Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: S&W M69 questions

Boolit Master

S&W M69 questions

I'm thinking about getting another 44 revolver--looking at the S&W m69, I like the longer barrel but the info I've seen advertises a 20piece barrel and ball-detent lockup

No idea what the lockup refers to; also what does the 2-piece barrel mean--is it sleeved?

Could someone please enlighten me?
    TIA

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...AG44SP+4.25%22

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting another 44 revolver--looking at the S&W m69, I like the longer barrel but the info I've seen advertises a 20piece barrel and ball-detent lockup

No idea what the lockup refers to; also what does the 2-piece barrel mean--is it sleeved?

Could someone please enlighten me?
    TIA

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...AG44SP+4.25%22
    The 2 piece barrel refers to there being a steel barrel and a barrel shroud, Dan Wesson revolvers us 2 pc barrels as well that are retained with a barrel nut and are user removable. The Smith is not user removable. Some say that with the 2 pc barrel system having the barrel under tension with the shroud helps accuracy and I have to agree as I have several Dan Wessons and all are very accurate. As for the lockup that refers to how the cylinder locks into the frame. Some mfgs use ball detents some use multiple locking points but the key is the cylinder has to lockup tightly to aid accuracy. I have not shot the 69 yet but may get the new 2.75" this year. I also would love for them to bring out the 41 mag on the same platform as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one, the 4.2 inch version and I have not been thrilled with it. I bought mine with the hope that it would be 44 Special that could take the occasional hotter load with out bending. I specifically wanted to be able to launch a 429-421 type boolit at about 950 FPS.

Mine came with grossly undersized cylinder throats and a very "grabby" barrel that has an affinity for lead that exceeds any revolver I've ever owned. It was not a good cast boolit shooter.
    Doug Guy fixed the cylinder and hand lapping and fire lapping have minimized (though not eliminated) the leading, but I have yet to get a chance to thoroughly ring it out and see how it shoots. I only have about three hundred rounds through mine, having spent much of my shooting time in recent months with other guns.

Now there are a couple of other guys who report that their guns were right from the get go and one guy in particular who has put over a thousand rounds through his with no complaints, so it may well be that mine is an idiosynchratic example and that most are nice guns. But I would take a .430 bulllet with me and check the cylinder throats before I bought another one. If a .430 bullet wouldn't go through, I'd not buy it. Mine came with .428+ throats. Now they are as near perfectly matched as I can measure and are .432. Doug Guy does great work.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0460.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	189811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0462.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	189812
    Last edited by rintinglen; 03-06-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    S&W is using a ball detent on the crane on some models in addition to the typical lockup points on the back of the cylinder star and the ejector rod. My 929 Performance Center but it has a traditional barrel with button rifling especially for this model.
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 03-06-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Current round count is 1160. Lots of Unique and bullets/boolits have gone through it. It does lead with hard cast due to the lube used. I picked up some real castboolits from here with good lube. Minimal leading. It's a good gun that is on my hip more often than not when out doing chores or hunting. I did put on Herrett Jordan Troopers as the stock grips tore my hand up bad. I got mine in Nov of 2014, and it led to my addiction of Smith revolvers. I believe you won't be disappointed. I haven't measured my cylinder yet, but one of these days I'm going to start sending cylinders to Doug and have them set up. I just don't see myself parting with them until I pass and my kids pick them over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0154.jpg   IMG_0155.jpg  

Boolit Master
    bluelund I really do like those grips. They really do improve the looks of the M69.

I wish they would make one of these in a 45Colt.

Boolit Master
    I like the looks of those grips warboar!
    They would not work for me as I am left handed and have an affinity for the smaller, round butt style--I have wide palms and short fingers. I do like the idea of the L-frame in 44 mag, but the weight at 37 ounces is causing me to hesitate--I may wind up going to a Charter in the 3" model.

They also help with felt recoil. My accuracy load is top end of Unique with a hard cast boolit, those rubber grips chewed my hand up, the Herretts, not at all.

Herrett makes other styles, and using your hand Trace as a guide, so being left handed would have no bearing. I normally don't tout a product too often, but after 2 years and almost 1k with those grips, I'm a believer. At some point in time, they will be making me a set for my 627-5, 617-6, and depending on my carry rotation, for my 686-6 3". I know when I get a 625, it'll be purchased almost instantly.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    I like the looks of those grips warboar!
    They would not work for me as I am left handed and have an affinity for the smaller, round butt style--I have wide palms and short fingers. I do like the idea of the L-frame in 44 mag, but the weight at 37 ounces is causing me to hesitate--I may wind up going to a Charter in the 3" model.
    I'm left handed as well and my hands are of average size. I prefer a nice set of wood grips over the vast majority of rubber grips out there.

As to the weight of the gun it wouldn't matter to much to me since these guns are to large to be used as a ccw in my book.

Boolit Grand Master
    Warboar, you'd be surprised. I'll admit they are not pocket pistols, irregardless of what some pundits have written, but in a good IWB holster, a 4 inch Smith can hide pretty well. Not my first choice, I'll admit, but do-able, at least with a little effort.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.