Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brand New to Reloading: Advice for those of us on a tight budget?

Boolit Bub
    I have spent many hours reading this forum, books and other sources online.
    My suggestion is read the forum, get a book (some are free ebook) no need to buy them. If you want loading data find it online, ask for help or buy load data book.
    As for equipment Lee Classic Turret is a minimum. Don't bother with single stage and don't bother with progressive right now.
    As for cost effective with minimum waste on "kits" I recommend https://kempfgunshop.com/Kempf_Kit_w...4Kit-6575.html
    Plus a good scale from amazon for powder, decent micro caliper at HF.

Hell, i cast my own bullets now and equipment cost me less then 20 bucks plus cost of mould.
    Hot plate = 10
    ladle from Goodwill = 1 (drill 3/32 hole in the middle) bottom pour ladle
    SS 1.5 qt pot = 6.

Boolit Bub

I started this thread in hopes of helping people starting out from making some of my mistakes! Other members added a lot of valuable information. Might help, might not.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pment-mistakes

all of these guys give great advice. I tend to not post things i am more of a listener or post reader...lol
    i started out with a partner we bought a dillon 550b. We would each buy things that we needed calipers, scales, primer,
    powder, bullets etc.etc. And we went from there eventually reloaded 4 different calibers. So follow these guys advice get a mentor that would be my best advice to follow. Watch them reload it may be something you dont want to get involved with.
    Patience and really paying attention to what your doing is critical. But it can be fun. Good luck.
    Peter DiMatteo

Boolit Master
    An hour with an experienced handloader is priceless .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    I think the best thing you could do would be to find a knowledgeable mentor. Some areas depending on where you live may be more difficult than others, but it's not an impossible task either.
    thats about the best thing offered!!!

1. read a loading manual, either the lyman or lee loading manual
    2. start out with a single stage press, lee classic press is a good one
    3. lyman pro 500 scale or if you the money, hornady lock n load auto charge powder dispenser
    4. lee rifle and pistol dies, i still use them. hornady, rcbs, redding ...you can buy later
    5. lee shell holders, you can buy a autoloader and auto primer later
    6. case trimmer and a chamfer/deburrer tool
    7. if you can, buy a lyman turbo 1200 tumbler and tumbling media(corn, walnut...)
    8. if you can, buy alot of hornady one shot case case lube
    9. primer pocket tool
    10. powder funnel
    11. case lube kit
    12. have fun because i'm still collecting(25+ years) what i "need".

oh, i almost forgot. i'm still waiting on the "i'll save money" thing!!!

Boolit Master

My dos centavos - check out ebay and get an old RCBS Rock Chucker press. Should go for about $100 including shipping, considerably less than a new one for $189 plus shipping, and they don't wear out, if you treat them half-way decently. I've had mine for about 50 years, and it still works fine- I do my rifle loading on it. I have a Dillon for pistol work, but if I just want to load 100 or so 9mm's, rather than go to the hassle of changing heads and adapters on the Dillon, I'll do them on the RC.
    And re ebay - you can find good buys on reloading dies, like Carbide 9mm die sets for $20, &cetera. Powder scales - I will PM you for your address and send you an RCBS 5-10, postage paid. Use mine all the time, and I have an extra. Just like a sore pecker, 'Can't be beat'.
    Best of luck.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

nice gift...
    Peter DiMatteo

Very nice offer Echo!

Boolit Master

As to the original post.
    Reloading is a life long endeavor, when you have everything that a man
    could want or need to construct any sort of boolit or ammo, he dies.
    Then his widow sells it off for pennies on the dollar, unless someone in the family takes up the hobby.
    Nail that part down first by getting your children involved in shooting and reloading and it wont go down the drain.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I started with th4e RCBS supreme kit and a set of dies. ~$300. That was all I needed for quite a while. As I got more particular I picked up more-- but the RCBS kit is still the centerpiece of what I do.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Depends on your budget really and if the bug actually catches you. If the bug don’t catch then you don’t need a lot of fancy equipment, but you do need equipment. It also depends on if your life may have a few quick turns to it possibly being younger. You are also in the introductory stage and just wanting to get in a little more trigger time and not Olympic competition.

1st? – ebay, swaping and selling of this site when you have enough post, and the rural gun shows or smaller gun shows, though the big ones can have deals if you look on older equipment. For example, I have seen good O style presses for $40 and something like a Lee hand prime for $6, etc etc.

5th? – Really on a budget, any old sturdy table will work. Maybe something off of free craigslist or make something out of pallets then put some OSB on top.

3rd? – Probably depends on which flavor

2nd? – Get a O style single stage press to start IMO. RCBS, Lee, whatever used is cheap and has standard threads. You’re just learning and if you don’t have ADD or HYPO it should get along with it fine to start. I am not sure how the die sets are set now, it has been a while since I loaded pistola. But, a set of Lee dies would be the cheapest, fine, and functional. With the carbide dies you may not have to lube the brass.

4th? – Here’s the $3 to $25 pesky stuff that adds up to give the starter the gezzzzz, all this **** thoughts.

-Reloading Book, others have mentioned beginner readings. But, I think you might be able to download one or two from this site that might get you started. I can’t remember where they are on this site though.

Powder Measuring -Scale, Lyman or rcbs, maybe a lee safety scale. Probably pick up a used Lyman or rcbs cheap. Check it with a boolit. A set of lee dippers or maybe make one out of a case and soldered on nail for the .40.
    Powder funnel
    Take a ¾ , 1, 5/4, or 2x whatever and drill a bunch of ½ or 5/8” holes in it for a charging tray.
    Case prep – Lee trim die tool, lube, deburrer, calipers, shell holder, make a lube pad or get one
    You might need a flaring die if the die set doesn’t have one
    A Lee Hand Prime is invaluable with ease and time
    Primer pocket tool
    Maybe a neck brush for later

Now boooolits

A Lee bottom pour 10#r, but I have seen 20#rs for $25 @ gun shows then you would need a DECENT dipper, not the Lee dipper. Or, get a pot and melt it on a camp stove or whatever

Lead
    Lee mold of your choosing and LLA lube or make some from the recipes on this site

You might need a sizer, maybe if one of the tumble lube boolit designs doesn’t work for you
    Old tablespoon for skimming
    Primers and powder

Probably missing a few things, but that should get you blasting.

Put this up where you are reloading or something of the like, so you see constantly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170305_17_53_52_Pro.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	189769

The ole disc went a few years back bad finally. Last year on the 4th of July was the first time I got to the range in a couple of years. All I did was load up a 100 30-30 rounds with unsorted miscellaneous blasting 2nds of the Lee 180 gr. I didn’t even trim. I just grabbed 100 misc brass used a wilson’s punch, deprimed, lubed, sized, flared, Lee hand primed, got my tea cup and used a Lee 1.0 dipper to scoop up GD to charge the cases and seated boolits, then a Lee factory crimp and went blastin at the range. Didn’t feel like walking 100 yds and didn’t feel like changing targets either. For just general trigger time and blasting the above should get you going along with the other post suggestions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170305_17_50_54_Proedit.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	189770
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Grand Master

How many licks does it really take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

AHHHHH the 70s
    Peter DiMatteo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123