Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: once fired brass...uh huh.

Boolit Master
    Its pretty hard to say 'once fired' unless your the person who did the firing from new brass. Stuff picked up at the range, there's no way to know how many times it may have been used. The 9mm, 40, 45 brass seems pretty safe, most don't mess with it where it gets used more than once and left on the ground.

But even actual once fired brass can be messed up. Guy I knew had bought this huge box of 7.62 nato once fired, 2k or more easily in the box, he was gonna load it, but never did. All lake city military stuff, it sat in the garage collecting dust. I skimmed a couple hundred to mess with. About half have loose primer pockets, must have gotten carried away with the swage removing the crimps.

Boolit Buddy
    I have never had primer pockets all loosen at the same time, there must be more to the story. A lot of factory rounds have a red ring around them now, more so with the non USA ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    SS pin cleaning should not be used when selling fired brass. It hides all sorts of bad things. And let's be honest. People use it to hide these defects and maximize their profits. I don't want any brass that has had the primer removed. I will take care of this step on my own.
    Can you explain how SS pin cleaning can hide defects in brass, please? I still tumble mine in walnut hulls, but I thought SS tumbling was the new wave of doing it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Range pick up is just that
    you don't know their history
    however if someone claims its once fired and its not
    and sell it here they should be held accountable
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by Triggernosis View Post
    Can you explain how SS pin cleaning can hide defects in brass, please? I still tumble mine in walnut hulls, but I thought SS tumbling was the new wave of doing it.
    SS Pin cleaning polishes the brass so brightly and cleans all the nooks and crannies. Makes it hard to see stretch marks or defects with all that shine. Things such as tarnish, staining, pitting would all be tough to see. With primers out (typical for SS Pin washing) you can't see original primer type or condition. Typically not going to be silver CCI in 1x brass, and won't be flattened, flowed, or backed out which can indicate the condition and use of the brass.

I know some commercial or semi-commercial outfits use SS pin wash so that customers receive nice shiny new looking brass. I guess in that case you are depending on the sellers reputation for the brass having been inspected before cleaning.

There is one person in S&S here that sells fully prepped military brass, including re-rounded to true it. I assume his reputation depends on people being satisfied with the brass he sells. Which is one reason I encourage people to provide feed back in the straight shooters and deadbeats, although I would also consider it proper manners in the event of a problem to start with a PM to see if the issue can be sorted out to mutual satisfaction. Followed up by reaching out to the moderators to well moderate. Easy to really hurt someone's reputation with a hot tempered and ill considered rant. Sometimes how a person deals with a deal not working out can be as important as the "quality" of their product.

I too have purchased from orisolo & from Grumpa and was completely satisfied. There have been others I don't recall, which is why I make sure to record it in the straight shooters & deadbeats at the time. CRS disease strikes often here.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Guy I knew had bought this huge box of 7.62 nato once fired, 2k or more easily in the box, he was gonna load it, but never did. All lake city military stuff, it sat in the garage collecting dust. I skimmed a couple hundred to mess with. About half have loose primer pockets, must have gotten carried away with the swage removing the crimps.
    I bought a bunch of bulk 7.62 NATO brass one time, all once fired, at a small gun shop. It was nearly scrap price so I wasn't worried too much. About half of it was LC and the other half French GI (boxer primed). I ended up scrapping most of the LC because it had been fired in a very loose chamber and most of them had the beginnings of case head separation on the inside. The French military stuff was indeed boxer primed, but it turned out the boxer primers they used were slightly oversized and regular large rifle primers were loose.

Banned

I have no idea what happened. Did the stainless pins eat brass? I am still shooting .44 brass from 1980, over 42 loadings of hot loads with no loose pockets. Loaded hot with 296. Fed primers.

Boolit Master
    i've been trying the ball bearing trick...seems to help.

sit the case on top a ball bearing ...put a steel pin inside the case and hit the pin with a hammer couple times.

not real hard ....kinda sharp tho.

DO NOT hit the pin more than once!....i found out that this DOES work,BUT if you hit it twice or three times, you'll move too much metal and the pockets will be too small and impossible to seat a primer in...had to use a pocket uniformer cutter to open up the holes enough to get a primer in.

one medium pop of the hammer does it.
    Last edited by mozeppa; 03-07-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: more info!

Boolit Grand Master

To Whom It May Concern. At my demise there will be bounteous amounts of de-primed, acid and SS pin cleaned, beautiful brass available. If ya want only dirty, stained, ONCE fired virgin brass don't buy it. There are literally multi buckets that look like new, but don't be fooled, it's all been fired, at least once.
    Most were picked up off the ground or bought here on this sight. I've culled the obvious that didn't meet my satisfaction, but my standards may not equal yours.
    Until that time I will state that I have been grateful for the quality and quantity, of every purchase from our members and couldn't have expected better.
    To those who are so critical of "used" brass remember, even the original mfg. didn't guarantee "flawless" products. We just learned to expect it.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

I've had brass I KNOW was once fired with pockets the newer Winchester primers weren't tight in, but Wolf primers made a difference in force of seating and worked.
    As to machine gun fired brass - I've used lots of 7.62 and 5.56, usually use a small base sizer for first reload and "factory" after, worked for me.
    Never been ripped on this site and hope no one feels ripped on anything from me !

Boolit Master
    i don't feel too bAD NOW... i've been enlightened on how to fix the situation with the ball bearing trick.

in fact... i'm coming up with a tool to do the ball bearing trick really fast and more repeatable on tension.

Boolit Master
    it's really hard to switch primer brand use....when yer sittin' on 160+ thousand winchester's

Boolit Master

I got a bunch of "once-fired" 38 Special brass from a major online retailer one time. Somebody must have swept out the reloading room at a olde-timey range, as I got wadcutter cases older than I am with the nickel worn off, deprimed cases, belled cases with live primers, and a few live rounds. This is another reason why I always put on safety glasses when I step up to the loading press, you never can tell if a live primer might be lurking in that "good deal" you got on fired brass.

Boolit Master

I've bought lots of once fired brass here. A lot is still sitting on the shelf as I was stockpiling before the election('s). Of the brass I've used, I don't recall any problems.

Last fall I happened to be at the range when the sheriff's department and police department were qualifying or practicing. I found out what days over the next 3 or 4 weeks they would be there and arranged to follow them the next day if I could. Picked up several thousand 9mm brass. They had just changed back to 9mm from .40. I got the impression that .40 would start being somewhat less common over the coming days.

This thread has been very informative. If I run into problems, the ball bearing trick may help salvage some rifle brass. Like some have stated, I try to buy Starline for my .45 Colt, .475 L and the like.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    One caliber that I can probably for sure say they were fired in a MG.That`s the .50BMG.A guy that I know bought a bunch a few years ago for his Barrett.Not to mention the 10K loaded rounds.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

I bought once fired brass (308) by the pound from springfield armory for several years during the Nationals this was mostly WW. I got LC from the military teams during this time also.

Boolit Grand Master

I've sold a little brass on this site. I advertised it as range brass. A small bit I advertised as once fired because I KNEW the history. I did not clean any of it except when it comes home it gets run through a plastic bottle with hot soapy water. I did sell quite a bit at a gun show last year that was tumbled. Gun show buyers seem to like it polished. I use loading blocks to count brass with. Sorry you had a bad experience, its sad to even think we have scammers on this site!

In the years I have bought brass, I have accumulated a 5 gallon bucket "once fired twenty times brass". Most were so overloaded the pimmers were flowing and the head stamp was no longer legible.
    I figured the guy needed the money so we just kept adding to the bucket and shaking our heads. Came close to $500.00 loss.

My only real complaint is when I have a 70 pound item for sale that's half the size of a washing machine box and he demands I ship it for $20.00 from literally one side of the planet to the other. (I'm 30 minutes to the CA border)
    Or it says "plus shipping" in my add. He says "I'll take it" then notifies me that we are now splitting the shipping cost because he wants a better deal on a $500 item I have used for two months and selling for half that. <eyes rolling>
    I end up throwing my hands up in the air during the 20 PM litigations and selling it to the next guy in line that will gladly pay shipping.
    So then I get turned into the mods and now I'm supposedly the bad guy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123