WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Help with rcbs expander die

Help with rcbs expander die

I'm having some problems with my rcbs expander die in 30 carbine. It's a brand new die set. I'm screwing it in until it touches the shell holder then backing it off a half turn. With the expander stem just barely threaded in, it still makes contact with a sized case. I should be able to screw it in quite a bit before it ever makes contact. Anyone else have this problem? I tried backing the die out even more but that didn't help. I'm starting to think the expander plug is out of spec. The dies are steel not carbide.

Sounds like they stuck the wrong stem in it. Call RCBS on Monday and they will fix the problem.

Called them earlier and they are sending me a new stem. Hopefully it's that and not the die body.

If it is the die body, they will probably end up just sending you a new die.

Boolit Master

No reason that the die body can't be turned out a few turns. That one is not critical to be near the shell holder/plate. I agree with the earlier posts. RCBS will make it right, regardless.

I figured it out. The directions are wrong. The way the flaring stem works it has to make contact with the case even screwed all the way out. The stem goes in the case about a quarter inch before it hits the flare part of it.

Boolit Master
    Just remember, that "flaring stem" is the ACTUAL expander--you know, to EXPAND the case ID so it is within 0.001-0.003" of the actual bullet dimeter. That is NOT just a case mouth flaring tool and is important to help seat the bullet straight.

I don't know what the instruction say, but don't you just screw the stem up all the way, screw the die body down all the way until it almost contacts the shell plate, put a case in the shell plate and raise it up, screw the expander down until it contacts the case, lower the case a little and screw the expander stem down a turn or two (not moving the die body), raise the case so it enters the expander stem and then lock down the die (now that you have die alignment). After that, you screw the stem down until you have the amount of case mouth flare you want. That seems universal for expander dies that have an adjustable stem.

Boolit Master
    Why in the world would the die body need to ever be screwed down to the shell holder on an expander die???
    Something I have never done in over 30 years!!!

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Just remember, that "flaring stem" is the ACTUAL expander--you know, to EXPAND the case ID so it is within 0.001-0.003" of the actual bullet dimeter. That is NOT just a case mouth flaring tool and is important to help seat the bullet straight.

I don't know what the instruction say, but don't you just screw the stem up all the way, screw the die body down all the way until it almost contacts the shell plate, put a case in the shell plate and raise it up, screw the expander down until it contacts the case, lower the case a little and screw the expander stem down a turn or two (not moving the die body), raise the case so it enters the expander stem and then lock down the die (now that you have die alignment). After that, you screw the stem down until you have the amount of case mouth flare you want. That seems universal for expander dies that have an adjustable stem.
    Correct, it opens the ID along with flaring the case mouth. The directions so with the stem all the way backed out it shouldnt touch which is incorrect. The flare won't touch but it still opens the ID which is fine.

Boolit Master

Being that it is RCBS, it is probably an M style expander. Those I like because they make a little cup instead of a bell. That works brass as little as possible and makse it easier to start the bullet straight. The only issue will be if the shank and M flaring diameters are large enough for your bullet diameter. The plug in your set is likely dimensioned for jacketed bullets. That is important to know, and it is discussed far too infrequently. RCBS has many diameters, and they might even send one for free if you need to go up a thousandth or two. Just call and tell them what you want to do.