RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Python/Anaconda 2K

Boolit Master
    I only have one of the snakes but it is a nice one. I bought this Diamondback many years ago in a gun shop for around $400 as I recall. It was not a steal at the time but it was a good price. The Detective SPL, while not a snake it is built on the same frame so I thought I would show it anyway, hey we all like to look at pictures of nice pistols. I think I paid about the same price for it as the Diamond. The thing I hate about owning pistols like this is the fact that they are worth too much to shoot. I was working in a telephone office back in the mid 1970s and a friend came to me wanting to sell me a Colt Python and Diamond back that were new in the box, $500 for both. I didn't have the scratch so I called my brother and he bought them and he still has them NIB.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    I do understand why they sell for so much. They are pretty. Probably the nicest looking revolver ever mass produced.

But...from the beginning they were made as a premium gun, in limited quantities at higher prices. So, like a Rolls Royce, some people pay more just because of the name, whether it is really a better product or not. The good part, at least in the old days, is you got a pistol with a really good hand fitted action, tested for accuracy, and a bluing job that was without equal.

I love my Python...but, I didn't have to buy it. Handed down from father-in-law. Pistol was made in the 60's and was one of the hand fitted ones. And, yes, it takes some 'tune up' every now and then to keep it in good shooting condition.

Yes, many other pistols can be made just as good with some simple work to them. These days many production guns can equal them out of the box. But....many of the mfgs (Colt included) also seem to be on cost cutting measures that make getting a good product kind of a **** shoot. Even in the old days you could end up with a Colt Trooper that was just as accurate and smooth as a Python for so much less money. But, the next gun off the line might not be so good.

Would I pay full price for one these days? Only if I wanted it for the looks. For function and accuracy I'd get something else and make sure I have enough money for a gunsmith to make it perfect for me.

PS Too valuable to shoot? Never. I shoot mine all the time, probably 1000rds a year. But, I also shoot an 1897 Mauser C96 that is worth even more. Not quite as many rounds, but, several hundred per year. If I don't shoot a gun I sell it or trade it for something else.

Boolit Master
    I have many handguns to shoot so why not let these two lay in the safe? I could have sold these two Colts and doubled my money some years ago but I didn't, now they are worth a lot more. Do stocks you buy increase in value like these pistols have? A few months ago I looked at a Luger in 30 caliber that was made in 1920. It was in a local gun shop and priced at $1800. The pistol looked as though someone bought it new, put it in a drawer and never picked it up again. It was beautiful but I hesitated because it was 30 caliber, thinking only about shooting it. I came home and started to do a little research. Never mind the caliber, collectors don't shoot them anyway. That pistol would have sold for 4, maybe 5 grand and many would have been thrilled to buy it. Had it been shot a great deal, not so much. I did learn in my research that if you break one little part, no matter how small, it cuts the value in half. When I got back to the gun shop the luger was long gone.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

There is no doubt that some guns turn into investments. Old Winchesters fit that bill. The snake guns are some of the newest ones to fall into that category. More will continue to do so as time goes on. I have to many investments in my safes already. But I can't sell them due to fear they may increase in value even more. Such a terrible position to be in :laugh:

Boolit Master
    Sorry, I don't care if they will double in price. I don't 'collect' guns, I shoot them. Someday, my kids, nieces, nephews, grands, may sell them, but, I won't.

If you cant shoot them, then why bother? Profits are nice but enjoying the experience is worth a lot more to me.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    I have followed your way of thinking in the past and when I remember some of those sales I almost cry. Here are a few guns I sold. A Sharps Borchardt made for the South Carolina National Guard. It was in 45-70 in excellent condition with a mint bore. A fast $100 on that one. Today it would bring in the thousands in S.C. How about another Colt 32-20 in excellent condition. A big profit on that one, paid $95 and sold for $140, whoopee. A Luger made by Simson & Co. Traded that one for a cheap 22 revolver. A Colt commercial model 1911 made in the 1960s. Paid $75, sold it and a S&W model 39 for $275. I could go on but I feel the tears welling up. You must remember all these deals were made in the 1960s. As hard as it is for younger people to understand, there just weren't that many people collecting guns at that time. Most of the guys I knew wouldn't cough up $37.50 for a Ruger 22 auto pistol much less give one or two hundred for a center fire pistol when ammo for it was 15 cents a round. I know I will have to sell all my guns at some point and I feel that point is getting closer and coming faster but for now I do enjoy looking at them even if I don't shoot them. You who don't agree with what I have just written can shoot or sell or you could hammer them into plowshares. I really don't care.

Boolit Buddy
    My first gun was a King Cobra. I've come close to putting it up for sale many times when things were lean (like now, for example). I'm glad I haven't. It's a pleasure to shoot.

Boolit Master
    I had an opportunity back in the early 90's to buy an 6" Anaconda for super cheap. Guy was hard up for cash and priced it to move quick. I foolishly passed up on it because I am not a fan of 44Mag. I never knew they made them in 45 Colt until I saw one at a gun several years back with a price tag that I figured no one would touch. Went back by the booth the following day and it was gone.

Boolit Master
    I read that they may be on heir last breath. Lay-offs and bleeding cash.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I read that they may be on heir last breath. Lay-offs and bleeding cash.
    Leadmelter
    MI
    Glad to hear things are back to normal at Colt.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Some coverage from this year's shot show at the Colt booth they introduced their new production repro of the SP-1 AR15 and a new production Pocket Hammerless, both are guns that would sell in droves if reasonably priced especially the AR. But in Colt stupidity & tradition, they decided to make them a very small limited run and cost quite a bit more than existing originals or clones by other companies. And the rep at the booth essentially flung poo in the face of everyone with an ounce of intelligence by claiming the absurd price of the new SP-1 was to cover "retooling". Yet a smaller company like Troy Industries that makes a bunch of different vintage AR Replicas, all with different receivers, all taking different tooling, yet they are reasonably priced?

Honesty Colt has made good business of digging themselves a grave and turning around and peeing on the general publics leg. They need a good shove into that hole they dug...
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Several years ago I bought a 6" Python for around $1200. if I am remembering right. Basicly new, unfired condition made around 1990. Got box and everything. took it to the range a few times then I realized just what they were going for today. #2 son and I decided it belonged in the safe to be taken out by a grand child or great grand child. It is one of two guns that I do not shoot. Other gun is a Browning Model 12 ,20 ga. that is engraved that daughter and I won at a DU dinner. At that dinner daughter also won an H & R 20 ga. She has never shot it . She has shot several of my guns. I am a shooter not a collector but every now and then you get lucky and get a gun that should be collected not shot.

Boolit Master
    Reminds me of a guy who decided that some of his guns were collectible. He put them in the safe. 20 yrs later he got them out and found out they had all gone way up in price. Also found out he would have made about double that if he'd just sold them and put the money in a conservative mutual fund.

My Python was worth a bit less than $1000 in the 80's. Now it's worth around $2000. Not keeping up with inflation.

If Colt had two brain cells to rub together they would do whatever it takes to get the SAA into actual production. The current custom shop only model isn't working for anybody and it's sure not turning a profit. Start rolling out mass produced variants with a real world price of under a grand to put into the shaky hands of people dying to part with their money for a "real" cowboy gun. There are years of profits from long pent up demand here that can be used to rehab the rest of the company. If they can do it with 1911's there is absolutely no reason they can't do it with SAA's.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

The major problem at Colt is they can't roll back the union wages and benefits. Regardless of any new machinery or production methods those union contracts makes just about everything Colt does there in Hartford non-competitive on the market. They need to move to N.C. or Arizona as have other firearm manufacturers, then they could become competitive. They also need to be more realistic, as do most other firearm manufacturers, about the demographics of the real gun buying public. Not doing so is what killed Winchester and U.S. Repeating Arms..........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    They also need to be more realistic, as do most other firearm manufacturers, about the demographics of the real gun buying public. Not doing so is what killed Winchester and U.S. Repeating Arms..........

Larry Gibson
    This means they would need to price their products under $500. The majority wants cheap, not high quality. This has never been more apparent then w/ the current crop of budget bolt action rifles. There is an ever decreasing market for ones priced above say $900.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Sorry, I don't care if they will double in price. I don't 'collect' guns, I shoot them. Someday, my kids, nieces, nephews, grands, may sell them, but, I won't.
    Yep I like to use my toys. Selling them will be my heirs problem.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I don't think high cost and high prices are the problem for Colt so much as broken promises, jumping in bed with DOD while ignoring the shooting public, and simply not having guns available that people want. Kimber is doing quite well for itself in spite of being located next door to NYC. The difference is, Kimber is actually making and selling guns whereas Colt hasn't been for the longest time. In spite of the high price tag and all the whining about "MIMber" they still sell like mad. To their credit, Colt 1911's and .380's are becoming quite popular and available around here so maybe they are doing something right.

Boolit Master
    Colt is being pumped dry by it's ownership. The name will never go away. If Colt super 4 realz goes belly up this time, the name will be bought...probably by USFA who will use Colt's manufacturing equipment to quadruple production of the Zip gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast