RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 03-Drill rifle rebuilds?

I've been shooting a chrome plated 03-A3 for the past 10 years. The barrel is marked RA
    02-44. I haven't seen any signs of welding on it.

Boolit Grand Master

My knowledge of the history of demilled drill rifles is limited. I do have a couple of questions.

The CMP has only been in existence since 1996 and I was not aware they demilled any rifles??? Anyone have document that the CMP does demills?

The DCM was a department of the Army and as such followed Army regulations. Did the DCM demill or was it done a the depot level?

The mass sales of surplus firearms in the 50's and 60's I thought was done by the NRA. Correct or incorrect?

Banned
    Paul5388,

My suspicion is that your rifle was once the property of a military school cadet "fancy drill team". = We had DOZENS of similar rifles in our arms room in the mid-1960s when I was a NDCC cadet.

yours, tex

Boolit Buddy
    Broomhandle
    If I remember, or if I find it on the web I will let you know. It was 40-50 years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    There were some questions about proofing reclaimed drill rifles,Roy Dunlap in his book"Gunsmithing"page 178 gives a 10% above factory standard,about three grains above max. He states,new brass,check flash hole for standard,clean,dry chamber,at least five rounds fired with headspace checked after each shot fired. The book did not mention drill rifles as such,but recommends proofing after barrel,chamber or action work. I have built up a few reclaimed 03a3s,used his recommendations to good effect, a real gut-wrencher to jerk the string on all the work involved. Of course your mileage can vary drastically!!! lreed

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Guys,

I finished the break in today. Everything went well. It was really windy, but i had a few nice groups at 100 yards & hit some steel at 200 & 300. Still getting the feel of the rifle!

Best to all,
    broom

Boolit Master
    Glad the rifle is working out for you.
    While I personally won't invest in a reactivated rifle of any sort I can appreciate the draw of bringing something back from such a deactivation.
    Years ago I ran across Canadian Inglis manufacture P-35 pistols that had been deactivated for use in hand to hand combat training. They were selling for $20 each IIRC. The pistols were complete other than a dummy or plugged barrel being secured by having a square cross section pin driven into the hole for the take down pin and being heavily coated with red or blue enamel. perhaps a skilled welder and machinist, and I knew several real artists of the trade back then, could have welded up the buggered hole and re drilled it, then only a new barrel and takedown pin would have been required to make the guns useable again.

Many MG and SMG receivers have been rewelded. With blowback SMGs there's not that much stress on the receiver compared to a locked breech weapon.

Its possible to build up shortened or lengthened rifle actions by cutting and rewelding, so long as the action is front locking and a heat sink protects vital areas.

I'd much rather find a bubba'ed sporter built on a Springfield action and restore it, if necessary by using furniture and other parts scavenged from a Drill Rifle.

I'm more used to people asking about reactivating DP'ed Enfields, which in many cases were made from totally unsuitable actions, in some cases from rifles that have been salvaged from burned ships or buildings the heat treatment now non existent.
    I don't doubt that at least some Springfield Drill rifles were built on salvaged battle damaged parts. Certainly more than a few relatively undamaged Springfields were picked up from the battlefields and returned to service.
    Awhile back a visitor to another board asked about reactivating a DP SMLE and later reported that the rifle had increased its headspace at every shot so he reversed the procedure and returned it to deactivated status, then bought a proper replacement that was safe to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Multigunner,

Honestly, I can't question your sound logic!
    If you asked me last year, about buying a drill rifle & spend good money to turn it into a functioning & firing rifle. I'm sure I would have told you, I would never consider it!
    As a pal of mine has said a few times "Never say never!

Be well & ENJOY every day,
    broom
    Last edited by broomhandle; 04-02-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    Broomhandle are you in need of another stock for an 03a3? PM me if you need one, "I make you an offer you cannot refuse"
    IIRC

"You won't know till you actually try it."
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Buddy
    Hi DCM,

PM sent to you!
    Thanks for your interesting "The GOD FATHER type" message!
    broom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123