Load DataWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee 55gr Cast Boolit Loads in AR-15?

Boolit Master

Lee 55gr Cast Boolit Loads in AR-15?

Yes I'm too lazy to search. I just got my first 22 caliber mould a Lee 55gr.

I'm looking for some load suggestions that will cycle a carbine length AR-15.

I'll be using powder coating which I'm hoping will be "enough" so that gas checking will not be needed.

What are you guys using?

Motor

Banned

19grs of 4895 with a 3/4gr tuft of Dacron is about the lowest that will reliably function a rifle type AR.

Boolit Master
    I've already tried No GC. You're going to need it for accuracy. Without it, I couldn't hold minute of berm.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    I've already tried with/without GC. You're going to need it for accuracy. Without it, I couldn't hold minute of berm.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    Depending on the bullet, you might need the GC to have enough bearing surface to grab the rifling. PC will just end the issues with lead in the gas system, and allow them to be driven harder.

I have not messed with full power 223 w PC cast yet. I have driven the lyman 55gr to 3000fps in a hornet. I just use jacketed data. 3000fps want the intention, I was trying different powders and charges, and some went that fast. W lil gun I got 2515fps in a hornet. And I have been shooting PC coated lino in a 308, 200gr was same fps as jacketed 150gr. Cycled the gun fine.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm driving the NOE version (@62gr) with 20gr of H322 for 2800 and change in a 16" Carbine gassed 8" twist .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Here is a test I conducted pushing PC'd cast 225438s to 2800 fps.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-high-velocity

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Thanks. Those were interesting. I especially liked the one Larry posted because of how it got off track discussing coatings. Now 2 years later PC is more popular than ever and we are still finding more benefits using it.

I used to cast different alloys for different velocities and different calibers. I had a couple pistols that would lead foul no matter what I tried. The best I could do was to get them not to accumulate.

Now I cast everything 12BHN and use HF Red PC. Every barrel I use them in is as clean as if I were shooting J-word bullets after shooting. Even Glock polygonal barrels. I haven't found the need to gas check any pistol ammo not even the 500 S&W shooting the 440gr with 27.5gr Lil-gun

In rifle (all 30 caliber) I'm still gas checking my high teens velocity loads but have not tested them yet without. There's just not enough time.

I've cleaned all of the lube out of my seating dies and cleaned my ammo boxes as well as I could. I'll never lube another cast bullet for use in a cartridge case.

Between here and the reloading forum at AR-15.com I've gotten some good information on this 55gr .223 thing I'm about to venture into. Hopefully within the next few months I'll be able to add something positive to this topic.

Motor

I recently did some playing around with the lee 55 grain RF boolit in my mid length 1:7 twist 16 inch AR, I used this carbine as I knew if any of my rifles would give me a hard time functioning and still giving decent accuracy it would be this one. Here is what I have found.. in my rifle I was able to get funtion with no less than 21 grains of IMR4895. 21 grains of H335 functioned but accuracy wasn't there (this is where I started with this powder so I may do some more testing with lower charge weights as I have a good stock of this powder), and 21 grains of BLC-(2) functioned and was fairly accurate, I didn't measure any groups but I'm guessing about 2 MOA and was able to ring a silhouette target at 200 yards standing every shot with open sights... good enough for me I powder coat and do not gas check, and have no sign of leading in my barrel.

Boolit Master
    Thanks. That's what I like most about these forums.

Motor

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I'm driving the NOE version (@62gr) with 20gr of H322 for 2800 and change in a 16" Carbine gassed 8" twist .
    Does this cycle and not foul the gas port??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    So far so good .
    I've run a several hundred with no suggestion of fouling . The more driven platform is a 6.8 SPCII it still ejects at 1:30 . I cleaned the action during work up . I really don't know what the round count is ,but I've run 6 mags empty 3x and 1 has done several trips at 2x . 600?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    So far so good .
    I've run a several hundred with no suggestion of fouling . The more driven platform is a 6.8 SPCII it still ejects at 1:30 . I cleaned the action during work up . I really don't know what the round count is ,but I've run 6 mags empty 3x and 1 has done several trips at 2x . 600?
    Sounds good. I'd like to try.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    My first post here been in the wings absorbing the info you guys put out. I would like to start casting for my AR. have been casting for my handguns for awhile. Again have been told it can't be done. From what I see here that statement is hogwash. Been told you can use Unique, tried it won't cycle at 5 grns. Lyman manual calls for 8.5 max. I haven't tried that yet. But I see here you guys are using H4895 with really no problems. I was wondering if you can use AA2230 and what amount would be used, if it can be used. I have a Delton 16" barrel 1to9 twist. And I do PC my boolits.

Banned

Many have tried and failed to get Unique to work.

Boolit Grand Master

Unique is great in a bolt gun or SS.......they still function as intended regardless of the charge..........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I have been using min jacket data w PC coated bullets.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks I will check that out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Unique is great in a bolt gun or SS.......they still function as intended regardless of the charge..........

Larry Gibson
    The question in post #15 was can Unique run an AR.
    The answer is no. This has nothing to do with your response.
    Does Unique impart the correct RPMs or is that not a consideration?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast