Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scams and more Scams

Boolit Grand Master

Scams and more Scams

Many of you may have seen some of my recent post about cleaning up in my shop and finding lead that I forgot about having. Well, I put some tools and some electrical material up for sale on Craigslist. Within minutes I had an offer for one of my tools, offering 4 times my asking price. Some weird deal about taking my cut and paying someone to move it. It was by text, in pretty broken english. I responded that his offer sound like a scam and thanks but no thanks. The area code was from California. Within minutes I got another weird offer on the same tool, this time from an east coast area code. I hate a scammer! You Guys be careful!

Boolit Grand Master
    I had that happen when I posted an antique cash register for sale.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    That's been going on for a while. I had a gravely listed once and same bs story. I played along and even had them mail me a rubber check. I never responded to them for several days and when they finally contacted me I told them I had gotten on a drunken binge for several days and spent their money on liquor and had no money to send back to them.
    I ask them for another check and the ftards sent me another one.
    Don't cash them by the way, I tore them up and threw them in the trash.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Ever found something for sale on CR with a pic that doesn't match the climate where you live? Love the mowers, tractors, atv's and trucks listed for sale here locally that the only pic they had to post was one with palm trees in the background when we've got snow on the ground. Half of the compact tractors I called about a few years back were blatant scams.

Boolit Master
    Easy fix. When you post an ad on craigslist mention you will only reply to phone calls.
    East Tennessee

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Ever found something for sale on CR with a pic that doesn't match the climate where you live? Love the mowers, tractors, atv's and trucks listed for sale here locally that the only pic they had to post was one with palm trees in the background when we've got snow on the ground. Half of the compact tractors I called about a few years back were blatant scams.
    We get those all the time up here. Wife and I kinda have contests to see who can find the most scams. Odd thing is we've found some honest deals off craigslist, though rare, they are there.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 03-05-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Some really are deals. I found some realtor lady in Atlanta who was selling 13# of lead-free solder for $30+ship, and when I emailed, she said she was showing a place that was supposed to be cleaned out, and one of the subs must have left it behind months ago. So I fired off a check and sure enough, 13 new rolls showed up on a MFR box. Happy here!!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    craigslist is like life you have to really be on your toes. we got burnt on one s10 blazer. but did get a good deal on a s10 pickup for the wife a year ago. 2 mouths ago we bought a k1500 wt it is a nice truck been doing great since we got it.

but then I have nothing to worry about I just got a email saying I have 2 million dollars in a bank in Africa.

Boolit Master
    I had a truck for sale once on cars.com. A woman called me speaking broken English. She asked for my bank account information with my PIN number so she could deposit the funds. I gave it to her, all false of course.

Moderator Emeritus

The ones who say they will pick it up and ship it for you are really fun to mess with, I told one to sure go ahead and had the town cop answer my door when they got here... ended a scammers run!

Boolit Bub
    I had a used garage door for sale on craigslist and got a text from a texting app traced back to Chicago, 300 miles away offering to send me money and have his people pick it up on the way thru. I couldn't lose as I would have the money before the door was picked up. Everyone else that has contacted me wanted pictures; this guy didn't ask, just wanted my address to send the check. I didn't give it to him. Maybe I missed a sale, but I wasn't comfortable at all. By the time you pay two people to drive 300 miles and pick up a used door you can buy a new one and have it professionally installed for less money.

Boolit Master

One of my buddies here on CastBoolits texted me about a guy selling his Dads moulds. The brothers weren't interested, they just wanted cash. So many nice moulds with texted pictures!
    I couldn't buy them all! So I settled for a Saeco 8C in #325 (32 Cal SWC) and a few others, RCBS, rare Lyman, etc. I requested he close them, put them in plastic baggies, and then tape them. I even paid Paypal Family and Friends.
    That Saeco 325 is nice!
    So are the others!

Boolit Master
    Just the nature of the internet, scams are everywhere. Look thru comments on a news story, your gonna find someone pushing a get rich quick scheme. List something for sale on CL, you have to wade thru the scammers. Some I have no idea how they manage to screw anybody as you would have to be pretty dumb to not see thru it. Personal ads and dating sites is full of it to, if the site itself is not the scam. That whole Ashley Madison thing, come to find out there were no actual women, it was all guys scrambling over fake profiles.

I have a bass amplifier on Craig's list now. I got a email last week from a guy asking the usual "still got it, how much, etc". We agreed on a price and he asked where/when he could pick it up. I told him the local Police Dept parking lot, (they had offered this service) and later in the week since I was suffering from the crud that's going around. I never heard back from him.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

If they send a check, it's usually a fake.
    They hope you take it and ship off the goods before you or your bank finds it's a fake check.

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff on craigslist and always insist on a FTF deal. You just have to weed through the BS.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    I have bought and sold a lot of stuff on craigslist and always insist on a FTF deal. You just have to weed through the BS.
    FTF can be physically dangerous. Robbery, rape, and/or murder have started with CL adds. Whether you are the buyer or seller you are at risk. Meeting a stranger with something of value to sell or to purchase something of value makes you a cut above the average potential victim.

Be careful!
    I like the idea of the Police parking lot!

Boolit Master

Off the path question; but at the heart of the thread. Where are the Law Enforcement officials on cleaning tis up? We have vast numbers of different law enforcement agencies who should have a finger in these scams such as: Local Police, State Law Enforcement, USPS Inspector Service (Mail Fraud), US Justice Department (Wire Fraud & Fraud Division); FBI (RICO), Treasury .....

Years ago there were BUNKO Squads in cities and County Sheriff's were involved in arrests for writing Fraudulent Checks or Scam operations. It seems that no Law Enforcement cares anymore. Attitude seems to be "Nothing we can do", or worse - "You Should Have Learned a Lesson". I find it hard to believe that it could not be drastically reduced with some effort by Law Enforcement.

Of course international enforcement because of the Internet is more difficult; but those scams are not new; my wife remembers as a young girl her family got a letter from Germany saying that they had inherited a Castle in Germany (her family is derived from Northern Germany) and all they needed to claim the Castle was pay some legal fees, they trashed the letter. Given that I receive a dozen of these types of Scam E-Mails daily; I am sure that the US Government could partner with foreign governments to curtail the numbers if they had a desire to do so. Seems that the banks and Credit Card companies also turn a "Blind Eye" to the scams as they seem not to work on the Check Fraud much; and for Credit/Bank card scams they simply write it off without pursuing the thieves and increase their fees/rates to cover the losses (Cost of Doing Business Attitude). In my mind a significant indicator of the collapse of US Social order. A hundred years ago, a Scammer coming to town risked being caught and Tarred and Feathered by the local citizens, since Law Enforcement seems to ignore it, maybe some "Bounty Hunters" with Tar and Feathers should be considered.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A few years back, I used CL for the first time just to see how it worked. I had an extension ladder and an aluminum trim brake for sale. In my ad, i was very specific that I would only accept phone calls and not text messages, etc. I couldn't believe how many text messages I received - it was just crazy and you could tell that they were all scammers. I texted them back telling them phone calls only and they still persisted and many wanted to know my address which I refused to give them as I figured it was a case of them getting it and then a visit in the night to come steal the items. I know a lot of folks use CL but personally, I doubt I'll ever use it again just because of all the scamming that does go on. And yes, I even received texts that they would mail me a check, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    FTF can be physically dangerous. Robbery, rape, and/or murder have started with CL adds. Whether you are the buyer or seller you are at risk. Meeting a stranger with something of value to sell or to purchase something of value makes you a cut above the average potential victim.

Be careful!
    I like the idea of the Police parking lot!
    Yep just like a FTF sale of a firearm best place it right there in the old police parking lot. Scammers don't want to come near that deal, robbery on police department cameras, plus the injured pride aspect pretty much guarantee strong police response, so only the legit show. I used that for camera gear before, not going to meet in a gas station parking lot to exchange $300 item and cash.

The scam with the OP's being offered way more money is they need to get the price up where they can easily send 1,300 hundred rather than 130.00 they will then contact you about the "mistake" with the money order or cashiers check and suggest you deposit the whole amount and send a cashiers check or money order for the over payment. You deposit the 1,300 and send them the $1,170 difference and the item only to find out two or three days later that the money order you deposited is fake and bounced.

Big scam with used car buyers having a cashiers check for a set amount over the price of your used car. They show up Saturday morning. You go to your bank and sign title and deposit their "payment" and then give them back the difference in cash. They leave with your car and cash, you find out Monday or Tue. that the cashiers check was fake. You are not only ripped off for the car but you paid them to steal it. Grrrr! Hulk Smash! They deserve no less.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast