Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: once fired brass...uh huh.

Boolit Master
    i wonder if the op didnt accidently over clean the primer pockets? i had a friend of mine who had the same problem with fed. american eagle brass that was bought, fired, and reloaded by him. turns out, he over did it with a frankford arsinal case prep center and ruined the brass.

Boolit Master
    Trying a different brand of primer may work in this situation , to salvage the brass .

Boolit Master

On the other hand, I had one incident that turned me off on selling any brass. If I ever sell any more, I'm overly careful about close photos and accurate description.

I had a bunch of rifle brass I got from a hunter who had been accumulating it for a decade intending to someday reload. He never did so he sold it to me. I had it for a couple years and never started loading that caliber so I sold it here. It was all the same brand, all bought at the same store over a decade or so. I put it the description that it wasn't all shiny, had been sitting around for years, and several of the boxes were dog-eared, but I had no doubt that it was once fired. I didn't decap and wet-tumble because I thought that most people want it unprocessed.

After he gets the brass he send me a nasty-gram, saying it was clearly many times fired and worn out; his "expert reloader" buddy told him so, because it wasn't all nice and shiny like some he'd got before. I tried to explain it to him, even offered to take it back or do whatever to make him happy but he disappeared. I have no doubt that had I processed it beforehand he'd have been totally happy. It left a really bad taste in my mouth to know that he thought I'd ripped him off.

I don't buy and sell a lot but over the years that's the only negative experience I've ever had here.

Boolit Master
    Just my opinion on buying brass in S&S. So far it been 90 percent good. I been shorted more rounds then bad brass. Some people need to learn how to count seller said 105 rounds i got 95. This has happen a few time miss count, But i never receive more then they say they have. I have bought range brass that some of it looks like they dug it up JUNK. Just be honest with other on what your selling. My words are worth more then a few dollars to be honest.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    On the other hand, I had one incident that turned me off on selling any brass. If I ever sell any more, I'm overly careful about close photos and accurate description.

I had a bunch of rifle brass I got from a hunter who had been accumulating it for a decade intending to someday reload. He never did so he sold it to me. I had it for a couple years and never started loading that caliber so I sold it here. It was all the same brand, all bought at the same store over a decade or so. I put it the description that it wasn't all shiny, had been sitting around for years, and several of the boxes were dog-eared, but I had no doubt that it was once fired. I didn't decap and wet-tumble because I thought that most people want it unprocessed.

After he gets the brass he send me a nasty-gram, saying it was clearly many times fired and worn out; his "expert reloader" buddy told him so, because it wasn't all nice and shiny like some he'd got before. I tried to explain it to him, even offered to take it back or do whatever to make him happy but he disappeared. I have no doubt that had I processed it beforehand he'd have been totally happy. It left a really bad taste in my mouth to know that he thought I'd ripped him off.

I don't buy and sell a lot but over the years that's the only negative experience I've ever had here.
    So people will ***** if you hung them with a new rope. I know a guy that gave a friend a car so he could go to work. A few month later the brakes went out. He call the guy up and told him he gave him a junk car. And he wanted him to pay for the brake job.???????????

Boolit Grand Master

I'm very careful who I buy from. W/ pistol brass I prefer to buy new Starline. The extra cost is worth it in the long run. But there are a few vendors here who sell from indoor ranges. The brass I've gotten from them has been good.

Now bottleneck brass I will only buy new, still in bag or military. Anything else and I've had to many cases on the verge of case head separation. A simple paper clip confirms this rather easily. I don't trust people when it comes to bottleneck brass. I've been burnt on this site multiple times.

The following are my opinions. Once fired should never be said unless it's military brass w/ the crimp still intact. Anything else and you don't know. Many reloaders are honest. But if you're selling brass you picked up from the range you don't know how many times it's been fired. The lone exception being a range that only allows new factory rounds to be fired and they require you buy from them.

SS pin cleaning should not be used when selling fired brass. It hides all sorts of bad things. And let's be honest. People use it to hide these defects and maximize their profits. I don't want any brass that has had the primer removed. I will take care of this step on my own.

Boolit Master
    Ya'll better hope nobody is selling my leftover brass here, lol. I only leave brass on the range when it is at the end of it's useful life.

Boolit Buddy
    When I buy brass advertised as range brass I know what I'm getting at a good price but almost all brass at gun shows is sold as once fired and the guys really don't have a clue what they have. Many are cleaning up brass bought through estate sales, trades etc and there is no way to know how many times fired. I have been burned a few times but have been happy most of the time. I would rather buy unprocessed brass and inspect it myself than the guys that polish the hell out of 50 year old brass and ask new price for it

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Ya'll better hope nobody is selling my leftover brass here, lol. I only leave brass on the range when it is at the end of it's useful life.
    You don't take it to the scrap yard? That's the worse place to get brass from. That's where all my worn out brass goes. And I've been scolded by other reloaders for not crushing the cases first. I'm taking them to the scrap yard for a reason :laugh:

Boolit Grand Master
    I got burned on a 5 gal pail of .38 Spl. Most was OK but some was pathetic. It was not worth the hassle to return it and the price was really cheap. One thing I like about 9mm and .40 is that almost all of it will be once fired as there is so much coming off LE ranges. I prefer buying military 5.56 and .308 as it is easy to tell if it is once fired and with the Dillon it is easy to swage the primer pocket.

The red flag goes up if someone is selling a large quantity of brass in .357, .44, or most of the rifle cases. It is unlikely that anyone shooting that much will have large quantities of once fired.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You don't take it to the scrap yard? That's the worse place to get brass from. That's where all my worn out brass goes. And I've been scolded by other reloaders for not crushing the cases first. I'm taking them to the scrap yard for a reason :laugh:
    Nope, I toss them in the brass scrap bucket on the range. The bucket says scrap, it's for scrap brass. The range takes it's brass to the scrap yard to help keep our fees low. If a dumpster diving thief gets my brass from the bucket...well...sucks for him.

Let me get back on topic, lol. Hopefully the OP wasn't intentionally ripped off.

Boolit Master
    I have never bought brass on the site, but I have sold a ton over several years to many members on this board and others without a single complaint. All the brass I've sold or traded has been described as brass "I believe is once-fired (unless I know beyond a doubt that it's OF), clean but not polished, not decapped, sized, or otherwise prepped".

Once brass is polished you can't really tell whether it's OF. OF brass has a certain patina to it, and very few of them shine like they just came out of the tumbler. OF will usually have smudges of residue around the mouth, and primer crimps or sealant will be in place. Of course there are always exceptions, which is why I'm hesitant to ever say "always" or "never" in matters pertaining to ammunition and components.

Boolit Master

I prefer once-fired brass unmolested, as do most of us who know what to look for, but I'm convinced that the brass-buying masses have a strong preference for shiny, inside and out.

I obviously don't go through near as much brass as many of you all, so I'll just stick with my random range pick-up brass that I sort carefully myself, and neither buy nor sell.

Boolit Master
    Well, this is why I tend to buy my brass from orisolo.

Boolit Master
    Starreloader is an excellent source of brass as well.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    The brass I have sold on here is just SS pin tumbled, primers left in! Mozeppa, I hope you didn't get burned too bad on this deal! I guess I'm as guilty as the next person, as I got that pin tumbler, and it was like," oh, look, it makes all brass beautiful!!"
    Not realizing what I was doing. Live and learn I guess! Other than some LC 13 7.62 brass I don't deprime till time to reload,exception to this rule is processing 5.56 military brass. One of reloading so most hated chores!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    You have Indoor range pickup Most times it is once shot: You have range pick up and it can be 50 /50 or better

Then you have the sales from the scrap barrel guys....easy to go to the scrap dealer pay him for the barrel and then get a price adjustment when you bring it back! You really have to be wary about these type guys..... They say once shot but who knows; could be very bad
    Just things to think about when buying brass on the internet!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Starreloader brass is great. Have ordered brass from him more than once. Great guy to do business with.

I corn cob & mineral spirited the last batch I sold. I figure it easier to spot flaws this way but I usually sell it uncleaned. I won't size/deprime it. Maybe the op can Super Glue the primers in. I probably would and label them as ONE USE.
    Best, Thomas.

When I sell brass I never claim that it's "once fired". I pick the stuff up off the ground at my gun club, I have no idea of the history of any of it. Granted, the vast majority of it LOOKS brand new and once fired, and probably is. There's a lot of pistol and carbine classes and competitions held out there, they shoot hundreds and leave 'em. Always new rifle brass around too, especially during sight-in season.

But I don't claim any of it is "once-fired", because who knows? I didn't shoot it, that's all I know.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast