Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reboring by J.E.S.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Thanks.

It's certainly an attractive, economical option.

It's either that or one of the .35 caliber wildcats for an ar15. I'd prefer the latter, I just wish there was more info and support for at least one of the latter.
    That 78 is a perfect candidate. The .35 cal wildcat AR15 round will be several hundreds of dollars more and it will never be a .358 Winchester. Now it will work in a AR10 seamlessly but what a beast to carry. Points to ponder!
    Best, Thomas.

Perma-Banned
    3 groove gives less bullet deformation. 35 Whelen is nice but never overlook the 9.3x62.

Boolit Master
    There are several threads about JES .358 cal reboring at Accurate Reloading.

I have not figured out if it is the rifle owner or JES's work that is causing the issues.
    EDG

richpoor, spent the past 8-10 months going back and forth, decided whelen because of the long neck, more molds, and easy brass. three grooves deforms less, but does that mean that it would be easier for a boolit to "slip" the grooves.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    I chased the thread down at AR.
    A lot of variables. The first clue of an issue, and then do it again?
    IMHO, when we reload we take on ANY and ALL issues that may arise. I see something to the point of it being very odd, that all of a sudden he decided to wire the gun to a fence post and fire it with a string?
    He admitted knowing that the bore was tight, being out of spec, though I don't recall if he slugged it before or after. The issue should have been addressed from the start.
    It is very easy to point a finger or place blame. Who knows, it could have been damaged from the prior caliber.
    The gent was some what polite about the way he presented it, but then when he couldn't gain much sympathy it seemed like he was irked.

I have two projects that will be going to Jesse and I have no second thoughts about it.
    I have shot a couple of guns before and after reboring, the shot great and are still going strong, one is a 35 Whelan.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    There are multiple threads with inputs from multiple shooters there.
    In general the complainers never did much of a job measuring the actual dimensions of the rebored bores. So I cannot give much credence to what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I chased the thread down at AR.
    A lot of variables. The first clue of an issue, and then do it again?
    IMHO, when we reload we take on ANY and ALL issues that may arise. I see something to the point of it being very odd, that all of a sudden he decided to wire the gun to a fence post and fire it with a string?
    He admitted knowing that the bore was tight, being out of spec, though I don't recall if he slugged it before or after. The issue should have been addressed from the start.
    It is very easy to point a finger or place blame. Who knows, it could have been damaged from the prior caliber.
    The gent was some what polite about the way he presented it, but then when he couldn't gain much sympathy it seemed like he was irked.

I have two projects that will be going to Jesse and I have no second thoughts about it.
    I have shot a couple of guns before and after reboring, the shot great and are still going strong, one is a 35 Whelan.
    Jeff
    EDG

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    richpoor, spent the past 8-10 months going back and forth, decided whelen because of the long neck, more molds, and easy brass. three grooves deforms less, but does that mean that it would be easier for a boolit to "slip" the grooves.
    neck makes no difference, look how well 300 Savage shoots with cast boolits.

you only need the NOE 368-280 GC

boolit slip has yet to be proven. plenty of 2 groove 03s work fine

9.3 brass can be made from 06' see Pet Loads by Waters

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    We should have bought stock in his outfit. Everyone shoots as good as any rifle it ever was. Fast, friendly and tells the truth !
    We have been unable to see any accuracy difference in the amount of grooves that are cut. Maybe if we had 600 or 800 yards to play with it would show up. But we get the 3 groove now and are happy with everyone. Have rebores from .458 down to caliber .375. Next will be some caliber .338's.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I aspire to have him do a 323 rebore of a shot-out Garand barrel so I can have an 8mm-06 barrel but I haven't committed yet (I haven't found a good-enough "junker" barrel for him to renew). He was really nice over the phone when I was talking to him about the project idea.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

yeah, very friendly guy

Boolit Master

I asked him when I did the 30-06 to 338-06 if he would do it as 8mm-06 as I already had a mauser in that caliber , He told me that he did not do 8mm , but that has been a few years back .

Banned
    Oklahoma Rebel,

IF it was me having the work done, I'd send the rifle to JES & let him decide which rifling pattern is best. - My experience is that his work is FAULTLESS. = I'd take neither love nor money for my Model 760 pump-rifle in 9.3x62mm.

yours, tex

roger that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12