WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms...KUDOS!!!

Perma-Banned

Charter Arms...KUDOS!!!

I came by this destroyed gun in a round about way. I was there when the bullet was loaded and fired, that caused it to be blown apart. It was a 7.0grs of Unique under a 215gr bullet. I saw the powder measured with my own eyes...it was 7.0grs of Unique. There was only 1 round loaded...just to try before loading more, to see if they would hit pretty close to POA. Not sure what went wrong...but something did...no doubt. This was a new gun with about 200rds through it...obviously, there had never been a similar incident in those rounds. A call was made to Charter and they said it was a reload and that voids any claim to warranty. Unfortunately, the owner had a salvage gun on his hands.

At any rate, since my son and I have several Charters...including this same model gun that I bought for him just this past Christmas, this was a good parts gun for us...there were still a lot of good parts that could be used or even sold. Anyway, I got to looking at it last week...still did not understand what caused the failure...I was there and saw it...but still didn't understand what happened. With this fresh on my mind again, I picked up the phone and called Charter and talked with the tech. I told him that it was a reload...gave him the details and asked if I paid to send the gun to them, if they could tell me what had happened to it...he said to send it. I carried it to my dealer the next morning for shipping...cheaper for them to ship than for me...$20. It was shipped and delivered to Charter on Friday,2/24/2017. I fully expected to have to call them at some point to move this along as I was sure that it would not be a priority with them. Well, I check my email on Friday, 3/3/2017 (8 days later) and discovered that my dealer had sent me an email that my gun was already back. So, I called my son and told him to stop and pick it up. Well, a couple of hours later he comes in with a BRAND NEW revolver...but, they did not include a report as to what they found. I don't know why they replaced that gun...but, I ain't gonna hassle them for an explanation.

I had to do the right thing...presented it to the guy...put a smile on his face.

Folks...that is GREAT customer service...I don't care what you say.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 03-07-2017 at 01:45 AM.

Boolit Master

OUCH!
    My guess is you never found the rest of the cylinder?

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    OUCH!
    My guess is you never found the rest of the cylinder?
    If it was ever found, I am not aware of it. I was standing close and did not see anything, so I assume it blew apart. If there had been more than one round in the cylinder, it might not have blown it completely apart...but IDK.

We were just thankful for no injury.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 03-05-2017 at 10:47 PM.

I have owned several of those brand revolvers over the years. They are great packing guns and I have always gotten top-notch service from their customer services group.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I got the same service from CA last year when my Target Patriot in 327 failed; cracked frame. The offered me a 357 or a 44. The 327 was out of production, I chose a Target Bulldog, great gun. The entire transaction took less than 3 weeks. CA is a standup organization.

Good to know there's another company that stands by their product.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Charter has excellent service, I've always been happy with them. Their current revolvers are quite well made too.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    My 44 crack the cylinder but did blown up like yours. I send it back and they put a new cylinder in free of charge. I does make you think what was the cause. Bad steel or to thin of a cylinder to support the round.

Boolit Buddy
    If they would just make their front sights interchangeable and not part of the barrel I'd probably have a pocketful of CA guns.

The original Charter Arms Bulldogs of the 1970s remain a favorite. They were quality made and a delight to carry. I'm glad they are backing their products. You did the right thing for your friend but I wonder if he will wonder- will it happen again?
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    This is interesting that I found this thread.
    Yesterday , Sunday , March 5 , 2017 . I got home from church and wanted to blow off a cylinder full out of my C.A. Bulldog Pug . Charter 2000. I bought the gun brand new in 2007 In Wasilla @Chimo's Guns.
    I've run somewhere around 200 rounds of ammo they it.
    I had factory 44 Special ammo in it.
    Put on the muffs. Walked out on the deck , cocked it , aimed and fired. Heard something hit the deck. Looked and it was 2 rounds of ammo . Looked at the gun and the cylinder and top strap were no where to be seen. I will say that I didn't get a mark on my . Which I greatly Thank God for.!!
    I have it and the piece of the cylinder laying on the kitchen table.
    I've examined it and don't like the look of the grain structure at the breaks in the frame and cylinder. However, not being a metalurgest I can't say what caused such a catastrophic failure.
    Since I no longer have the box the ammo came in. There is no way to KNOW what brand the ammo was . And since photo bucket won't let me upload any pics to my album . I can't post any pics here.
    I was thinking the gun was a total write off.
    This box of ammo has had some (a cylinder full) shot thru a 629 Smith, as they were bought in town as a city (2 legged predator) load. And it is 44 Special ammo with a jacketed hollow point bullet .
    Wasn't any problem with doing that.
    You are being watched.

Perma-Banned

Cold Trigger Finger...I sent you some pics of the inside of the cylinder on this gun, by pm...you can compare it to yours.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 03-06-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Thank you. I'll check them out.
    You are being watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    I had factory 44 Special ammo in it.

Since I no longer have the box the ammo came in. There is no way to KNOW what brand the ammo was .
    If it was factory ammo, isn't there a headstamp on the case?

Yes. It's nickel plated Starline brass.
    You are being watched.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    If memory serves.....Black Hills Ammunition did some nickel plated 44 Special some years back, don't remember the head stamp.

It's embarrassing that I cant post pics . But I can't. Took lots tho.
    You are being watched.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    It's embarrassing that I cant post pics . But I can't. Took lots tho.
    I use photobucket and it is not giving me any problem.

No, it's not Photo Bucket. It's my phone. I don't have enough RAM. Pbuk is a big file to work with . And I have too much on my phone.
    You are being watched.

Perma-Banned

Cold Trigger Finger...here's your pics...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170305_153318_1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	189881 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170306_123607.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	189882 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170305_162247.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	189928 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170306_151343.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	189883
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 03-07-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast