RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Me SW 40 Cal. Any new mold recommendations?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    The 45 ACP spoils pistol shooters ROTTEN with its intrinsic accuracy and lead-friendliness. The 40 S&W is a service pistol--I have no idea what the ammo will do for grouping when fixture-fired, but none of the several pistols in the caliber I now own or have owned were Camp Perry-capable. They have run 3"-3.5" at 25 yards very reliably, and I can keep all hits inside the "8-bottle" of a B-27 target at 50 yards if I do my part. That is good enough for me, 'cause it is a goblin popper in my world.
    Wish I could hold an 8" group at 50 yds. The only person I compete against (and have to please) is myself, and after many K's of rounds of Lee 401-175-TC and Lyman boolits thru my G22 w/LW barrel it is obvious to me that I personally shoot tighter groups (whether slow or rapid fire) with either the Lyman 401043 or 401654. I also have distinct preferences for the boolits I use in .45, .44, 38/357, 9MM and .380 strictly based on my personal evaluation of performance. Totally agree with you that 40SW is a goblin popper, my G22 stays on the night stand.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ed_Shot--

OK--NOW you have piqued my interest.

How wide do those Lyman mould blocks cast COWW or 92/6/2 alloys?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Ed_Shot--

OK--NOW you have piqued my interest.

How wide do those Lyman mould blocks cast COWW or 92/6/2 alloys?
    Just went to my shop to verify what my latest batch of what I'm pretty sure is 92/6/2.... as cast, my caliper says the Lyman 401043's are .405 dia. (@ 169 gr) and the Lyman 401654's are also .405 dia. (@155gr.). I size both to .401 with my 450. I only lube the bottom grove on the 401043.

The negative reviews of the Lee 175 got me skeered so I cancelled my order. Now what?

I know I want something larger than a 2 cavity. Going to PC whatever I cast. Something from NOE?

Noe and Miha molds are fantastic! Once you get them you won't want a Lee again.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

I use the Lee and run them powder coated with a starting charge for same weight jacketed bullet. Runs like a champ. Never had any accuracy or fouling problems.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

I've been very happy with the Lee 175?

Boolit Buddy
    I've always Prefered the Lee 401-175 with aa#7 in 40s&w. My powder choices where limited at the time. Ive acquired a few more desirable powders. Just no range membership to test them out now.

Boolit Master

Is this the boolit you guys are referring to when talking about the Lee 175?

Attachment 190480

'Cause I could not get those to fit in any of my auto pistol's chambers without setting them really deep...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    No, that is a revolver style SWC boolit. The Lee 401-175-TC has no "shoulder" and seats much shorter by design, around 1.115.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Most votes seem to be the Lee 175 so I think that is where I'm going as a first attempt. I've run some rounds through it with j-words and I like the pistol a great deal. Changing the backstrap to the Medium gave a nice, full grip and the kick was nothing to speak of.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have the 175 pictured above and an LBT 403-175 RF both run nicely in an XD over 5.7 gr Unique ( max load ) for about 2" at 25 Weaver .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I have the 175 pictured above and an LBT 403-175 RF both run nicely in an XD over 5.7 gr Unique ( max load ) for about 2" at 25 Weaver .
    Are you referring to the pic in post 29? If so, are you seating similarly to what is shown in that pic, or deeper?

I'd really like to buy the Lee 175 as my first mold, but the few negative reviews have made me hesitant.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Yes . The XD has a visible throat of about .1 so there is lots of room to load as long as the magazine allows . I think I sent all of what I had on hand with the pistol I will look tonight if the chicken pox queens will let me . New strain , 2nd time for the 8yo 1st for the 10 yo both had the vax weird ...
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Ouch! Remember having those when I was 5, and is miserable. I feel bad for them!

Boolit Master
    NOE has a sale this week on 40 cal molds.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    NOE has a sale this week on 40 cal molds.
    Leadmelter
    MI
    Of course they do - I ordered a 180RN brass 2 weeks ago
    Always happens but it is a work of art and am sure it'll be great.
    I also chose the lee TL175 to try tumble lubing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have few of the Lee 6-cavity moulds, but the ones I do have are decent tools--and usually of generally better quality than older 2-cavity tools. All three of my Lee autopistol TC design moulds (9mm, 40/10, 45) are 12-15 years old and of 2-cavity size. I got lucky on all three moulds, in that they produce very usable bullets of sufficient diameter for their meant calibers. This is not always the case with Lee moulds--the company does have periodic lapses of quality control. You are rolling the bones a bit when you buy a Lee mould, but out of at least 30 such tools I now have only one is an irredeemable bummer. Considering their cost, that seems like a fair risk--and the company usually exchanges the bummers without much whining. NOE, Accurate Molds, and Mountain Molds make FAR SUPERIOR products--if you want a serious tool that will work very well, you need to spend serious cash to acquire one. If you are willing to fuss over the tool a bit and finish building it, then the Lee moulds can be made to work--like some Ruger Blackhawks I've been acquainted with.

20 years ago, I had the patience to fuss with such things. Now--not so much. No more Lymans or Lees at my house, and I bring pin gauges to all revolver buys these days. I think very highly of the Lee TC/conventional groove autopistol designs, and if one of the semi-custom makers could be prompted to produce a good knock-off of these critters that might be the best of all possible worlds.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    What kind of velocity are you looking for? I think a 175 or 180 grain chink of lead at 850 fps is just dandy for any purpose I might need it for.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12