RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Looking at a CVA 223

Looking at a CVA 223

LGS has some CVA Hunters (black stock) on sale for less than most 22LRs. Cal is 223. At the price I really think I will probably bite even though I really don't need a 223 as I have a Handi Rifle in 243 which I have all the loading stuff for. However I also have a couple of Lyman 22 molds so maybe it would be a fun rifle down the road. I also have some 22 Hornet bullets and some 224 55 grain WW bullets stashed away. Darned deals come along and one should be strong but at $219 one can weaken pretty quick.

DEP

Sure. Why not. Know a guy that has one. He's happy. My Dad considered one but didn't like the stock. Just didn't feel right to him.

I'm giving one a try a guy had one for sale locally for $150 scoped and 100 rounds of ammo and a case . Hard to pass up a deal like that

=RR

Had the wrong model. This one is a Stalker with a 24 inch barrel. Bought the thing and will play with it. See what happens. Need to see which scope I have laying around will fit it first.
    Don't see the 223 listed for a Stalker on the CVA web site when I looked up specs for it but the box says Stalker and it has the barrel release on the rear of the TG.

DP
    Last edited by northmn; 03-05-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reloading Rod View Post
    I'm giving one a try a guy had one for sale locally for $150 scoped and 100 rounds of ammo and a case . Hard to pass up a deal like that

=RR
    You lucky dog! That WOULD be impossible to pass up!

Boolit Buddy
    Funny...all I ever find is 243 and cannot find one in 223....

They stock Rossi's which are in 243 and my Handi Rifle was only in 243. The LGS (Reed's Sporting Goods, they have a web site) had these on display one out and others in boxes. They had a couple left. They seem to look at them as a "beginners" deer rifle. I bought a box of Federal Fusion for them 62 grain as I read good reports on them for deer and thought that they would also be good on coyotes, which is mostly what I would probably carry the rifle for. I have too many deer rifles already, like my 243 Handi Rifle, a 45-70 Rolling Block, several levers and a couple of bolt actions. I find the single shots kind of fun however.

DEP

I only see .243s and 7mm-08s. I want a .44 mag to rechamber to 44-40. Yep.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    I've actually been looking at one in 44 mag- not to rechamber but just to have. Seems like it could be a neat little rifle.

My Stalker is bit on the heavy side which is fine for the caliber. The scope mount that comes with it would permit mounting about any scope but seems a little high. Weather is pure misery right now, with wind advisory warnings out and it snowed last night. About the only spare scope I have is a 4X so I might wait a bit to find a higher power scope for it. Bought a box of American Eagles to rough site it in. CVA makes the Apex the Stalker and the Hunter. The Hunter is the inexpensive one with a MSP of about 250. The Stalker has a 24 inch barrel to the 20 inch on the Hunter and has a different latch system. I do not see any listings for the Stalker in this caliber or many others. CVA lists it in 45-70, 444, and 35 Whelen. Some time it was made in other calibers. Like I mentioned it is a hefty rifle. The Apex is a more expensive SS but has provisions for interchangeable barrels. At the price of this rifle it si less expensive to just buy the rifle.

DEP

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    They stock Rossi's which are in 243 and my Handi Rifle was only in 243. The LGS (Reed's Sporting Goods, they have a web site) had these on display one out and others in boxes. They had a couple left. They seem to look at them as a "beginners" deer rifle. I bought a box of Federal Fusion for them 62 grain as I read good reports on them for deer and thought that they would also be good on coyotes, which is mostly what I would probably carry the rifle for. I have too many deer rifles already, like my 243 Handi Rifle, a 45-70 Rolling Block, several levers and a couple of bolt actions. I find the single shots kind of fun however.

DEP
    Just curious...... a 62 gr, 243 boolit? For deer? I don't recall anything under 90 recommended in .243. The 90 to 100 gr soft points are generally recommended. Unless very small deer. Can you verify were this info came from? I would like to study it.

Probably a typo. The .223 uses a 62 gr Fusion. The .243 uses a 90 or 95 gr I believe.

I bought the Fusions in 223. I use 100 grain Nosler partition handloads in my 243. Although I did get a deer with a 95 grain Nosler ballistic tip. The comment was made concerning single shot rifles found in a LGS. It seems they are all 243's like in the one I frequent.
    For some obscure reason I find these single shots fun to shoot. When I sat at my shooting range with the 243 Handi rifle I found myself plinking at weeds sticking up out of the snow and other such things. I just ordered a scope for the CVA and will be waiting for a little better weather. My range faces the North and the wind today is at 20+ mph.
    I tend to read the reviews on the Midway USA site and have found them to be pretty reliable if there are enough of them. I bought a Tasco Red Dot based on the reviews and it has been a good product. I bought the Fusion ammo based on reviews. Found it interesting when I looked at the info on the box. They claimed the best results would come from its use in a semi auto rifle? The CVA has a 1-10 twist according to it site and 1-10 ought to be plenty for a 62 grain bullet. 223 is kind of like the 30-30, factory ammo can be had such that it hardly pays to reload for it. Do want to try some cast.

DEP

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Probably a typo. The .223 uses a 62 gr Fusion. The .243 uses a 90 or 95 gr I believe.
    Makes sense. Thanks.

"Don't see the 223 listed for a Stalker on the CVA web site when I looked up specs for it"

Noticed that also I wonder if they quit making them. I purchased that one that was for sale, can't wait to get out and give it some range time.

Boolit Man

I just traded for a Hunter in .308, another not listed on the CVA site. Anyone rebarreling these? There doesn't seem to be any aftermarket for barrels in other calibers...