Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Casting pewter bullets for cartridge board?

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar

Casting pewter bullets for cartridge board?

So I've been thinking about this for a while and wondered if anyone had tried it.

I'd like to cast bullets of pewter for dummy rounds of cartridges that I want to have lead bullets, my thought being that the bullets won't oxidize and get crusty over time. I'm not a serious cartridge collector but my collection is growing and I'd like to start making up dummies for a cartridge board. Any thoughts from anyone that has actually done this?

I'll probably try to soon and post my results. I think I'll start with a my 452423 and 452374 and load both in auto rim and see how that goes
    "RCBS, Pacific, Lyman and many others furnish excellent dies and tools, but you must furnish the gray matter to produce perfect hand loads."

-Elmer Keith, Guns & Ammo, January 1982

My guess would be that you are going to end up with a slightly different sized boolit (is it a boolit if it is made of pewter? a poolit maybe, I digress...) though for dummies, I doubt it would matter. I cast my pewter in an old 3oz sinker mold, and they do come out very shiny.

Boolit Master

I cast my pewter in sinker molds for alloying. No reason it won't work with boolit molds. I can tell you it's a bit harder to remove pewter from the mold than it is lead.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The only experience I have had with casting pewter was years ago when I was in college. We built a centrifugal casting machine and did some lost wax process casting - never tried it in a bullet mold but it should work O.K. I would think. It would be worth a try to see how they come out and how they do size wise.

Or . . . you could be like the Lone Range and make those magical "silver bullets"! Think of it as an "investment" that you can enjoy looking at everyday!