters.

Boolit Buddy
    I have tried. GC all the way. Just my opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123